Very low carb friends needed/most popular low carb items n meals

Options
2»

Replies

• nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Add me please. LCHF for nine months now. Down 75 pounds. Carbs set at 20 net or below. Fat at 70% or higher. Protein under 90 grams per day. Do occasional fat fasts to break plateaus. Need some SERIOUS low carb friends. I log every day. Ride bike or SPIN for exercise. Occasionally hit the gym. Exercise 5 to 6 days per week.
  • Lei9785gha
    Lei9785gha Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone will do!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I am not very low carb right now, but if you need suggestions for something specific I have a million ideas! Was on Atkins for years, and am now low-er carb but also Paleo and trying to focus on eliminating some other things and allowing myself some leeway. Message me your questions!
  • Ruskinbarb
    Ruskinbarb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Add me too. I'm trying to keep mine around 25.
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone.... Add me too, I can't request from my iPad for some weird reason. I love Pinterest for ideas & variety and I'm fairly consistent with tracking !!!!
  • mrjaceves
    Options
    Hey everyone, feel free to add me. Just getting started on my journey agian, but have had great results in the past. I try to keep my daily intake 20g or lower.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    So I want to try and make kale chips, baked or fried in coconut oil. I read about it somewhere, can't remember where. My concern is that when I tried adding it to my Nutribullet shakes it was so bitter I had to add a banana to tolerate it. Not going to do a banana of course. Does anyone know how to get it to not be so bitter?
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    oh, and anyone, feel free to add me. I know Atkins but still learning the ins and outs of LCHF, like supplementing some electrolytes, making sure I get some trace iodine, and eating way more fat and not so much protein.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    dawlfin318 wrote: »
    So I want to try and make kale chips, baked or fried in coconut oil. I read about it somewhere, can't remember where. My concern is that when I tried adding it to my Nutribullet shakes it was so bitter I had to add a banana to tolerate it. Not going to do a banana of course. Does anyone know how to get it to not be so bitter?

You don't have to eat kale if you don't want to, so don't feel pressured into it. I can taste the bitter in kale (and other greens...and nearly all coffees....and grapefruits....), and even a single leaf will overwhelm the rest of the ingredients in my smoothie, so I don't even bother. If I want a green smoothie, I'll use spinach instead, which blends a lot more easily.

Kale's major claims to fame are its vitamin A, C, and K, and manganese content. You can get better A and K from butter (the active form A, and K2; as opposed to beta carotene and K1, both of which need to be converted to be used) -- plus, you get the fat required to absorb those vitamins to begin with. Vitamin C is available in just about everything (including other greens, like spinach, and other vegetables, like peppers and broccoli). Manganese is also found in spinach (in fact, spinach's nutrient profile is pretty similar to kale), and...well...pretty much everything else (seriously, apparently it's even in the basic black tea you can get from the store). Spices (cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, saffron, you name it), nuts, cocoa, seeds, freshwater fish (including bass, trout, pike, and perch).

That said, in my experimentation with coffee, I found that fat plays a big role in neutralizing the bitterness, as does the quality of the coffee. I've found that I can do lattes with half & half from a local coffee shop that uses a local, high quality roaster and do it almost without any flavoring. For cheaper coffees (basically, anything from a grocery store), heavy cream in about 1-to-1, plus about a teaspoon or so of xylitol make for a pretty tasty drink.

The only way I've been able to completely neutralize the bitter flavors in coffee, though, to the point that I could taste the coffee, was with a concoction that I created based on Mark Sisson's Primal Egg Coffee -- cup of coffee, 2-3 eggs, 3 tbsp butter, 1 tsp sugar, ~1 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 tsp vanilla extract, 1/4 c whole milk, 1 tsp ground cinnamon. Yes, it sounds horrid, but throw it all in a blender and you a custard-like coffee drink that's actually pretty good. Unfortunately, it took pretty much all of that to make a drink that neutralized the bitter compounds and didn't have a flat flavor profile (seriously, I tried without the sugar one time, and the whole damn thing tasted flat, it was like the sugar acted like how salt normally acts in most cooking -- bring out the different flavors).

(Side-by-side comparison of spinach and kale, linked above -- http://www.healthaliciousness.com/nutritionfacts/nutrition-facts-compare.php )
  • Jadehollybee
    Jadehollybee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Please add me also looking for low carb ideas and share my diary
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    dawlfin318 wrote: »
    So I want to try and make kale chips

Kale chips...yuuuuuuummmmmmm. ;-) I don't notice bitter when I make the chips at all. I've done different flavors (malt vinegar and salt is really good, as is garlic salt). I usually tear the kale into bite size pieces, discarding the stems (or chopping it into my pupper dogs dinner). Toss the kale pieces in a TBSP or so of olive oil and seasoning(s) of choice in a ziploc bag til well coated. Spread on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at about 350* for 10 or so minutes, watching and gently turning as necessary. They'll get dry and crispy, very fragile. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Swat your teenager's hands away as they try to scarf them all down before you get a chance to have any <--very important. ;-)