Constipation & Psyllium Husks?

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
Pre-Keto, I never had problems with constipation. Maybe once a year. Since Keto, I have it frequently, like 1-4 times a week. I don't know if its because I don't drink enough water (8-10 cups @ day) or if its the foods I eat? I have heard that Cheese could be the culprit, but there were some weeks I rarely ate cheese and still had it. I know that when I do a water fast, I get severely constipated (hence the not-enough-water theory.)

Yes, we can talk about the causes, but I heard that Psyllium husks can give relief for both diarrhea & constipation. So I bought some Yerba Prima Whole Psyllium Husks. They look like ground pork rinds. So I tried it in water like the directions said. And it is working. The problem is taking it. Its doesn't have a bad taste, but its the texture. Its like drinking lumpy snot. ugh (LOL!) I don't like that feeling at all. And don't you dare leave it in hot tea or in the glass too long before drinking it ~ it turns into oatmeal. Try to drink oatmeal.

So my question is, is there a way to take this stuff without the horrible lumpy snot method?

Or should I put it in a "fat bomb"? Or some other food?

Or should I just drink more water? (not likely for me, but possible)

Or do you have a list of foods I should avoid? Like cheese? I love cheese though. And it fits with the Keto way of eating.

Or do you know of another product/medicine for constipation?

Please advise...

Dan the Man from Michigan

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Pre-Keto, I never had problems with constipation. Maybe once a year. Since Keto, I have it frequently, like 1-4 times a week. I don't know if its because I don't drink enough water (8-10 cups @ day) or if its the foods I eat? I have heard that Cheese could be the culprit, but there were some weeks I rarely ate cheese and still had it. I know that when I do a water fast, I get severely constipated (hence the not-enough-water theory.)

Yes, we can talk about the causes, but I heard that Psyllium husks can give relief for both diarrhea & constipation. So I bought some Yerba Prima Whole Psyllium Husks. They look like ground pork rinds. So I tried it in water like the directions said. And it is working. The problem is taking it. Its doesn't have a bad taste, but its the texture. Its like drinking lumpy snot. ugh (LOL!) I don't like that feeling at all. And don't you dare leave it in hot tea or in the glass too long before drinking it ~ it turns into oatmeal. Try to drink oatmeal.

So my question is, is there a way to take this stuff without the horrible lumpy snot method?

Or should I put it in a "fat bomb"? Or some other food?

Or should I just drink more water? (not likely for me, but possible)

Or do you have a list of foods I should avoid? Like cheese? I love cheese though. And it fits with the Keto way of eating.

Or do you know of another product/medicine for constipation?

Please advise...

When I did take psyllium husk, I would just stir and chug. I tried making a porridge with it. DO NOT ATTEMPT!!
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Well knowing how to move Poo is right up my alley. Not so much for me but my hubby. He has had a Whipple surgery which re-arranges his plumbing and it is very important to keep things moving through but not too fast. And when he was on chemo it was like moving bricks. We got into the fiber powders and came to the same diagnosis as you did. BLEH Experimenting further we came across Walmarts Equate, they say sugar free, Fiber Powder. there is no clumping it is smooth just like water with very little taste. BUT there is 4g carbohydrates per serving of 2 TSP but supposedly 3g Fiber. If you are counting net carbs then it would only be one carb.

We used this for about a year until his plumbing adapted to loss of valves and what not and we got the right dosage of digestive enzymes for him because some of his pancreas is now gone. Now he eats a bowl of oatmeal every day but it is way too many carbs for us LCHF people.

I had constipation on this WOE at first. I tried stool softeners and even laxative when i was really hurting. Finally I just rode out out and it all passed. and now things are pretty good. Some one said try more fat to help. I also started taking Cal-mag before bed. Helps with sleep and also good for you.

There is a hysterical thread on Poo. Between the craziness there is some good information.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/1zjqk7/lets_talk_about_poop/
  • x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I found for me that Senna based tea really helps, but I make sure I drink a cup on my day off - it really really works :)

I had some co-workers recommend three ballerina brand, but I simply couldn't wait to try it (ordered some from Amazon,) and picked up a different organic brand from the local health food store.
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm posting this reply to my blog...
    the implications are important for
    all the LC Keto community, yes?

http://tinyurl.com/oothgrt
    myfitnesspal.com/blog/tq33702/view/pubmed-magnesium-metabolism-and-its-disorders-725585

• ScottLynn98
    ScottLynn98 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For the last couple months I use the psyllium husks in capsule form. I get our plain grocery store brand. 5 capsules with a full glass of water every morning and I've never been more regular in my life. I also take probiotics so that may help, too.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    For the last couple months I use the psyllium husks in capsule form. I get our plain grocery store brand. 5 capsules with a full glass of water every morning and I've never been more regular in my life. I also take probiotics so that may help, too.

That sounds doable. I'll look for them tonight. Maybe I can get some empty capsules and fill them with my Yerba? (Like I have time for that! LOL!)

Thank you Scott...

• DittoDan
    Options
    tq33702 wrote: »
    I'm posting this reply to my blog...
    the implications are important for
    all the LC Keto community, yes?

http://tinyurl.com/oothgrt
    myfitnesspal.com/blog/tq33702/view/pubmed-magnesium-metabolism-and-its-disorders-725585

TQ. I looked at your blog and in the first sentence: diminished peristalsis. What is that? Does a person have to Google everything to read your blog? Then in the same sentence you put an acronym: BPH... I haven't a clue as to what that is and how it relates to Keto. If you want to help people, define your terms... otherwise it is just Greek to us lesser people...

I'm sorry but, that is very annoying to me...

Dan

• DittoDan
    Options
    Well knowing how to move Poo is right up my alley. Not so much for me but my hubby. He has had a Whipple surgery which re-arranges his plumbing and it is very important to keep things moving through but not too fast. And when he was on chemo it was like moving bricks. We got into the fiber powders and came to the same diagnosis as you did. BLEH Experimenting further we came across Walmarts Equate, they say sugar free, Fiber Powder. there is no clumping it is smooth just like water with very little taste. BUT there is 4g carbohydrates per serving of 2 TSP but supposedly 3g Fiber. If you are counting net carbs then it would only be one carb.

We used this for about a year until his plumbing adapted to loss of valves and what not and we got the right dosage of digestive enzymes for him because some of his pancreas is now gone. Now he eats a bowl of oatmeal every day but it is way too many carbs for us LCHF people.

I had constipation on this WOE at first. I tried stool softeners and even laxative when i was really hurting. Finally I just rode out out and it all passed. and now things are pretty good. Some one said try more fat to help. I also started taking Cal-mag before bed. Helps with sleep and also good for you.

There is a hysterical thread on Poo. Between the craziness there is some good information.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/1zjqk7/lets_talk_about_poop/

Thank you Shades... I will look up the Equate.

I am currently taking 800mg Mag citrate @ day.

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I use a blender bottle. Weigh 10g pre-meal. Add water and sugar free lemonade, maybe a bit of cocoa powder. Stir a bit with a chopstick. Shake. Drink...at once. Fills up the tummy and keep things moving too.

I also use psyllium sparingly as a sauce thickener or in dishes like meatballs. But not sure how long it preserves in fridge or freezer, so best to use it within a not too long time.

Fibers are stripped from ready meals made by food industry because they shorten the shelf life. But there's no reason we as home consumers can't use it.
  • shadesofidaho
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Dan I am not TQ but I can explain a little of this. Peristalsis is the wave like motion that moves the stool through your intestine. So diminished peristalsis means your waves have slowed down and everything is just kind of sitting there. Some times hurting you. Senna is a stimulant to get things going again. Many laxatives have Senna in it.

Dan you might want to add some of TQ's links to your pages of links. He has done a lot of research that has answered many of my questions.

If you have a Walmart near by just check it out for the Equate brand. I do not know of many or any other stores that carry it. But then we are living in a little bubble of a world where grocery stores are 20 miles and walmart is 45 miles and I HATE shopping with a passion so I go, buy, get home, ASAP.
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    This is really helpful for me, as well. I actually ended up passing out the other day from pain from constipation and it was not pretty! lol I do eat a lot of cheese. I think the overall solidity of the foods we eat may contribute to it. Either way, I have been trying to drink more water, but, like Dan, I probably drink about 8-10 cups a day, sometimes less. I am going to check into a fiber supplement that won't bring my net carbs up and try to drink more water.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Dan I am not TQ but I can explain a little of this. Peristalsis is the wave like motion that moves the stool through your intestine. So diminished peristalsis means your waves have slowed down and everything is just kind of sitting there. Some times hurting you. Senna is a stimulant to get things going again. Many laxatives have Senna in it.

Dan you might want to add some of TQ's links to your pages of links. He has done a lot of research that has answered many of my questions.

If you have a Walmart near by just check it out for the Equate brand. I do not know of many or any other stores that carry it. But then we are living in a little bubble of a world where grocery stores are 20 miles and walmart is 45 miles and I HATE shopping with a passion so I go, buy, get home, ASAP.

Thanks for the explanation. I will definitely look into purchasing Senna. I was Walmart right after I posted. Darn. But, I'll go back, its less than a mile from my house.

Thank you too Minerva!

• DittoDan
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    I use a blender bottle. Weigh 10g pre-meal. Add water and sugar free lemonade, maybe a bit of cocoa powder. Stir a bit with a chopstick. Shake. Drink...at once. Fills up the tummy and keep things moving too.

I also use psyllium sparingly as a sauce thickener or in dishes like meatballs. But not sure how long it preserves in fridge or freezer, so best to use it within a not too long time.

Fibers are stripped from ready meals made by food industry because they shorten the shelf life. But there's no reason we as home consumers can't use it.

Thank you Foam... I thought you could mix it with other foods. I just didn't know if it affected the taste of them. I'll try it in some meatloaf. I'm still not sure about drinking it anymore though...

• shadesofidaho
    Options
    Dan be careful with Senna. It is a stimulant and used to often can cause the natural diminishing peristalsis.= you can not poo with out it. This is why I just waited mine out and finally added enough fat to make things move. Coconut oil was a big help.
  • Latse
    Latse Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Normally my daily morning cup of bullet proof coffee keeps things moving if it has been a couple of days I add an extra Tbs of coconut oil.

If it has been a week and I'm uncomfortable (remember without all the extra cr@p food there isn't as much to pass) I use "smooth move tea" it is a senna product but found in a regular grocery store with all the other teas or by the medication depending on how your store stocks. With in 12-24 hours after drinking a cup everything is out!

Good luck
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Yea, I'd rather up the CO. Btw, about using psyllium in foods. It's hard to get big enough ratio if you only use it in food and not drink it. You can't start pouring a tbs into what amounts to a serving of meatloaf...
    Experiment, find what works for YOU.
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    [quote="TQ. I looked at your blog and in the first sentence: diminished peristalsis. What is that? Does a person have to Google everything to read your blog? Then in the same sentence you put an acronym: BPH... I haven't a clue as to what that is and how it relates to Keto. If you want to help people, define your terms... otherwise it is just Greek to us lesser people...

I'm sorry but, that is very annoying to me...

Dan [/quote]

No need to be sorry, Dan,
    I'm sure you're not the only
    one annoyed...actually, I'm
    glad it's out in the open, now.

Oftentimes I don't do social
    communications very well...
    part of my high-functioning
    autism spectrum, I'm thinking.
    It's why I don't make comments
    very much, here or anywhere,
    public or private.

Anyway, my apologies to all. I
    will try to do better in my blog...
    just let me know by DM, plz,
    if it's annoying again.
    /tq
    Thanks, Shades for your help.
    ps I made a few explanations
    of the abbreviations and
    acronyms on my offending blog.
    Plz let me know if it's enuf, yes?

TY all for understanding..!
    /tq
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've never had any luck with the psyllium stuff or things advertised as fiber supplements. I did decide a few months ago to "fix" my fiber intake and to get my 25-30g a day or thereabouts.

Chia Seed Pudding:

8 oz Almond Milk
    2 tbsp Heavy Cream
    1/4 cup Chia Seeds
    splash of vanilla extract
    a bit of torani sugar free caramel syrup
    a bit of cocoa powder
    2 packets of stevia

Stir this up a bit, put in the fridge for 2 hours. The chia seeds soak up a good bit of the almond milk and it gets slightly thick. I find it to taste quite good.

Occasionally when I take it out of the fridge to eat I'll also microwave a spoonful of creamy peanut butter for 30-35 seconds to melt it and put it into the pudding and mix it in pretty well, tastes great.

That plus whatever veggies I eat gets me my fiber every day.

As for constipation itself if its not just a fiber and water issue, I dunno, and I wish you luck. I'd had problems for years to the point of trying to change my diet to see if it was IBS, little help from my primary care doc... physical therapy figured out that I just had some bad habits and we went through a "bowel retraining" process that took a few weeks but has given me some amazing results in the poop department. When I'd tried to describe my symptoms on r/keto I got 100 different suggestions and, now that I know what my problem was, not a single one of them was actually helpful to me, despite everyone's best efforts and sincere attempts to help. These kinds of things can be *very* individualized.
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Coffee, especially with coconut oil, usually gets me going in the mornings.

I also eat dark leafy greens (ex spinach, collards) both cooked and raw, which contain insoluble fiber - the kind that doesn't dissolve in water and so the fiber passes through our GI tract intact, encouraging the go. In the SAD, there is plenty of insoluble fiber from grains. BTW, psyllium husks provide soluble fiber, which does dissolve in water and stays longer in the GI tract. Eating LC, some folks do quite well removing all veggies, but I've found that currently doesn't work so well for me. Avocado also has lots of fiber plus fat, and can assist with the go.

Usually a single 200mg magnesium citrate tablet will get my system going. But just last week I had a bout with IBS which had not reared its head for years; dysfunctional peristalsis at its finest. To clear everything out, I drank bottled magnesium citrate plus tons of water and herbal ginger tea. Now everything is back to normal, like my gut just needed a reset.

Good luck!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    This is the blessing within my coffee habit, I am rarely constipated!! But I have at times worried about my rather low fiber intake, less for satiety and digestion, but for it's colon health benefits. I purchased some ground psyllium husks, thinking I would use them in food, but have only done so a few (like 2 times) as I just didn't see the point. Overall, I feel that my diet is quite low in fiber, but as this doesn't seem to impact my regularity or health I won't worry about it too much.