Keto strips and very low carbs.

Options
I've been low carb since Christmas ended. I've been doing well, I didn't stress super low carb at the beginning and didn't even count, but when I got the app here I went to 20-ish or less a day. I got some keto sticks today. I'm only spilling traces. My carbs have been VERY low this week, as in single digits most of this week. How long until I spill more and lose more weight? Or could I be so hydrated it's showing up as traces? I drink 96+oz of just water a day. I'm not complaining about my weight loss but I have a ways to go. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    angela I use a $15 breath analyzer for a ball park acetone ketone check and the blood glucose and ketone meter so I do not know about the keto sticks but I read they are good for a ball park estimate to see if you are in or out of ketosis. The count should go down the longer you are in ketosis because the body will adapt and start burning ketones at some point so fewer and fewer will be dumped to the urine.

If you are under <50 grams of carbs daily and you are high on Fats and around 100 grams on protein you should be in ketosis after four weeks as I understand the literature.
  • rmath76
    rmath76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly no expert, being fairly new to LCHF and all, but I've read that not only does lots of fluid dilute the amount of ketones in urine, but as you become more "fat-adapted", you quit producing those types of ketones (acetate?) that are detected in the urine. It doesn't mean you're not in ketosis, it just means that if you're on ketosis long-term, your ketones may only be detected in the blood or on the breath. Unfortunately, blood ketone monitoring is expensive, and according to the book "Keto Clarity", there really isn't a good, widely available method for testing breath ketones yet. I love that book...has so much useful information!

Good luck to you...I started my journey just before Christmas. I'll send you a friend request and maybe we can keep each other motivated! I'm really excited about this lifestyle. It's the only thing I've ever done that I think I can do long-term. I love not feeling totally deprived of all my favorite foods all the time! :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    rmath76 wrote: »
    I'm certainly no expert, being fairly new to LCHF and all, but I've read that not only does lots of fluid dilute the amount of ketones in urine, but as you become more "fat-adapted", you quit producing those types of ketones (acetate?) that are detected in the urine. It doesn't mean you're not in ketosis, it just means that if you're on ketosis long-term, your ketones may only be detected in the blood or on the breath. Unfortunately, blood ketone monitoring is expensive, and according to the book "Keto Clarity", there really isn't a good, widely available method for testing breath ketones yet. I love that book...has so much useful information!

Good luck to you...I started my journey just before Christmas. I'll send you a friend request and maybe we can keep each other motivated! I'm really excited about this lifestyle. It's the only thing I've ever done that I think I can do long-term. I love not feeling totally deprived of all my favorite foods all the time! :)

I think it's less that you quit producing them, and more that you're actually using them (that's my understanding, at least).

When ketones show up in your urine, that means you're dumping them as "waste." The body doesn't know how to use them efficiently yet. As your body builds the "equipment" to use the ketones, you no longer dump as much, because you body is using what its making.

Dr. Peter Attia has some awesome articles on ketosis and the science around it and LCHF and a bunch of other stuff. Definitely worth reading.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

I think it's less that you quit producing them, and more that you're actually using them (that's my understanding, at least).

When ketones show up in your urine, that means you're dumping them as "waste." The body doesn't know how to use them efficiently yet. As your body builds the "equipment" to use the ketones, you no longer dump as much, because you body is using what its making.

Dr. Peter Attia has some awesome articles on ketosis and the science around it and LCHF and a bunch of other stuff. Definitely worth reading.

Oh ... interesting information. Dang.. my urine analysis strip says I'm producing a lot of ketones so This isn't necessarily as good as I thought it was.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    RenaTX wrote: »

Oh ... interesting information. Dang.. my urine analysis strip says I'm producing a lot of ketones so This isn't necessarily as good as I thought it was.

Yeah, that's why blood ketone meters are considered better, but they're expensive as hell. Urine strips are far cheaper, which is a large reason why they're so popular. I can't wait for stuff like that to stop being based off the high-carb mindset and manufacturers realize that they're missing out on a huge market in the low-carb crowd.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think there is also literature on the fallacy of drinking such large quantities of water.
    All those water soluble vitamins disappear.
  • hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    RenaTX wrote: »

Yeah, that's why blood ketone meters are considered better, but they're expensive as hell. Urine strips are far cheaper, which is a large reason why they're so popular. I can't wait for stuff like that to stop being based off the high-carb mindset and manufacturers realize that they're missing out on a huge market in the low-carb crowd.

I was reading something regarding new investment ideas yesterday, and keto anything is supposed to be hot. :-)
  • rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Using urine sticks, I was under the impression that anything pink is good, meaning you are in ketosis, and you don't want to get to the higher purples, which could indicate dehydration. my carbs are generally under 20 daily, so I only test 1-2 times weekly (been on this plan since September). If I do happen to eat something that puts me out of ketosis, my urine sticks won't turn pink again for another 3-4 days. I will say that I haven't seen a darker pink stick in probably 6 weeks, possibly a result of the things noted in prior comments, just my body becoming used to the lifestyle.
  • hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    yah I thought any pink in early days (month) was good -- and later on, as long as you're on similar track, means you're just no longer throwing ketones