Options

Replies

• Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    Oh Thaeda! I feel like a fraud too.

Wow. I am shocked-- because YOU are one of my heroes. Not because you eat "perfectly" every day, but because you have been at this weight loss thing a LONG time and despite slow losses and the occasional set back, you KEEP AT IT. I bet if we look up the word "determination" in the dictionary, your profile pic would be right there! I have NO DOUBT you will continue to kick butt and take names. It's just how you roll. ;)

Sweetie, go back to counseling or at least touch base with your surgical team to get some help there. You can do this, you can succeed at this. You just need some help to get your mind and emotions to accept that this time you will be successful.

The consensus seems to be I need a therapist. LOL I am sensing a pattern here.... :) TY so much for your loving counsel and your support.

• Thaeda
    Options
    Thaeda, thank you for your honesty and speaking what so many of us are feeling and thinking. I know I struggle with the exact same thoughts. With all the weight I've lost I'm convinced that it will all go back on at some point. I'm scared. I'm excited. I'm going to wake up and find it was all a dream.

I continued with counseling post-surgery and that has helped. I've recently been thinking about going back. The issue for me is this: if I don't work through the issues that got me to 284 in the first place I'm prone to go back there again.

Thank you for sharing your deepest fears.

And thank YOU for validating all I have been feeling. So good to know I am not alone.
  • Thaeda
    Options
    You know --- the biggest inspiration is that you are honest. You give me something to think about and make me not feel all alone in my journey. You help me understand that this adventure is lifelong and one that I will always need to plan for and prepare for in order to succeed...no matter what "stage" I am in. Those are gifts and they are truly appreciated.

I had not considered honesty alone was inspirational.... but let's go with it. :) Ty for your support and encouragement.
  • Thaeda
    Options
    jkern9110 wrote: »
    I struggle with my own kind of "crazy" everyday and you opening up the topic to discussion not only helps me to see how you try to work through this issue but to see how others work through theirs.

I wish you and "Ed" the best, but I hope you kick him and the smoking to the curb really soon!

Yes. We all have our own kind of crazy, don't we? :) Thanks much for validating my feelings and being supportive. And yes. Ed will need to go (and so will the cigs....).
  • Thaeda
    Options
    If we only see the good times, we aren't seeing the reality. This is hard, pre surgery, surgery and post surgery. And then there's maintenance. It's never going to be easy, but God knows, it is so worth it.

AMEN!!!
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    And as I read on the main forums a while ago:

"Being Fat is hard. Being Thin is hard. Pick your hard."

Rob

LOVE THIS. I am TOTALLY going to steal this quote. It is effin' AWESOME! TY.
  • Thaeda
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    If it wasn't for all the support I get, and MUCH of it comes from this group and the people in it, I think it would be so much harder than it has been.

THIS!! YES!!! I <3 this group!!! :):):)
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have lost so much weight over the years, problem was that I gained more over the years. I have been around a long time dieting and losing just to gain again. Am I afraid of what will happen once I get to goal? Yes I am afraid, but this time we have support of folks like you. I mean we all have to be honest, and accept that none of us are perfect. I have been good this holiday season, I lost 8 pounds over the holidays, but that does not make me a super hero.
    The girls at the gym think I am an inspiration. Well, the true test is keeping it off.
    I like you am scared to death. I am not at goal yet, so I don't know what it will be like to maintain this weight. We do have each other and possibly we can work together to maintain and pick each other up when we stumble. I am almost 9 months out and I have lost 91 pounds, I want to lose 117 to 127 to be at a normal weight.
    We can do this, and we must do this to maintain our health.
    You are beautiful and just get back to what you know works!
  • weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Oh Thaeda…you are amazing! Honesty is definitely inspirational. Over and over again you give voice to the thoughts that circle in my head (and I know the heads of others). While still relatively early in this journey, I find myself responding in the following manner to comments/complements on my weight loss: "Talk to me in 2 years if its still off." How ungracious is that!?!? My new year's resolution is to accept complements in a more gracious manner. But the fact is, it IS terrifying…and I'm still working on how to deal with that. Please keep sharing your journey, I am so grateful for you and your story.
  • Thaeda
    Options
    I have been good this holiday season, I lost 8 pounds over the holidays, but that does not make me a super hero.
    The girls at the gym think I am an inspiration. Well, the true test is keeping it off.
    I like you am scared to death. I am not at goal yet, so I don't know what it will be like to maintain this weight.

You did well--- if we stay focused we can do this. :)
  • Thaeda
    Options
    weeziebeth wrote: »
    Oh Thaeda…you are amazing! Honesty is definitely inspirational. Over and over again you give voice to the thoughts that circle in my head (and I know the heads of others). While still relatively early in this journey, I find myself responding in the following manner to comments/complements on my weight loss: "Talk to me in 2 years if its still off." How ungracious is that!?!? My new year's resolution is to accept complements in a more gracious manner. But the fact is, it IS terrifying…and I'm still working on how to deal with that. Please keep sharing your journey, I am so grateful for you and your story.

You recognize the importance of accepting the affirmations you receive-- that is half the battle. :) Good for you. Thank you for affirming me-- and I am happy to share my journey in this supportive, accepting forum. :)
  • pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I admire you because you confront things head on. We're all a work in progress.

-Phill
  • Shoefly318
    Shoefly318 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think you are so inspirational you being so honest and real about your experiences has helped me so much knowing that all of us struggle no matter what stage of the process your in
  • Thaeda
    Options
    pcoppock wrote: »
    I admire you because you confront things head on. We're all a work in progress.

-Phill

Well thanks-- and yes, we are all "under construction". ;)
  • Thaeda
    Options
    Shoefly318 wrote: »
    I think you are so inspirational you being so honest and real about your experiences has helped me so much knowing that all of us struggle no matter what stage of the process your in

Happy to help. We are all in this together. :)
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »
    I find myself getting increasingly obsessed with what I am and I am not eating. I track my calories and put a great deal of effort into figuring out ways to eat as little as possible, with as few calories as possible. For now, I am within the calorie range suggested by my nutritionist, but my thinking is out of whack and I know it. I feel like I am sitting on the edge of a binge every few days. My emotions are all over the place. It takes discipline to not work out more than once per day, as I would love to burn more and more and more calories.

This is the part that hit home for me, and I am only 2 months in. Intellectually, I know this tool will work for me if I follow the program. But, my history and fear tell me either I won't lose weight or I will lose some and then gain it all back. Thaeda you show great courage in sharing what is going on with you, and you give a voice to the fears and concerns that many of us have running through our heads but are afraid to voice. You are keeping us all "real" in this process, and in voicing your concerns you also give us a chance to support each other. I believe you are a success and I would be tremendously happy to have results like yours.
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Like the others have said, I truly appreciate your honesty. I can relate to this a lot - I, too, have been very successful at losing weight in the past and am terrified of regain. What worked for me so far, and may be blasphemy since this is MFP, is that I stopped tracking. I was getting completely obsessed with the numbers and strategizing the "right" combination of food. I live by a few simple rules now, and at least so far, they are working and I don't feel like I'm obsessing:
    - I always eat protein before anything. Even if I want a (low carb/grain free/sugar free) brownie, I eat some protein first. It stops up my pyloric valve and I can't eat but a few bites.
    - I don't eat sugar or starches. This is a personal choice, but I know that moderation is not my strong suit and that was my downfall in gaining the weight back in the past. I also feel loads better when these aren't in my system. I don't feel deprived because I get plenty of fat in my diet.
    - If I'm hungry (which honestly isn't that often), I eat more protein.

That's it. No counting, no obsessing, and I've lost 123 pounds and counting. I will starting adding in more veg as I get closer to goal, but I have no plans to substantially change my diet in maintenance. I occasionally eat treats, but with the protein first deal, I still only eat a few bites and don't consider that "cheating" or any other negative food connotation. Am I perfect? Not hardly. I drink waaaaay too much coffee and would rather drink that than eat anything - it is definitely a struggle to make myself eat some days. But, overall, I feel like I've found a plan of attack/eating that I can live with for the long haul.

I truly hope that you are able to find balance and a way of eating that is manageable. Congratulations on your success - you've certainly earned the right to feel good about your accomplishments. Hugs to you!!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Thaeda - you are winning this battle, day by day. I enjoy reading what you have to say and following your success story. At a year out I can relate to much of what you experience and genuinely root for you. Recently I pulled a book off the shelf that I have owened, but not read yet. Very inspiartional and relevant to our chosen path. Here are some quotes that I hope you might find inspirational;

Vince Lombardi
    * "It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.”

* “Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later the man who wins, is the man who thinks he can.”

* “The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.”
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I set my calories at my BMR(this allows for 400cal blowover) and just focus on dealing with my life. when I am sad I cry, when I am angry I am angry, when I am stressed I pray, when I am bored I screw around on facebook... what I don't do is medicate with food. When I think of food-I ask myself "are you thirsty?" "Is it time to eat?" if not then I know my addict brain is seeking to medicate stress. When I am obsessing over wt, exercise or food I say "Wow, you are not dealing with your life-you are trying to run away, sit your *kitten* down, take a deep breath and deal with your problems" "Let go of what you cannot affect, choose an action and timeline for that which you can affect" "Food is NOT your friend, NOT your companion, NOT your savior and it will NOT make you feel better. Dealing is what makes you feel better". Sometimes I go weeks before I have to have this self pep talk again. This is why I still go to support group. Life is hard-Life is infinitely harder if you don't deal with the crap. You can't give the crap of Life power over you. Stare that ba$tard down and kick his *kitten* to the curb. Then you are free and Life is beautiful again. Praying for you, you can do this. You are so worth it!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I set my calories at my BMR(this allows for 400cal blowover) and just focus on dealing with my life. when I am sad I cry, when I am angry I am angry, when I am stressed I pray, when I am bored I screw around on facebook... what I don't do is medicate with food. When I think of food-I ask myself "are you thirsty?" "Is it time to eat?" if not then I know my addict brain is seeking to medicate stress. When I am obsessing over wt, exercise or food I say "Wow, you are not dealing with your life-you are trying to run away, sit your *kitten* down, take a deep breath and deal with your problems" "Let go of what you cannot affect, choose an action and timeline for that which you can affect" "Food is NOT your friend, NOT your companion, NOT your savior and it will NOT make you feel better. Dealing is what makes you feel better". Sometimes I go weeks before I have to have this self pep talk again. This is why I still go to support group. Life is hard-Life is infinitely harder if you don't deal with the crap. You can't give the crap of Life power over you. Stare that ba$tard down and kick his *kitten* to the curb. Then you are free and Life is beautiful again. Praying for you, you can do this. You are so worth it!

Here here! Well said.
  • Thaeda
    Options

You are keeping us all "real" in this process, and in voicing your concerns you also give us a chance to support each other. I believe you are a success and I would be tremendously happy to have results like yours.

Thanks much. :)