Surprise carbs yikes!!!!!

Options
Lei9785gha
Lei9785gha Posts: 73 Member
day three I consumed a disappointing 38 net carbs all because I took some vitamin c called EmergenC and had two lozenges. Getting over an illness now.....I hate that because I lowered my carbs today by using torani vanilla syrup and coffee mate liquid lil cup creamer instead of ten splendas and millions of Splenda packs. Also when did tomatoes get carbs? Never again lol

Please let me know of any foods that has surprised u with a high carb count. Squash is another one that killed my carb count this week.

Replies

• jennysbest
    jennysbest Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Emergen c has a lot of carbs???? I never thought to look at my vitamins... I drink an emergen c every morning. :\
  • Lei9785gha
    Options
    jennysbest wrote: »
    Emergen c has a lot of carbs???? I never thought to look at my vitamins... I drink an emergen c every morning. :\

yes 6 carbs per pack and me either but I started trying to add everything I put n my mouth to my food diary for this very reason and BAM!!!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    They really do put sugar in everything. Ran into the same thing so some Vit C we had here at the house. Salad dressings is another wild card. I went over with some fruit. Because of the 'hidden' carbs I try to shoot for only 25g so I really stay under 50g. The sauce they put on like chicken wings is loaded with sugar often.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    When I first started keto, I was shocked about how many carbs are in milk. Now, it's one thing I don't eat and truly miss.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free gum, cough syrup, cough drops.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    When I first started keto, I was shocked about how many carbs are in milk. Now, it's one thing I don't eat and truly miss.

Who needs milk when you have cream? :wink:

Seriously, though, if you want milk, pick up (or make) unsweetened almond milk and do about 2 parts almond milk and 1 part cream. Bam! Rich, creamy milk drink, with only about 2-3g of carbs. Add some cocoa powder and a drop or two of liquid stevia and you have an awesome chocolate milk (may need to use a blender to get the cocoa to mix, though).

For vitamin C, try lemons. 50% daily vitamin C per fruit, and only 5g total carbs (1.4g sugar, 1.6g fiber). Squeeze the lemon, add water and sweetener of your choice, and you have healthy lemonade!

Or bell pepers. 1 bell pepper has 200% daily vitamin C for 4.5g carbs (3.2g sugar, .9g fiber).

1c kale = 134% vit C, 6g carbs
    1c broccoli = 135% vit C, 6g carbs (2.4g fiber, 1.6g sugar)

Though, in fairness, according to the website, you're getting close to 2000% daily value of vitamin C. That's quite a punch for 5g sugar, so I guess weigh your options. Personally, though, I've found that reaching for the veggies seems to do the trick when I feel a cold coming on.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    There are carbs in so many things you may never think about. Sugar and starch is added to so much stuff, esp. powdered stuff so it won't stick together. This is why Splenda packets have carbs...they have an anti-caking agent in the packet...a starch.

My thoughts run along the lines of "if the carbs are from healthy veggies, so what if they go over a bit". If the carbs are from sweets, soda, juice, etc., then I'd recalculate. You may have a different perspective.

Onions are fairly high carb for the amount you get. Tomatoes are not really high carb, but I think we tend to eat a lot of them when we eat them, and the serving size ups the carb count. Most squash is pretty carb heavy. Spaghetti Squash is on the lower end for squashes. Try it.

Oh, and yes, check all vitamins, lozenges, liquid meds, even antacids.

And one more thing....labels lie. The FDA allows fudging and rounding on labels of up to 20%. A common thing I see on MFP is that people log 3 eggs as 0 carbs because that is what the package says...because it's been rounded down. Eggs have carbs. In fact, large eggs usually have about .5 carbs per egg. So, 3 eggs is going to cost you 1.5 carbs. Cheeses are another culprit of this rounding down the carbs thing. You can bet 3 oz of cheese isn't going to be 0 carb. Cheese has carbs...very low, but still. Most cheeses have about 1 carb per ounce. Utilizing the USDA database to verify counts is good. You can also select the entries that do not have an * by them. Those usually are the USDA database counts, and will count the carbs in your eggs.

Remember, MFP rounds as well. The reason I use the non * items for most of my selections is because it counts the carbs and adds them up, and then seems to round them upward. So naturally I'm probably over-estimating my carbs, not underestimating them.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    There are carbs in so many things you may never think about. Sugar and starch is added to so much stuff, esp. powdered stuff so it won't stick together. This is why Splenda packets have carbs...they have an anti-caking agent in the packet...a starch.

My thoughts run along the lines of "if the carbs are from healthy veggies, so what if they go over a bit". If the carbs are from sweets, soda, juice, etc., then I'd recalculate. You may have a different perspective.

Onions are fairly high carb for the amount you get. Tomatoes are not really high carb, but I think we tend to eat a lot of them when we eat them, and the serving size ups the carb count. Most squash is pretty carb heavy. Spaghetti Squash is on the lower end for squashes. Try it.

Oh, and yes, check all vitamins, lozenges, liquid meds, even antacids.

And one more thing....labels lie. The FDA allows fudging and rounding on labels of up to 20%. A common thing I see on MFP is that people log 3 eggs as 0 carbs because that is what the package says...because it's been rounded down. Eggs have carbs. In fact, large eggs usually have about .5 carbs per egg. So, 3 eggs is going to cost you 1.5 carbs. Cheeses are another culprit of this rounding down the carbs thing. You can bet 3 oz of cheese isn't going to be 0 carb. Cheese has carbs...very low, but still. Most cheeses have about 1 carb per ounce. Utilizing the USDA database to verify counts is good. You can also select the entries that do not have an * by them. Those usually are the USDA database counts, and will count the carbs in your eggs.

Remember, MFP rounds as well. The reason I use the non * items for most of my selections is because it counts the carbs and adds them up, and then seems to round them upward. So naturally I'm probably over-estimating my carbs, not underestimating them.

There's also a difference in the carbs between pre-shredded cheese and block cheese. The pre-shredded stuff generally has potato starch added to it, which increases the carb count pretty dramatically (relatively speaking). Block cheese doesn't have this, so it has a fair bit less. Still not exactly 0, arguably, but still enough to be significant if you eat a lot.

The entries without asterisks may also be ones you've input, too, I've noticed. I've seen a couple entries that don't have asterisks that appear to be my own recipes. There are a few others that I question are USDA-verified, as well, so it seems the no asterisk thing means a few things, so do be mindful of that.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    You probably don't need to be supplementing Vitamin C, in any case, especially if the 5g of carbs would be a significant amount compared to your daily consumption. The lower your carb consumption, the lower your need for vitamin C. The explanation I have seen has to do with it being consumed as part of the metabolic pathway for carbs and/or competing for the same metabolic pathway. I forget the specifics, and I am at work and can't check right now. How low can the requirement get? Well, at 0g of carbs, there is essentially no requirement for dietary vitamin C. This was tested back almost 100 years ago where two men survived only on meat (no egg, dairy, supplements, or vegetable matter of any sort) for a year without any deficiencies. In particular, they were looking for scurvy and expected it to manifest within the first month but it never manifested at all.

I'm not suggesting you ignore your vitamin C altogether, but you'll end up with ample amounts from the vegetables you're eating. The broccoli and kale mentioned above, for example, provide over 100% of the RDA... which is much higher than you'll actually need since you're not consuming the RDA of carbs along with it. Trying to supplement vitamin C just means adding an extra 5g of carbs to your diet without justified need.
  • sljohnson1207
    Options
    frob23 wrote: »
    You probably don't need to be supplementing Vitamin C, in any case, especially if the 5g of carbs would be a significant amount compared to your daily consumption. The lower your carb consumption, the lower your need for vitamin C. The explanation I have seen has to do with it being consumed as part of the metabolic pathway for carbs and/or competing for the same metabolic pathway. I forget the specifics, and I am at work and can't check right now. How low can the requirement get? Well, at 0g of carbs, there is essentially no requirement for dietary vitamin C. This was tested back almost 100 years ago where two men survived only on meat (no egg, dairy, supplements, or vegetable matter of any sort) for a year without any deficiencies. In particular, they were looking for scurvy and expected it to manifest within the first month but it never manifested at all.

I'm not suggesting you ignore your vitamin C altogether, but you'll end up with ample amounts from the vegetables you're eating. The broccoli and kale mentioned above, for example, provide over 100% of the RDA... which is much higher than you'll actually need since you're not consuming the RDA of carbs along with it. Trying to supplement vitamin C just means adding an extra 5g of carbs to your diet without justified need.

You are right about the shredded cheese. I had forgotten that about it, as I don't buy it due to the starch and sometimes natamycin added to it.

• Lei9785gha
    Options
    Some much great information. I will definitely use it all.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Lei9785gha wrote: »
    day three I consumed a disappointing 38 net carbs all because I took some vitamin c called EmergenC and had two lozenges. Getting over an illness now.....I hate that because I lowered my carbs today by using torani vanilla syrup and coffee mate liquid lil cup creamer instead of ten splendas and millions of Splenda packs. Also when did tomatoes get carbs? Never again lol

Please let me know of any foods that has surprised u with a high carb count. Squash is another one that killed my carb count this week.

• annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Brussel Sprouts. Yikes , who knew
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Brussel Sprouts. Yikes , who knew

So that is one more thing that took me out last weekend. Thanks to your post I Googled it and saw the carbs.

• Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Bananas, lentils....staying low is a real challenge for me.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I was just looking at carbs in food. I can eat 25 boiled eggs or one small apple to stay near 25g of carbs in one day.

• sljohnson1207
    Options
    B.Sprouts are kind of high for the little amount you get. It is esp. hard if you LUV them.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    B.Sprouts are kind of high for the little amount you get. It is esp. hard if you LUV them.

I feel you. I have to budget to get my B. Sprouts. They are worth it though.
    You are right about the shredded cheese. I had forgotten that about it, as I don't buy it due to the starch and sometimes natamycin added to it.
    Yeah. If I don't have the carbs to fool with, I just shred my own cheese.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I find that it's not that easy to find many entries without an *. Oh, how I love roasted Brussels sprouts. Tomatoes are high, too. I could go for some tomato soup.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    19g carbs in 2 tablespoons of liquid nyquil. Bleh. But worth it to have actually slept the last two nights, whatever.