All Day Desk Job

Options
P0PTART
P0PTART Posts: 50 Member
I have 37 lbs to lose yet. The weight is coming off; however, my problem is that 4 days a week I'm at my desk from 7am to 7pm. I try to walk at lunch which is helping a bunch. Anyone else in my situation? Any ideas to help through the long days? I'm at the front desk, so it's not really feasible to do the desk exercises, although I get a lot of laughs when I do!

Replies

• brendaswomleyfrazier
    Options
    LOL I was going to suggest deskexercise. Sounds like walking at lunch is really helping. Maybe you can squeeze in a workout DVD from home.
  • jambo27061965
    jambo27061965 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Run home?
  • csoderstrom
    csoderstrom Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a similar situation. I drive an 1 to 1.5 hrs to work, sit for 8.5 hours (only get up to use restroom and go to break/lunch). Then sit for 2 more hours driving home. Then of course I sit at the end of the night to watch TV for a bit before bed.

I tried walking & jogging at lunch for awhile, but the cold Chicago weather ends that for months out of the year. Plus I still don't think I was doing enough moving during my 30 min lunch, it wasn't really helping my weight or fitness level.

I finally found a tiny gym near my work and started going after work. After a bit, my (8 y.o.) daughter started complaining that she never saw me, so I started going in the morning so I'd still have my evenings for the kids.

NEVER in a million years would I think that I would WANT to get out of bed at 4 or 5 a.m. to exercise but I did it for months and I've lost 25 lbs. I was so motivated by the trainer at the gym and how good I started feeling that I turned into one of 'those' people who I used to think was crazy to get up that early to work out!

Anyway, my point is, can you build it into your day either before or after work?

I found that, for me,working out before work cut my morning commute time down by half, which was awesome, since I go so early. I have more energy throughout the day, and I have fewer excuses in the a.m. than if I wait until I get home from work.
  • csoderstrom
    csoderstrom Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Another idea...would your company be willing to give you a standing desk? Supposedly you burn more calories standing most of the day. In my case they'd never do it, but it's a neat idea.
  • Piscesmoon68
    Piscesmoon68 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I also have a 40 hour a week desk job. I've recently devoted most of my lunch hour to exercise and just a few minutes to eat. I was getting almost NO exercise and that's bad on so many levels!! Squeeze it in wherever you can!
  • Piscesmoon68
    Piscesmoon68 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Another idea...would your company be willing to give you a standing desk? Supposedly you burn more calories standing most of the day. In my case they'd never do it, but it's a neat idea.
    I sure wish I could do that here, especially since I also have Restless Leg Syndrome. So hard to just sit here sometimes!!

• LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job, in a tiny cube surrounded by the other desk jockeys. I get up about every 30 - 45 mins to use the bathroom, breakroom, get water, the printer, etc... I also try to go on a lunchtime walk.

If you are stuck attending a front desk you should at least try to stand as much as possible.
  • Sivangj
    Sivangj Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I too have a desk job 100 %. Are lucky and have got a table that I can move up and down, so I can choose if I want to stand or sit. If you can get that I really recomend it. Then try to use a other printer than the one in the office, take more bathrooms break or up and walk to get water. When in bathroom if it is posibility for it, try to do stretching exercises. Maybe dont burn a lot of cal but give more energy and are good for us that sit so much by a desk :smile:
  • SammyGold12
    SammyGold12 Posts: 12
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When I was in a cubical I made a simple standing desk that was great! Facilities found me a small wooden box that was just big enough to fit on top of my desk and hold up my keyboard, mouse and monitor. It took a couple of days for my poor feet to get used to it and then I felt 100% better. (I got one of those comfortable mats to stand on.)

I also bought a standing workstation for about $100 on Amazon.

Here's the link: Workstation

I used it in my home office for awhile and then brought it to my new job where I have an office.

• beachbum4044
    beachbum4044 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I too have a desk job, I try to use half my lunch to walk, I try to be sure that 1x per hour I walk to the restroom, printer or just to refill my water glass. I do have an adjustable desk and can alternate between standing and sitting. I took a stability ball to work this week to add that alternative. I have equipment at home and access to it at work and I am working to incorporate more movement into my day. It was suggested to add in the morning/evening if possible.

During my kids activities (softball, volleyball, basketball) I try to get there a bit early to pick them up and use that time to roam the parking lot or the hallways to build exercise to my day. I have been meal planning and trying to do all my food prep on Sundays to free up time during the week. I hope you can find some ways to free up time for yourself.
  • johjeff
    johjeff Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The standing desk idea is a good one. You can also apply that to watching TV when you are home. Stand instead of plopping down on the couch. Also think about ways to move more during work. For example, if your co-workers are mostly there in the same building or campus, skip the email or IM and walk over for a face to face. Maybe a couple times an hour, get up and walk around the cube farm. If your work is on a laptop, move around to different empty offices or cubes or buildings and continue working.

Just a few ideas.
  • assateaguegirl
    Options
    +1 on standing desk. It made a world of difference for me. Back pain and shooting pain down my legs--- gone. I alternate between sitting and standing up. I will never go back to just sitting again.
  • P0PTART
    P0PTART Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have a standing desk! I do stand as much as possible, but most times it's just not feasible. I'm really thinking about investing in a treadmill or something for home. Thanks for all the great ideas!