I've fallen (off the wagon) and Can't Get Back up!!!

Options
thadius65
thadius65 Posts: 36 Member
Well, it only took a short 18 months to go from my low of 225lbs back up to 275lbs. I held off for longer than prior, but just seems to be a yo-yo event for me. Old habits seem to eventually creep back in (food, beer, slug like). Anyone find themselves able to break free of old habbits for longer the 6-12months?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    For me, the key is to set up a definitive event and charge toward that. For example, I scheduled a tough mudder with my daughter and invited several of my friends (most said no), but I have that on the calendar and have to work toward being fit enough for that. Once I get into that, I’ll look for something else down the road and hit it again.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm a 3-peater. Lost the same 40-50 lbs 3 times since my mid-thirties. Biggest difference this time is that I have continued to track/log calories. My old eating habits are still there, a few extra bites every time I pass the kitchen, waiting to pack the pounds back on. Also what Allan said, having new goals has helped keep the appropriate focus on eating and exercising.
  • bigdipperdave
    bigdipperdave Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Man its tough. The problem with a definitive event is what happens afterwords. I went from 210 to 185 in preparation of my daughters wedding last summer, then a cross country move, new job, quit job, chain of events and somehow woke up at 225 yesterday so starting over again. But I agree it makes sense to have an event or goal, just have to make sure you have a plan for afterwards.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    Yes, it is important to have another goal to roll into. After I complete a tough mudder in March, I’m immediately starting on a strength training goal. I want to max on deadlift over 500 lbs, squat over 315 lbs, and strict press over 185 lbs by my 50th birthday.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I agree with Allan completely - I had dropped 30 lb for a martial arts event over the course of 6 months.. But then once it was over, old habits started creeping back in, and I gained 20 back.

Now I've got multiple goals - with small, bite-size step-goals that are easily achievable to get me there.

#1 - Drop to ideal weight
    1 lb / week (12 lb down)
    Current weight doesn't matter - just get that 1 lb.
    Track food every day (70+ days and counting...)
    Stop eating back exercise calories (just started this week)
    Repeat until ideal weight achieved.

#2 - Compete in a tournament this fall.
    Attend weekly tournament training

#4 Get into the best shape of my life.
    Increase morning walk duration and pace (started at 10 min, up to 45)
    Increase workouts to 4 nights / week
    Learn how to use jump rope (work in progress)
    Increase jump-rope to 20 min, 3x/week (currently 10 min, 2x/week)
    Increase pushups to 10 sets 10 reps (currently 10 sets 7 reps)
    Increase pushup elevation - eventual goal to do handstand pushups (currently 8 inches)
    Start doing body-weight squats
    Increase squats to 10 sets 10 reps
    Learn how to do pistol squats
    Purchase and start using pull-up bands
    Increase assisted pull-ups to 4 sets 10 reps.
    Increase pull-up resistance until unassisted pull-ups

I also plan to create new goals short term and intermediate spots to replace the ones I have now... which was the biggest problem I had during my last go-round.. I was so focused on my one immediate goal that once it was over, I lost my drive to continue.
  • marksniles
    marksniles Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was on weightwatchers a few years ago and lost over 30 lbs. After that I became cocky and over a period of 3 years I gained almost all of it back. Now I have no motivation to get on that treadmill again to get rid of all these extra pounds.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    When motivation fails... Use discipline. Do it even when you don't feel like it... Eventually your mind will catch up.
  • Ronin1601
    Ronin1601 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bwmalone wrote: »
    When motivation fails... Use discipline. Do it even when you don't feel like it... Eventually your mind will catch up.

Like it !!

• AllanMisner
    Options
    bwmalone wrote: »

That really only works if you’ve made a commitment. Think of it in terms of the commitment you make when you get married. You’re not going to ‘cheat’ or quit on that relationship straight away. So, if you made a similar commitment to yourself, you can find ways to meet that same expectation for yourself. It all starts with a commitment, then the motivation and discipline come as a matter of course.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Good point, Allan - I seldom start something without intending to see it through.. so for me, I guess the commitment is implied.

But - I am a strong believer in the adage "Where the body leads, the mind will follow." - that even if you don't believe in it, even if you aren't motivated, even if you can't get the mental and emotional part of you to "go for it" - just the act of DOING will bring the mind along for the ride.

I see this most often with workouts... there are times that I really am feeling lazy and the call of the sofa and TV is much stronger than my desire to work out... but if I push that aside, and work out anyway, I find that feeling quickly goes away, I have a great workout. I have never once got done and thought "Wow, I really wish I'd sat and watched TV instead."

• jimhusemann
    jimhusemann Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Allan is right, without the commitment I would never be where I am or where I'm going.
    Motivation ebbs and it can bring you down on yourself. It is the commitment that will drive you over the rough patches and on to your goals.