4 years post op and still throwing up (caution to the weak stomachs) lol

Options
Anyone else having this issue? I am 4 years post op. Tonight, when I was having dinner, I got to sneezing which put a lot of pressure on my stomach and then my stomach hurt and I didn't necessarily throw up per say, my food just came back up. You know, where you don't have to really try, it kind of just finds it's own way lol. I don't have it all the time, it's rare, but I still get it. Part of me says it is a good thing, meaning my pouch is doing what it is supposed to by only holding so much. But I guess a part of me always thought that someday my stomach would be elastic again and I wouldn't have this issue. EH! :\

Replies

• sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm 2.5 years post op from RNY and still have this issue occasionally and I'm glad. I call it my reality check when I get a little too big for my britches and want to push the limits lol
  • Jamielynn_77
    Jamielynn_77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    In my mind I am glad too lol, but I just wanted to make sure that others were experiencing this too. I don't like it, but I appreciate that it is still there. It's like my stomach's way of slapping me in the back of the head lol.
  • ender_kb
    ender_kb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think you're just fine. Since our stomachs are so small it doesn't take much to push something back up. The fact that you either just ate or were in the middle of eating doesn't surprise me that that happened.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't have the throwing up so much, but I did overeat exactly once over Christmas and got such a bad stomachache I was extremely careful the rest of the holiday. I'm a year and a half out and hope this side effect doesn't go away. I like having a built in warning system/reality check.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Depends on the surgery. I had the sleeve, so all the stretchy was removed (per my doctor) and if I overeat I will be very uncomfortable and may very well lose the "too much". I did much better once I found my "full cue", which for me is feeling like I need to burp. Once I feel that, I have to stop eating or I will be uncomfortable and maybe even lose the too much. Even if I do have to burp, I still need to be done eating. I have a friend with the sleeve and her cue is hiccups. For me, if I get to having hiccups, I've gone past my cue and I will be sick. Maybe you need to find your full cue? Mabe by the time you get to sneezing you've gone past full?
  • sapl31
    sapl31 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have times it feels like the food won't go in. Dry chicken and rice at the culprits. I do throw up occasionally. I am 3 years out from RNY on 2/7/15.
  • Jamielynn_77
    Options
    my stopping cue is the hiccups. my 13 year old son is on it too. haha, when I hiccup he will holler out "you're done!" lol...it't not fool proof but it's pretty reliable.
  • bivanusro
    bivanusro Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    3 months post op (VSG) and this happens , in my case I've discovered is temperature related , got some sensibility issues with warmer/colder food containing meat. I can eat anything (meat/eggs/dairy/veggies) and I respect the quantity (some 150 ml) however if the food is only above the warm area or down into the cold zone , chances are it will get out to see the light :D
    This applies only to meat containing foods , for example I can eat frozen yogurt or drink hot coffee or tea with no issues.
  • bonitadonita
    Options
    I am over 7 years out with my sleeve and I still have to throw up now and then. Yes, I have the same cue "the hiccups" as well as the uncomfortable feeling of heaviness. It does not happen often, but it is a good reminder to slow down and chew your food well.
  • Jamielynn_77
    Options
    bivanusro wrote: »
    3 months post op (VSG) and this happens , in my case I've discovered is temperature related , got some sensibility issues with warmer/colder food containing meat. I can eat anything (meat/eggs/dairy/veggies) and I respect the quantity (some 150 ml) however if the food is only above the warm area or down into the cold zone , chances are it will get out to see the light :D
    This applies only to meat containing foods , for example I can eat frozen yogurt or drink hot coffee or tea with no issues.

You know now that you mention it, mine is the same. carbs, meat, veggies. everything else is just fine. Huh, funny how that works. :confused:
  • Jamielynn_77
    Options
    I am over 7 years out with my sleeve and I still have to throw up now and then. Yes, I have the same cue "the hiccups" as well as the uncomfortable feeling of heaviness. It does not happen often, but it is a good reminder to slow down and chew your food well.

Do you mind if I ask, 7 years out, how much are you consuming as a meal? 1 cup total? More or less? Do you still get your 64 oz of water in daily?