staying positive?

Options
How do ya'll stay positive when there are little setbacks? For example, I was told I need to lose about 25 lbs before surgery to make things a little easier. Overall I have been doing pretty great - eating out less, healthy snacks, I completely cut out soda (and can't even drink it anymore, it tastes too weird) - but all I can focus on are the little negative things - like enjoying a bite or two of dessert or eating a couple Hershey kisses in the evening. I have cut my high sugar and fat foods WAY WAY down, but that's all I seem to focus on!

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    When I read your post, I see a lot of progress, not setbacks. I don't think it's a negative thing to have a couple of bites of dessert or chocolate at this point. I lost 70 lbs before surgery and I had the occasional sweets. The important thing is making changes, and you are doing that, and as you go along, work on making more changes. I think you are doing a great job, don't be so hard on yourself!
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I agree don't be so hard on yourself, look at the glass half full instead of half empty. This is not a quick fix program, changes are needed. Take change one thing at a time making it permanent, changing too fast can lead to regret and other negative things.

Randy
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Taking a quick look through your diary, if you are hitting the calorie and protein target you are aiming for, don't sweat a few sweets. The eating pattern you are setting yourself needs to be sustainable to work for the long term.

Keep up the good work and work the pre-surgery program hard. It will help set you up for success!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else here though, you are doing well and you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. Follow the plan and if the occasional piece of chocolate fits into your day, fine. The key here is occasional.

PS - I too had to lose 20 pounds prior to surgery, it's not as hard as it sounds and feels, but then I was using the "non-surgical" weight loss program food from my doctor's office. That made it really much easier.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OP Take it a day at a time. One bite wont kill you. Dont be hard on yourself. Its the small goals that accomplish a lot. How awesome is it that you stopped drinking soda!!! :D
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Ditto what everyone else has already said! Best of luck to you!