can anyone have a look at my food diary for today?

Options
embersdream
embersdream Posts: 401 Member
am i doing this right? just today :)

Replies

• traveljjo
    traveljjo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I took a peak. Depends on what your goals are and how your body works... If you want to achieve ketosis, then you are a bit high in carbs so you would want to take blood ketones to be sure. The best advice I received was "get your carbs from veggies" and while I don't stick to this exclusively (my treat is wine) I try my best to think this way first- then any extra I get from nuts or fruit is just a small bonus. The pear and coconut milk are high enough that they bloat it up for you. Some say 20g, some say 50g, some say take away the fiber... in the end I got the meter because thats the only way to know for sure.

Either way, you have a good start at lowering carbs dramatically.
  • x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    To be blunt, no. You're eating too much protein in contrast to fat, and far too many carbs (looking at Saturday, well this seems to be a reoccurring theme.)

Just remember, this is a high fat diet, only moderate protein. Do not be afraid of fat.

Also try getting your carbs from leafy greens instead of fruit, or anything with the word "corn" in it. Bread (specifically grains) are also generally not accepted on Keto, unless you make a coconut flour based bread. Also, the only fruit they say you're allowed to have as a treat once you are keto adapted are low GI fruits like raspberries, and blueberries. However, they are really easy to over eat if you're keto minded.

Keto bread example here.
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This from: dietdoctor.com/yes-a-low-carb-diet-greatly-lowers-your-insulin

"...more carbohydrates lead to more insulin which leads to more fat accumulation. With more details this can be written as follows:

Too many (bad) carbohydrates – > pathologically high insulin levels – > obesity...'

That's the operating principle, anyway...
    dietary tweaking takes some practice, yes..?

Also:
    Ann Intern Med. 2005 Mar 15;142(6):403-11.
    Effect of a low-carbohydrate diet on appetite,
    blood glucose levels, and insulin resistance in
    obese patients with type 2 diabetes.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15767618/
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    To be blunt, no. You're eating too much protein in contrast to fat, and far too many carbs (looking at Saturday, well this seems to be a reoccurring theme.)

Just remember, this is a high fat diet, only moderate protein. Do not be afraid of fat.

Also try getting your carbs from leafy greens instead of fruit, or anything with the word "corn" in it. Bread (specifically grains) are also generally not accepted on Keto, unless you make a coconut flour based bread. Also, the only fruit they say you're allowed to have as a treat once you are keto adapted are low GI fruits like raspberries, and blueberries. However, they are really easy to over eat if you're keto minded.

Keto bread example here.

I agree with this assessment, and also I'm very skeptical of any protein powder that says it's zero carb. Nearly impossible, esp. if it's whey protein, which in and of itself, tends to spike blood sugar.

Too much protein, far too low on fat. Can't see your fiber count, so don't know the net carbs, but looking at the items eaten, I'm going to say fiber is very, very low, so wouldn't be able to subtract much at all from that 68 g carb count.

If you want ketosis, this is not the way to do it. High protein, low carb, low fat diets are hard on your body and your kidneys. You need the fats to replace the carbs. Replacing the carbs with protein makes your body work extra hard, and it will start converting that protein into glucose through glucogenesis and spike your blood sugar. LCHF/keto diets are all about not spiking blood sugar and the ups and downs of insulin that go with it. Many folks that eat this way do it solely because their insulin doesn't work right.

You need High fat, moderate protein, and low carbs. Try 5% carbs, 65% fats, and 30% protein to start. Then adjust fat up and protein down until you get in a rhythm of ketosis and losing weight. When you do this properly, your body is going to excrete tons of sodium, potassium, and magnesium because it is a naturally diuretic way of eating. You need to drink a lot of water, salt your food freely (unless you have a contraindication for that), and take a pot/mag supplement.

• comeondominican
    comeondominican Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had a look at your diary for today. I think we a few tweaks you will find yourself in ketosis. Its a good start. I avoid any fruit, would never eat honey and find the shakes too processed. I prefer real food. I aim for less than 20g of net carbs a day, around 90g of protein and around 115 grams of fat. I made this tweak at the beginning of the year as I dont think i was eating enough fat before. I went from being 5 weeks in to a stall to losing 7lbs in 2 weeks.

High fat, low carb, moderate protein, clean unprocessed foods and LOTS of water
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

Ember,

Lose = pear. Fruits are pretty much out. :(
    Lose = coconut water (drink tea with Splenda or Stevia)
    Lose some of the Protein, scale it back (as mentioned above)
    Eat more fat, like double it ~ minimum

With all that said, it will take a few weeks to get it right. Don't worry, you can do it. Just the fact that you asked ~ is a good sign you are on your way to success. :D

As others above mentioned = set your macros to 70% fat, 25% protein, 5 carbs. If you are just now weaning yourself off of carbs, try the first few weeks by keeping it around 50. Then as you figure things out, try to keep it closer to 25-30 g carbs. Then if you get into a stall, go under 20g carbs.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    One more thing. Don't try to eat every individual meal perfectly balanced in your macros. If you eat three times a day, or two times a day, after your first meal, review how your macros look on the colored pie chart on your phone or I-pad (let me know if you can't find this in MFP) then if you're a little low on one macro, eat more of that on your next meal. Or if high on one, eat less on next meal.

To do this, you need to know which foods are high/low in fat, protein and carbs. I posted an excel spreadsheet with that info a few weeks ago. Try to find it and review it.

I hope this helps,

• embersdream
    Options

Keto bread example here.
    yes im not having any breads t all now. and the fruit... well I am using up what i have at home first because its a waste and i have $80 to last me a week and a half , so after that no fruit. its nearly ll gone. but the coconut water(not coconut milk) ?? didnt know that wasnt ok , but thanks
  • embersdream
    Options

Keto bread example here.

I agree with this assessment, and also I'm very skeptical of any protein powder that says it's zero carb. Nearly impossible, esp. if it's whey protein, which in and of itself, tends to spike blood sugar.

Too much protein, far too low on fat. Can't see your fiber count, so don't know the net carbs, but looking at the items eaten, I'm going to say fiber is very, very low, so wouldn't be able to subtract much at all from that 68 g carb count.

If you want ketosis, this is not the way to do it. High protein, low carb, low fat diets are hard on your body and your kidneys. You need the fats to replace the carbs. Replacing the carbs with protein makes your body work extra hard, and it will start converting that protein into glucose through glucogenesis and spike your blood sugar. LCHF/keto diets are all about not spiking blood sugar and the ups and downs of insulin that go with it. Many folks that eat this way do it solely because their insulin doesn't work right.

You need High fat, moderate protein, and low carbs. Try 5% carbs, 65% fats, and 30% protein to start. Then adjust fat up and protein down until you get in a rhythm of ketosis and losing weight. When you do this properly, your body is going to excrete tons of sodium, potassium, and magnesium because it is a naturally diuretic way of eating. You need to drink a lot of water, salt your food freely (unless you have a contraindication for that), and take a pot/mag supplement.
    ok this makes sense, not sure how exactly to do the high fat without the protein yet. ill figure it. i was given a keto diet by a naturopath a long time ago , so trying to remember it. proteing though for muscle building yeah? the only carbs i had were lettuce and cucumber and i did have the pear which i realise now is off , but will use up what i have first. .
  • embersdream
    Options
    Hi, I had a look at your diary for today. I think we a few tweaks you will find yourself in ketosis. Its a good start. I avoid any fruit, would never eat honey and find the shakes too processed. I prefer real food. I aim for less than 20g of net carbs a day, around 90g of protein and around 115 grams of fat. I made this tweak at the beginning of the year as I dont think i was eating enough fat before. I went from being 5 weeks in to a stall to losing 7lbs in 2 weeks.

High fat, low carb, moderate protein, clean unprocessed foods and LOTS of water
    ok it would be great to see your diary , it will give me a better idea i think

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Keto bread example here.
    yes im not having any breads t all now. and the fruit... well I am using up what i have at home first because its a waste and i have $80 to last me a week and a half , so after that no fruit. its nearly ll gone. but the coconut water(not coconut milk) ?? didnt know that wasnt ok , but thanks

coconut water is pretty high in carbs. In fact, one serving is going to set you back around 10 carbs for not very much liquid. If you go hard core keto, that's half of your carbs per day, not including any small carbs from eggs, cheese, dairy, veggies, etc.

You don't have to do very low carb if you don't want to. In fact, you will probably lose weight eating 70 carbs per day, or even 100, depending on how much you exercise, how many carbs you ate before, and if you get that fat macro up, and take the protein down some. That would be a lower carb diet, but not expecting ketosis. Your choice, really.
  • embersdream
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

Ember,

Lose = pear. Fruits are pretty much out. :(
    Lose = coconut water (drink tea with Splenda or Stevia)
    Lose some of the Protein, scale it back (as mentioned above)
    Eat more fat, like double it ~ minimum

With all that said, it will take a few weeks to get it right. Don't worry, you can do it. Just the fact that you asked ~ is a good sign you are on your way to success. :D

As others above mentioned = set your macros to 70% fat, 25% protein, 5 carbs. If you are just now weaning yourself off of carbs, try the first few weeks by keeping it around 50. Then as you figure things out, try to keep it closer to 25-30 g carbs. Then if you get into a stall, go under 20g carbs.

I hope this helps,

thanx Dan thats very clear , much apreciated ! thankyou thankyou

• x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Depending on the brand, coconut milk (almond breeze is the most stat friendly imo,) and it also comes in sugar free form, whereas coconut water usually has upwards of 9g of sugar, and it's typically higher in carbs also.

Your question was "Am I doing it right? Just today." The answer was simply no, no you were not. I did not mean to offend, just wanted to point you in the right direction.

Also, the bread example, is perfectly legit to have on keto as it's made from almond flour. You can also do flax based bread/buns:

Another example

I highly recommend you give this webpage a read (it's very detailed):

http://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-food-list/

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    ok this makes sense, not sure how exactly to do the high fat without the protein yet.

Common easy ways for many people:

-- add cheese to things that you like, it adds some fat and usually tastes awesome.
    -- Replace boneless/skinless chicken breast with chicken thighs with the skin on. Its cheaper and adds fat and to many people tastes way better.
    -- No buying lean beef anymore, 85/15 or even 80/20 is going to be cheaper, taste better, and fit keto macros a lot better.

Also, cooking in butter or coconut oil is awesome.
  • embersdream
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    ok this makes sense, not sure how exactly to do the high fat without the protein yet.

Common easy ways for many people:

-- add cheese to things that you like, it adds some fat and usually tastes awesome.
    -- Replace boneless/skinless chicken breast with chicken thighs with the skin on. Its cheaper and adds fat and to many people tastes way better.
    -- No buying lean beef anymore, 85/15 or even 80/20 is going to be cheaper, taste better, and fit keto macros a lot better.

Also, cooking in butter or coconut oil is awesome.
    ok thanks . I can tolerate very little cheese , my digestive system totally has a melt down, ut yes to the rest :)
  • embersdream
    Options
    Depending on the brand, coconut milk (almond breeze is the most stat friendly imo,) and it also comes in sugar free form, whereas coconut water usually has upwards of 9g of sugar, and it's typically higher in carbs also.

Your question was "Am I doing it right? Just today." The answer was simply no, no you were not. I did not mean to offend, just wanted to point you in the right direction.

Also, the bread example, is perfectly legit to have on keto as it's made from almond flour. You can also do flax based bread/buns:

Another example

ok thankyou again.
  • embersdream
    Options

Another example

i hadnt taken offense at all BTW :smile: just dont like coconut milk :smile:

• embersdream
    Options
    oh i have found today a bit different, didnt see most of these posts until after breakfast. still going to use up some of the stuff i have here though first. My car broke down so i cant even get to the shops to get keto style ingredients arrgh! but i do think ive done better today. big headache that feels like its from the fats/oils. i got that feeling. so going to have mushrooms, egg and a little broccoli for dinner( again the greens need to be used up) see if i can find cheese in my fridge but i think im out( as i dont eat it very often).
    What abou tofu? not fatty enough i guess?
  • embersdream
    Options
    ha there was no broccoli anyway
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I can tolerate very little cheese , my digestive system totally has a melt down

Well I was about to say that I thought I saw a post here a few days about about keto without dairy, but I see you were the one that started that.

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/search?q=dairy+free&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all

There is a search of the keto subreddit for the phrase "Dairy Free". Might help some.

What abou tofu? not fatty enough i guess?

1/2 cup of tofu according to google is 6g fat/1.9g net carbs (2.3-0.4 fiber)/10g protein. 94 calories total. Nothing wrong with that if you like tofu. For a lot of things like this the answer is "if it fits your macros". This one food doesn't need to have an ideal ratio of fat to protein, if you like it, go for it, and just adjust other things to find a little more fat to get to the numbers you want.