Introductions!

Options
abbyjane81
abbyjane81 Posts: 51 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
I thought it would be nice to have this so we could get to know each other:)

I'm 33 and live in arkansas with my fiancé and 2 boys. Currently breastfeeding my youngest so losing weight right now is a fine balance of cutting calories vs milk production and quality foods over quantity.

I've always been over weight, about 6 years ago I worked my butt off Bd educated myself on food and a more natural eating lifestyle and lost 75 pounds. Then I got divorced and gained it all back plus some.

This time I'm serious, working on creating a healthy lifestyle I can maintain for ever for myself and my family.

I love to cook, craft and all that corny stuff. Also love Netflix, haha and trying more to live off the land:)

Replies

• socialone74
    socialone74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Excellent AbbyJane!!

I am 40 and live in Springfield, MO with my 2 fur covered children (Canine - Duchess and Brooklyn). I have been struggling with my weight for as long as I can remember but seriously (obese) overweight since 22 years of age. The lowest I have hit since then was 202lbs (2002) and that is why my first major goal is 199.9lbs then I will re-evaluate.

I am a cross between emotional/bored/stressed eater so if I don't plan or allow myself to get hungry then I know my choices will not be optimal and overeating occurs. I have intentions to work out and very good at finding excuses... so I started bellydancing and love it!

I like to bellydance, quilt, scrapbook, walk on nature trails, any activity on water, movie/game nights, furbaby/family time, Cardinal games and overall really enjoy most sports in person.

Things I am un-intentionally good at: Run on sentences and forgeting to turn on my personal filter (i.e. too honest).

I find I succeed when I plan my food/meals, eat ever 2-3 hours to prevent hunger binging and make "dates" with girlfriends to workout (because it forces me to go).

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone and working together!

• jillshadow
    jillshadow Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My name is Staci and I am 26 and come from southern Washington state. The desert area (betcha didn't know Washington was not all forest and evergreens!) to be exact. I live with my amazing husband whom I met from a game called World of Warcraft. Funny thing is, he lived is Massachusetts, and moved all the way across country to be with me. Talk about love!

Anyways, I weigh around 269 lbs and am looking to lose more than 150 lbs, I want to get to around 120 lbs, as I am only 5 foot, so very short. I know this is a lofty goal but I know I will lose weight anyways because I have to make a lifestyle change. The reason why I say this is because I am a type 2 diabetic. I used to not care about my life, and let my blood sugars run rampant (last week I had one that was 600+, and normal blood sugars are supposed to be 100, to 120 ish). After I had that blood sugar scare I realized if I wanted to be around for my husband, friend and family, I had to make a turn around. I also have extremely high cholesterol and hypertension (sometimes). At the rate I was going, a heart attack was just waiting to happen. So now I am determined to eat healthier and get my exercise.

For exercise, I love to swim, walk on the treadmill (only when I have something to do, otherwise it is terribly boring and I can't walk for very long), and use my workout videos (I found some nice ones where I can actually follow the moves)

I like to play video games (now not as much, I used to when I was younger, I guess I kind grew out of it a little bit, which is actually a good thing), read fantasy and horror novels, and watch T.V. I love my T.V. I can be a real couch potato sometimes, but I plan on weaning myself off so much T.V. because I currently watch a ridiculous amount and while I am watching I am always tempted to eat. I also like to paint and color (you can get some nice advanced coloring books, not just childrens books. And don't knock it till you try it, it can be very therapeutic.)

So thats just a little bit about me.
  • socialone74
    Options
    Welcome Staci!! Glad to have you part of the group! I too have to have a movie/tv show going to remain on the treadmill.... it is a yawn-fest otherwise :-)
  • sncoombs
    Options
    Hiii ladies :smile:
    What a brilliant idea - love the sound of this group!!
    I'm Steph, 25 years young and live in Wales in the UK (millions of miles from you).
    I am THE typical yoyo dieter and an absolute sucker for fad rubbish diets!!
    You name it - I've tried it!! From starvation - to shakes - to 5:2! If a celebrity has done it - I'll do it too!
    When I first met my husband 6years ago I was a healthy size 10 (not sure what size that is in USA) but weighed around 160lbs ish! For me this is healthy anyway. And definitely at my happiest. :smile:
    And then it all went down hill - since then I've put on SO much weight (I blame my husband of course)! I'm currently around 260!!
    I am an emotional eater, to say the least! Sad, happy, angry, tired - I will stuff my face full of whatever chocolate/icecream related product i can get my hands on!!
    I generally enjoy exercise but i also, am an expert excuse maker - and will do anything to get out of it and watch Game of Thrones instead!

It finally hit home at how bad I had got - when I insisted on my husband leaving work on his lunch break - to go and buy me chocolate on my day off as I didn't want to walk to the shop myself. Safe to say his response was not pleasant!

So this is it ladies...time for a new me and to get my bum back into some shorts this summer rather than leaving them on my shelf of shame!!

Happy to receive all ideas and support and of course - return the motivation!!
    100lbs....slowly reducing!
    We can sooooo do this!!
    :wink:

• socialone74
    Options
    Welcome Steph! I have to admit I am a GOT fan and still recovering from the "Red Wedding"... Size 10/160lbs sounds about right (5'5 or taller) ...
    When I was in the 170's I was a size 12 and I am 5'6.
  • natalie8313
    natalie8313 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I'm Natalie, 31 from Indianapolis, IN. I'm currently weighing in at 260 lbs shooting for a healthy 150-160. Single and living with my sister and one year old nephew. He's my motivation to get healthy. As he grows I want to be able to run and play and keep up with him and not have to tell him Aunt Nini has to take and fat girl break.

I've been overweight a good portion of my life. I was always the 'thick' friend in the group of skinnies. If only I was as fat now as I thought I was then! I'd be a happy camper!

I'm pretty sarcastic and love to make people laugh. I have a sweet tea and popsicle addiction. It's hardcore, I really could probably use some therapy sessions. I'm an emotional bored eater. I tend to eat more of something because it tastes good rather than because I'm still hungry.

I like movies and murder/mystery novels. I hate ling walks on the beach bc I got lost when I was 11 in Daytona and have never fully recovered.

I'm looking forward to making new friendships with you all as we support each other along the way. It may seem far now, but one step and one pound at a time we can all surely make it!
  • abbyjane81
    Options
    So great to meet you loverly ladies! Haha
    I'm an emotional/bored/celebratory eater( any emotion is an excuse to eat for me) I show my love through food, and based on how quickly I gained my weight back, I have a lot of love! Lol

Anyway, so excited to get to know you all!
  • socialone74
    Options
    Welcome Steph! I have to admit I am a GOT fan and still recovering from the "Red Wedding"... Size 10/160lbs sounds about right (5'5 or taller) ...
    When I was in the 170's I was a size 12 and I am 5'6.

I meant to add -- sounds the same when compared to US sizes ... sorry I am bad about typing without making certain everything came out correctly :-/
  • socialone74
    Options
    Welcome Natalie!!
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Jen. I am a nursing student set to graduate May 2016. I am from the Baltimore region of Maryland and I currently live with my boyfriend of 2 years and our small fur child Ruxin. We live in a one room basement apartment...so as you can imaging...it's incredibly cramped. Our shower...is actually a hose hooked up to a sink that leads OUTSIDE under the porch...which we've closed off for privacy. Our kitchen consists of a single induction top burner, microwave, and toaster oven...which is a big contributing factor to why I've gained over 50 lbs in 1 year!

I have been big my entire life. I can't ever remember a time when I wasn't being bullied or made fun of for my weight. Both of my parents are big...along with most of my family. I was maintaining around 210-220lbs for several years...but like I said above...my new kitchen situation is not great and unfortunately that led to a LOT of eating out...probably 2-3 times a day most days of the week for over a year. I am now weighing in at my highest weight ever at 277.5lbs.

There are a lot of reasons why I want to lose weight. My family history has a ton of weight related and non-weight related chronic illness. Gallbladder disease (I've already had mine out), hypertension, diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular disease, pituitary tumors (which I have), hypothyroidism (also have), PCOS, and more that I can't even think of. I know that I want to live a long life and have a family and be a great nurse so...I need to get myself in shape ASAP.

I would like to be at 135lbs eventually - but I'll settle for not looking like a blob in my graduation photos next year!
  • mainebeachbum
    mainebeachbum Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hi, Everyone. I am Steph and hail from Maine. Currently I am 240# and I am 5"7". I started September 1st at my highest weight of 255#. My ultimate goal weight is 145# (based on height/weight chart but I am pretty muscular so probably not possible.) I am almost 43 and have a teenage son, husband, and a small dog.

My weight started coming on when I was in 3rd grade after my parents divorced, and I moved in with my grandparents. That move left me with very few friends so my activity level dropped and I gained weight. I was only slightly overweight in high school and college, but becoming an adult with a very busy life at work and home has killed my exercising.

I am hoping this sticks. I have done WW and MFP in the past, always successful, but then something happens, and I STOP. I am hoping that getting involved with a dedicated group will get me over those things that "happen." I really love to walk, run, hike, swim, ski, ride roller coasters, but rarely do these things because right now, it hurts or I can't breathe.

My ultimate goal: to have a professional family photo taken before my sign graduates and to not be embarrassed about how I look in it!
  • socialone74
    Options
    Welcome Jen and Steph!!
  • c_leeee
    c_leeee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Ello ladies! I'm Carol-Le, currently residing in Saint Joseph, Missouri. I'm 25 and right now I'm weighing 247.6lbs. I decided to start losing weight for real (I half attempted it several times previous) when I stepped on the scale on July 15th of last year and I weighed a whopping 281lbs. Somehow I had ignored my body up to that point. When I realized that I was less than 20lbs from 300lbs I knew I had to change something. From July-October I did amazing I was totally dedicated and lost almost 30lbs, then mid-October I became extremely ill, turns out that I am deathly allergic to black mold. It took us two weeks to discover this and to realize that the basement of the house that my fiancé and I lived in at the time was full of it. We moved immediately and it took me over a month to recover fully because there were thousands of spores still in my system. From mid-October to January I took time off from working out but I still watched what I ate, I just didn’t log it. Luckily I did not gain at all over the holidays and on January 2nd I hopped right back to MFP and don’t plan on leaving this time! I’m easing myself into running (I’d love to complete a 5K this year) and focusing a lot on cardio at the gym.
    My first big goal is Onederland! I really want to be less than 200lbs again! After that I’m not really super strict with a number; I’d like to be at 180lbs, which was what I weighed when I graduated high school. If I have to put a number on my overall goal it would be to be somewhere between 150-175, but who knows I may be completely content at 180. I just want to be healthy, my fiancé and I own a karate school together and I am a 3rd Degree Brown Belt. I want to test for my 2nd Brown this year, and I want to be a better/healthier role model for our students.
    Personally I’m a huge book nerd, I’m always reading something. My library is my favorite room in my home. I also love comic books, and almost anything in the science fiction and fantasy genre. I’m child free by choice but I do love children, just not the idea of raising one myself. I’m completely content with my menagerie of 1 dog, 2 cats, 1 hedgehog, 1 bearded dragon, and 1 yellow belly slider turtle.
    I’m really excited about this group!

• socialone74
    Options
    Welcome Carol-Le! I am in Springfield and you are quite close to me!! We will have to plan a 2015 event!
  • c_leeee
    c_leeee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Heck yes! Road tripppppppp!! :smiley:
  • bronzeambition
    bronzeambition Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I'm Carmen and I'm a graduate student. I've been working on losing weight since late last year, got off track and have just recently re-dedicated to weight loss. I started around 280 pounds and am now around 256 pounds.

I just started a new job, so I haven't been working out lately. However, when I do, my favorite type of workouts are dance workouts. Specifically, I play Just Dance on Kinect. I have a Zumba game, too, but the moves are a little too advanced, haha. I'd like to start running again, but haven't ran in several years, and that was back when I weighed 220 pounds.

To compensate for my lack of exercise, I'm focusing on cutting calories. I had been doing intermittent fasting because my schedule as a student was flexible enough to do so, but now that I'm working, I've been sticking to a more typical eating schedule, although I still consume a majority of my calories in the evening.

As far as goals, for now, my ultimate goal weight is 155 pounds. My short term goal is to reach 230 pounds by graduation. As far as fitness goals, as I mentioned, I would like to start running again. I would also like to do more Pilates and yoga.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Hi!

My name is Stephanie, I live with my SO, and our fur brat, Jasper, a Bengal we rescued. My daughter is in college, and also working on losing weight. I am 5'10", and 230 today. I have been larger, smaller, believe me, my closet has about six sizes of clothes!

My favorite shows are "My 600 Pound Life", and "My Big Fat Fabulous Life". I seriously watch these shows and yell at the TV, confronting the justifications for skipping exercise...and over eating, because I have done them all myself! It is very emotional for me, because I really feel the pain these people are going through. The struggle. It is not easy to change.

I work through a lot of depression, everyone says exercise makes you feel better, that is hard to get to, when you feel too overwhelmed to get off the sofa. However, I am doing well so far, I never miss Spin class at the gym, and am doing more walking.

• socialone74
    Options
    Welcome Carmen and Stephanie!
  • betsysjl
    betsysjl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hello!

My name is Betsy, and I live in south central PA. I currently weigh about 260 lbs (my highest weight ever). I turned 40 last year, and didn't get anywhere close to my goal weight of 155 lbs. Unfortanetly, I gained a lot of weight this past year. I have lots of excuses why, but just too much eating out.

There are several reasons I want to lose weight: being able to tie my shoes, walk up the stairs without embarrassing myself, shopping, and of course, so I don't die early. My husband has Type 2 diabetes and he has no control over it, and the doctor just told me I'm pre-diabetic, so I'd to prevent that. I'm on a medical weight loss plan of 1000 cal a day. High protein, low carb and I am only allowed to make one meal a day. I just started on 1/24/15.

We have two daughters. My oldest is at Dusquese in Pittsburgh studying nursing. My baby is almost 17 and will be graduating next year. My goal is to reach my target weight by her graduation. Since my husband and I will be empty nesters, I want to have the energy to do stuff.

I enjoy working out, but haven't gotten motivated to start again. I love Zumba, Just Dance, yoga, Pilates, swimming, hiking, and weight training. I don't mind the treadmill (it does get boring though) and love the elliptical... But it has been over a year since I've worked out and need to get past the mental barrier and just start something.

Like a lot, of you, I am a TV/movie fan. Love GOT too, though Walking Dead is my favorite. Reading everyone's intros makes me excited for this group. I' looking forward to our journey to lose weight, forming friendships, and supporting each other.
  • abbyjane81
    Options
    Welcome, everyone! So excited to get to know you all!