Low carb and dealing with 1. severe hypoglycemia and 2. Getting your fiber

Options
CanadaEh1
CanadaEh1 Posts: 31 Member
Hi, I want to try low carb; but I have severe hypoglycemia, so I'm wondering how to address my blood sugar needs. Also, I am trying to figure out how to get my fiber and keep my carbs low. Advice would be appreciated. Thank you :). Elizabeth Maryam

Replies

• tatiianag13
    tatiianag13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Maybe folks other than me have fiber recommendations. I know some folks eat psyillium husks. But many of us on LCHF don't find (or believe) that we need to think about fiber as something we need. If your concern is, ahem, regularity--a good amount of dietary fat takes care of that for many of us. That's my 2 cents.
  • CanadaEh1
    Options
    Maybe folks other than me have fiber recommendations. I know some folks eat psyillium husks. But many of us on LCHF don't find (or believe) that we need to think about fiber as something we need. If your concern is, ahem, regularity--a good amount of dietary fat takes care of that for many of us. That's my 2 cents.

• icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Minus your fiber count from your carbs. They are carbs, but they are not carbs your body absorbs. I have hypoglycemia. Part of the first few weeks is dealing with that when you drop your carbs. Increase your fat intake, keep your protein strong, and eat several small meals a day. You are teaching your body how to live without so many carbs. If you're anything like me, once your body gets used to it, you won't have near the blood sugar problems you used to, in fact you should find that your blood sugar stays even rather than zigzagging like it used to and you'll feel like a whole new person.
  • CanadaEh1
    Options
    icerose137 wrote: »
    Minus your fiber count from your carbs. They are carbs, but they are not carbs your body absorbs. I have hypoglycemia. Part of the first few weeks is dealing with that when you drop your carbs. Increase your fat intake, keep your protein strong, and eat several small meals a day. You are teaching your body how to live without so many carbs. If you're anything like me, once your body gets used to it, you won't have near the blood sugar problems you used to, in fact you should find that your blood sugar stays even rather than zigzagging like it used to and you'll feel like a whole new person.