How do you conquer a plateau?

Options
aprilcv00
aprilcv00 Posts: 14 Member
I know they happen but how do you get past them? How long does it take?

Replies

• FindingCindy721
    FindingCindy721 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Every body's body is different. The best way I know is to REALLY SHAKE THINGS UP! Eat differently for a few days...maybe low carb if that's not what you usually do, just different from your normal routine and change your exercise routine as well! Best of luck with it...don't let it discourage you and you will prevail!!!
  • FindingCindy721
    Options
    Mysticlizard~ I am interested in better answers so I tried your link...it didn't work :\
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I went back to the original email from MFP this morning and retried the link and I too am getting the message that the link is broken. Out of the five, the one I remember is stress. The article said the body produces more fat when you are stressed. I often joke stress is just a normal operational condition in my life of controlled chaos.

WOW!!! My oldest son just called me from WY. I AM GOING TO BE A GRANDMA!!!!! They have been married for 10 years and have been trying for the last five. I need to go find his baby clothes I saved for them.
  • FindingCindy721
    Options
    Mysticlizard~ CONGRATS! That is soooo AWESOME! Being Grandma is the BEST! When are they due? How far are they from you? This is soooo exiting!!! My Grandson is 2... I got to watch him be born and it was AMAZING!
    PS~ I have that life too! Stress is as normal as eating and breathing to me most days!
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    Cindy- They are due in Aug. We are in MN so they are about 12-13 hours from us. We are so excited!!!

The link to the article is working again.
  • aprilcv00
    Options
    Congrats!! I didnt know there were any replies here.. and Stress.. Absolutely No way to avoid it. I went to the Dr. yesterday for the first time in a long time to ask her what to do and she looked through my fitness pal food diary and all she told me was to eliminate the juice and exercise more. I have 39.5 days to try and lose 20 lbs.. I know its not going to happen but I want to get as close as I can to avoid the embarassment. Its so hard to be motivated to exercise when there are no gyms nearby and it's so freezing cold that it takes my breath away. How do you exercise at home besides benching and curling your kids? Any fitness dvds that you recommend that don't require dancing?
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    April I love Leslie Sansone walking dvd's there is many that range from 1 mile to 5 miles ...They are great ...you can get them at walmart or look online ... I workout at home I love it :)
  • FindingCindy721
    Options
    April~ Have you ever tried kettle bells? I LOVE them and since I belong to planet fitness now and they don't have classes, I bought a couple for at home. I also found a couple videos for them as well.
    There are a lot of GREAT videos on you tube also! They even have chair workouts, which I actually checked out and WOW...you can truly work out from a sitting position! Someone here recommended them and since I work nights, sometimes I am so exhausted that a dance or kettle bell work out just seems too overwhelming to think about. But I know I will be infuriated at myself for not working out at all, so I looked them up and tried a couple out and WOW! I love them as back ups!
  • aprilcv00
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I will check them out. I need to get some weight activity going!
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Congratulations mysticlizard! I can imagine how overthemooon you are! I just became grandma for the first time on the 30 th December! Blessings indeed!

April I hope you do find the thing that works for you amongst everything that the other ladies have proposed. Good luck!
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    April, I have a Wii & Wii fit, I actually like a lot of the fitness programs, but the games are great too. I have almost all of the Just Dance games & it barely feels like a workout because you're having so much fun. It terrifies my cats, they run & hide when i play them! Lol!
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    My teenager daughters do Wii Fit with me, we have a ball. I have two left feet :( , so I watch them do the Just dance discs. Maybe when I get a little more coordinated :) .
  • FindingCindy721
    Options
    We had the wii and switched to xbox 360 with the kinect ...love the dance games!!! It's nice to not have to worry about the controllers!
  • Femmigirlz
    Femmigirlz Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Congrats liz on your Grand baby. Babies are too cute n precious.
  • Femmigirlz
    Femmigirlz Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs one time and gained it all back. That's not happening again but I just wanted to say I once had a 6 week plateau and didn't lose anything. I got on the scale and had dropped 11 pounds. It was so odd how the body decided it was time to finally let it go. Strange how our bodies have held onto the weight at certain times in our process and maybe we stayed at that weight for a long period of time so the body doesn't want to give it up easily but at some point it has to let it go :)
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    You Guys make me want to get the wii out again. The boxing game was where I worked out the most and even started getting toned biceps and triceps. But I would end up knocking myself out or breaking a leg. We have polished parquet floors here, and just walking on them can be quite dangerous at times
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    I love the Wii. Boxing is fun, my favorite is the advanced step aerobics, it makes me feel graceful. For the strength training and yoga the girls and I named or trainer Rob.

We have 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch rubber mats we use in the garage like these
    http://www.amazon.com/Stalwart-75-6402-Ultimate-Flooring-16-Square/dp/B001M8MWI2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424547985&sr=8-2&keywords=rubber+floor+tiles

I wonder if something like this would help on your floors while you work out. They come in colors too. We have red, yellow, and blue as well as gray in the garage. I find them from time to time in the thrift store here.
  • barlovo
    barlovo Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi April, I'm just coming off a 14-month plateau - that's why I joined MFP in December and I seem to be losing again but it is a little early to tell. There are a couple things I can suggest:

1) Don't freak out about plateaus. We will have to maintain our weight loss all our lives. Plateaus are dress rehearsals for lifetime maintenance. Appreciate the practice it is giving you.

2) Weight loss is actually stressful for the body. Your body may be taking a break before it is ready to release weight again. Eat really high-nutrient foods, make sure you're getting enough fat, protein and fiber.

3) Focus on non-scale victories. During 2014, I gave up sugar and other sweeteners, and started weight training as part of my physical therapy program. Both were amazing healthy steps for me, even though they did not lead to weight loss.

4) Do you "eat" your exercise calories? I am not confident that MFP exercise calorie estimates are accurate for me. Everyone's metabolism is different. If I tracked my exercise on MFP and ate back my calories, I would be gaining weight right now.

5) Are you measuring and logging everything, really? We all sneak and round down from time to time. Take a week where you are really really careful. Try weighing everything instead of measuring with cups. You might notice areas where you have been eating more than you've been logging.
  • barlovo
    barlovo Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    MysticLizard - congrats on your grandchild-to-be!
    -