Savory Fat Bombs?

Options

Replies

• nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    dldoddy wrote: »
    @baconslave- I buy ghee online (vitacost, luckyvitamin) I think it doesn't cost any more to buy it than to purchase all the butter to make it. (I use grass-fed butter, it costs a little more.)

I do this too. You can actually get it fairly cheap, all things considered.
  • nill4me
    Options
    @baconslave- I buy ghee online (vitacost, luckyvitamin) I think it doesn't cost any more to buy it than to purchase all the butter to make it. (I use grass-fed butter, it costs a little more.)

I saw Ghee at the grocery store. It was in a glass jar down an aisle, so I imagine it's shelf stable? Kinda weirded me out.

Yes ma'am, its shelf stable, since they remove all of the milk solids from it, and the moisture. I have a huge jar of it in my cabinet, and keep a little jar in my desk drawer at work next to my tub-o-coconut oil.
  • nill4me
    Options
    I'm trying to stay away from the artificial sweeteners and right now I don't have any coconut products, but sometimes I have trouble getting my fat percentage up there enough so I wanted to possibly try making some fat bombs. I have cream cheese, olive oil, and butter. I was thinking about maybe making something with the cream cheese and butter and maybe add some bacon and cheese? Do you guys make these kind of things?

sausage balls...using ground pork rinds as a binder instead of breadcrumbs.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »

I saw Ghee at the grocery store. It was in a glass jar down an aisle, so I imagine it's shelf stable? Kinda weirded me out.

Yes ma'am, its shelf stable, since they remove all of the milk solids from it, and the moisture. I have a huge jar of it in my cabinet, and keep a little jar in my desk drawer at work next to my tub-o-coconut oil.

Do you use it instead if butter or what?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »
    Do you use it instead if butter or what?
    I know you weren't asking me, but ya, use it instead of butter. It has a higher smoke point so it's great for frying.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

Which store? I can only find it at Trader Joe's (a long drive for me)

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get past the flavor or odour of Ghee. I stick to frying with Grapeseed oil.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

Kroger!

I really only fry eggs in butter anyway, other things I default to bacon fat or olive oil. Tbh, it looked gross in the jar.
  • DittoDan
    Options

Kroger!

I really only fry eggs in butter anyway, other things I default to bacon fat or olive oil. Tbh, it looked gross in the jar.

Gosh I shop at two different Kroger's all the time. The Ghee I bought at Trader Joes was in a jar and in the non-refrigerated aisle. What aisle/section did you find it in?

Thank you Nic.

• ABrownGrl
    ABrownGrl Posts: 41 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I need to figure out to make ghee. Both DH and ds10 are lactose intolerant and I hate using margarine. It would be nice to figure out how to make cream sauces for them. LCHF problems...

I recommend trying OMGhee if making it seems like too much trouble or time consuming. It may be a little more expensive than the stuff you can pickup at your local Trader Joe's or such, but the flavor and smoothness is worth every dollar. Plus you're supporting a local business which is a always a fabulous thing. They make a cultured and regular. OMGhee is my go to fat! I could *almost* eat it by the spoon...

You have to order online directly from the guy. If you google it, you'll find him.
  • ABrownGrl
    Options
    hotsungirl wrote: »
    I couldn't get past the flavor or odour of Ghee. I stick to frying with Grapeseed oil.

Try a different brand. They aren't all created equal! :)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options

Kroger!

Gosh I shop at two different Kroger's all the time. The Ghee I bought at Trader Joes was in a jar and in the non-refrigerated aisle. What aisle/section did you find it in?

Thank you Nic.

I believe I was on the ethnic food aisle, but don't quote me. That or the baking aisle. I think I saw it when the kids were picking ingredients to make fudge, lol.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    ABrownGrl wrote: »
    I need to figure out to make ghee. Both DH and ds10 are lactose intolerant and I hate using margarine. It would be nice to figure out how to make cream sauces for them. LCHF problems...

I recommend trying OMGhee if making it seems like too much trouble or time consuming. It may be a little more expensive than the stuff you can pickup at your local Trader Joe's or such, but the flavor and smoothness is worth every dollar. Plus you're supporting a local business which is a always a fabulous thing. They make a cultured and regular. OMGhee is my go to fat! I could *almost* eat it by the spoon...

You have to order online directly from the guy. If you google it, you'll find him.

Thanks ABrownGrl,

I went to the site and see almost everything is sold out. They do have cultured Ghee. Have you ever tried that? I am wondering if it tastes different?

• BritDillinger
    Options
    http://www.lowcarbsosimple.com/guest-post-strawberry-cheesecake-fat-bombs/

Strawberry Cheesecake Fat Bombs
    • 1/2 cup = 120 ml = 2.5 oz = 70 g strawberries, fresh or frozen
    • 3/4 cup = 180 ml = 5.3 oz = 150 g cream cheese, softened
    • 1/4 cup = 60 ml = 2 oz = 60 g butter or coconut oil, softened
    • 2 tablespoons = 0.7 oz = 20 g powdered erythritol OR 10–15 drops liquid stevia
    • 1 vanilla bean OR 1/2–1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Directions
    1. Place the cream cheese and butter cut into small pieces in to a mixing bowl. Leave at room temperature for 30–60 minutes until softened. Make sure the butter is softened, otherwise it will be difficult to mix and achieve a smooth texture. Do not microwave the butter – the mixture needs to stay firm.
    2. Meanwhile, wash the strawberries and remove the green parts. Place them into a bowl and mash using a fork or place in a blender for a smooth texture.
    3. Add the powdered Erythritol (or stevia), vanilla extract and mix well. Before you mix the strawberries with the remaining ingredients, make sure they have reached room temperature.
    4. Add to the bowl with softened butter and cream cheese.
    5. Use a hand whisk or food processor and mix until well combined.
    6. Spoon the mixture into small muffin silicon molds or candy molds. Place in the freezer for about 2 hours or until set.
    7. When done, unmold the fat bombs and place into a container. Keep in the freezer and enjoy any time!
    - - - - -

These are fantastic. You don't have to add the sugar alcohol and I used imitation strawberry extract versus using real strawberries. Very delicious. I have a whole container of them in my freezer. Mmmm~
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Ghee is super easy to make, dump butter into a small slow cooker and let it go for 24 hours, then strain resulting liquid through cheese cloth. As for savory fat bombs, how about bulletproof coffee or bulletproof broth? You can make it with coconut oil.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    Ghee is super easy to make, dump butter into a small slow cooker and let it go for 24 hours, then strain resulting liquid through cheese cloth. As for savory fat bombs, how about bulletproof coffee or bulletproof broth? You can make it with coconut oil.

I take my morning coffee with 10g coconut oil and 2tbsp hwc. Boom, fat bomb, lol.
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Schmaltz & Gribenes an Addictive Snack,
    or 'How to Enjoy Fresh Fried, Onion Flavored,
    Salty Chicken Skins in place of Pork Rinds...
    LCHF Heaven..!
    tinyurl.com/ms2ymha
  • Pddavis13
    Pddavis13 Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    During the holidays I made mini bacon-covered cheeseballs using cream cheese, cheddar, garlic, chives and lots of crispy bacon. Dee-lish! Whenever I wanted...something... I would pull one out of the fridge and pop it in my mouth! :smile:
  • moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I made these yesterday. Great with cucumber slices or celery.

ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/01/25/Savory-Salmon-Fat-Bombs
  • ABrownGrl
    Options
    ABrownGrl wrote: »

Thanks ABrownGrl,

I went to the site and see almost everything is sold out. They do have cultured Ghee. Have you ever tried that? I am wondering if it tastes different?

They make each jar by hand in their kitchen so I know they do sell out at times. Their spring batch is supposed to be the best of the best so maybe hold out for that? I've had both the cultured and regular. I prefer the regular but like them both.