Surprise carbs yikes!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh!!! I take Zzquil every night and never even checked the label!!! Shoot!
  • Pddavis13
    Pddavis13 Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Spaghetti sauce was a real eye-opener for me today. Every jar was loaded with carbs and sugar. They kept going up. One jar had 8 grams/serving, another had 10. Found one with a whopping 16 grams! Grabbed the Rao Diavolo that had just 3 to go with this week's spaghetti squash.

On a positive note, the cheese sauces were about 2-3 grams per serving. May experiment with those in the coming weeks. :-)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    19g carbs in 2 tablespoons of liquid nyquil. Bleh. But worth it to have actually slept the last two nights, whatever.

WOW, seriously??? I've never looked at Nyquil or any other medicine.

But yes, marinara sauce, ketchup etc were all big eye openers for me, with respect to the sugar. And store bought bread. *I'm not low carb but I am slow carb, so sugars matter a lot to me*.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Interesting to be in the deli section, and look at the meat. Carbs vary widely, compare smoked turkey to baked turkey to honey glazed.. forget about ham.

I checked carbs on EVERYTHING today. The highest carb items I bought were eggs and swiss chard.
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Always, always check the nutritional value of something before you put it in your mouth. "Hidden" carbs are in so many products!
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Pddavis13 wrote: »
    Spaghetti sauce was a real eye-opener for me today. Every jar was loaded with carbs and sugar. They kept going up. One jar had 8 grams/serving, another had 10. Found one with a whopping 16 grams! Grabbed the Rao Diavolo that had just 3 to go with this week's spaghetti squash.

On a positive note, the cheese sauces were about 2-3 grams per serving. May experiment with those in the coming weeks. :-)

Homemade spaghetti sauce is really easy and much lower due to not adding sugar.

• Lei9785gha
    Lei9785gha Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Cole slaw mix....ahhhhhhhhhh
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Just read for sugar content. We had pasta tonight (I know, I know) but I was adamant about the pasta sauce. Hunts brand had the lowest amount and I added lean turkey to the mix. My biggest complaint about hidden carbs comes for processed meats (I know). I just don't care to buy those any more. I can roast a turkey breast, or make chicken on my own, without all of the added sugar and corn starch fillers.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Interesting to be in the deli section, and look at the meat. Carbs vary widely, compare smoked turkey to baked turkey to honey glazed.. forget about ham.

I checked carbs on EVERYTHING today. The highest carb items I bought were eggs and swiss chard.

Yep, lunchmeats can be a real bummer with carbs. They often also contain gluten in addition to cornstarch and other starches in general to "fill" them up, I guess. Boar's Head is a good "go to" brand for not having that crap in their meats.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Lei9785gha wrote: »
    Cole slaw mix....ahhhhhhhhhh

Yes coleslaw surprised me! I mean now I have the confidence to make my own and use a sugar substitute but why?

Add me to the people surprised by milk (although since I stop eating cereal when low carbing I have no use for it), and tomato products. I'm also bummed about 1000 island dressing :/
  • edurham79
    Options
    I try to do 25 or less carbs a day. Looked at my vitamins today and between my multi vitamin and fiber supplement there are 4 net carbs....thats a lot when you can only have 25. I do take the gummie vitamins though because any other kind has always upset my stomach, I'm sure the non gummy vites have much less.
  • edurham79
    Options
    I was mainly suprised with how many carbs are in everything I used to eat! Low carb is new to me and I never paid attention before because I didn't struggle with my weight until this past year, when I committed to low carb I was shocked at how many carbs I had been taking in. I used to be a hard core Coke drinker, I easily consumed a liter a day, that's 109 carbs just in coke! I hate plain water but have gotten some crystal light water flavors that help, when I feel like I HAVE to have a coke now I go with Diet Coke with Splenda.