I WANT your personal opinion or experience

Lei9785gha
Lei9785gha Posts: 73 Member
This is not a low carb queation but guys r great and I know ur not a dr and ur thoughts will be ur thoughts only I jus want to hear ur opinion. ..

I think im taking too many vitamins/supplements...I just think a seperate onw for eveeything is too much not that the many different benefits are...so currwntly I take a seperate pill for: cla tonalin, omega three fish oil, folic acid, prenatal with dha, and biotin..geesh can I combine some or make a magic pill with all of this n one with the same potency..geessshhhh.....is there another group or forum for this?

I will seek a physicians help and also im visiting gnc this wk to ask the same questions..

Thanks

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    I personally take a whole food multivitamin Mega FOOD Women over 40, Omega 3 Nordic Naturals Omega D, Mega food Thyroid support, and at my TOM Mega Food Blood Builder. ANd I take Calm Magesium (powder in a drink) and D3 Drops in the drink.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    edited January 2015
    I take a prenatal vitamin. Vit D3, Biotin 5000, Cal-mag at night, Shitake mushroom and Hawthorn as far as vitamins go. I am also on thyroid and have to take it as far away from my calcium as possible.

OH I am far away from being pregnant. LOL I am just lazy to take all the different vitamins so the prenatal works well for my hair and nails. D3 is 2000 and Biotin are to help with my psoriasis or so they say.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    If you are taking a prenatal with dha, why the extra folic acid and biotin? Aren't those covered in your prenatal? other than that, the CLA and fish oil...usually those don't come in something else unless it's a "diet pill" or "energy supplement".
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    If you are taking a prenatal with dha, why the extra folic acid and biotin? Aren't those covered in your prenatal? other than that, the CLA and fish oil...usually those don't come in something else unless it's a "diet pill" or "energy supplement".

That was my same question. Getting adequate folic acid while being pregnant is important (I think that's the one...its been a couple years lol) so its usually pretty well covered in a prenatal.
  • ybell300
    ybell300 Posts: 32 Member
    I hope not to sound dumb but why are you all taking prenatal vitamins? I only took them when I was pregnant and could barely stomach them. If this is something I should take I will try again. Just curious
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    I take prenatals also but am not pregnant. I get mine from GNC with the DHA because they come in gel form and you take 3 a day. So they arent so packed together that your body cant digest them all before it passes its way out of your system. It makes my tummy much less upset than regular prenatals.

I also add in a few different things, like fish oil, cinnamon, biotin, D3, etc because of my IR, PCOS and deficient in D3.
  • ellenkilpatrick
    ellenkilpatrick Posts: 67 Member
    well I take D3, fish oil, biotin, chromiun, garcinia, B12, calcium, glucosamine, multi gummy, and maybe one or two others... I have not been sick in years, my allergies have not bothered me in years either Some people may say that it is too many .... i feel great!!!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    ybell300 wrote: »
    I hope not to sound dumb but why are you all taking prenatal vitamins? I only took them when I was pregnant and could barely stomach them. If this is something I should take I will try again. Just curious

I don't do it, personally, so I may be off, but it's common in part because it contains DHAs and folic acid, which are things commonly useful to people in general, and specifically to women with PCOS (though I'd argue for finding a separate folate supplement, instead of a folic acid one, but that's a different matter altogether).
    Lei9785gha wrote: »
    This is not a low carb queation but guys r great and I know ur not a dr and ur thoughts will be ur thoughts only I jus want to hear ur opinion. ..

I think im taking too many vitamins/supplements...I just think a seperate onw for eveeything is too much not that the many different benefits are...so currwntly I take a seperate pill for: cla tonalin, omega three fish oil, folic acid, prenatal with dha, and biotin..geesh can I combine some or make a magic pill with all of this n one with the same potency..geessshhhh.....is there another group or forum for this?

I will seek a physicians help and also im visiting gnc this wk to ask the same questions..

Thanks

You think you take a lot, you should see my son's laundry list of supplements. He's up to 7 different ones, plus his multivitamins, and we're only about a third of the way through adding everything. We have a multitude of deficiencies to thank for that one (induced at least in part by several rounds of antibiotics when he was younger, thanks to recurring ear and sinus infections).

Most of the things you named can't really be combined -- at least not into one "magic pill", though you are duplicating some things.

You pretty much have to get the fish oil as a separate supplement (and the good ones should be refrigerated, not on the shelf at room temperature, due to the sensitivity of the Omega-3 oils). You can probably combine the fish oil and CLA by going with something like Green Pastures fermented cod liver oil and high vitamin butter oil (CLA is found abundantly in butter, btw). That will get you a number of other vitamins, too, including A and D.

The prenatal should have folic acid in it already, though if you're going to go with a separate source for it, consider finding one that's folate, not folic acid. Folate is the active form that the body can use directly, while folic acid is the man-made form that the body needs to first convert.

That said, you can get sufficient amounts of a lot of those through your diet. Egg yolks are a rich source of folate, biotin, Omega-3s, and numerous vitamins. Butter, as I mentioned, provides tons of CLA and vitamins A and D (and butter's vitamin A is like liver's -- the active form that the body can use directly, unlike the beta carotene precursor found in vegetables). So, unless you have a reason to supplement with them, you may be able to drop those supplements entirely if your diet has a fair amount of foods like those.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    I take a handful of supplements every night and have for years...just made it a nighttime ritual and don't think much about it now. The resource I used was "Dr. Atkins VitaNutrient Solution" which was very helpful in identifying areas I was lacking, and also complements a lower carb diet extremely well. The book was published in 1999, and is still in print, although you may get lucky and find a copy at the Goodwill or another thrift store.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    edited January 2015
    I take the prenatal vitamins because it is easier for me to just do one pill and get most of it done. As I said in my post above it is good for my splitting hair and nails. The psoriasis puts me into a hell people that do not have it will never understand. My fingernails were lifting from the nail beds and shredding. I had to put a lift tab on the toilet seat lid because I could not tuck my fingers under to lift it for the pain of my nails and fingers.

http://flickr.com/photos/50185661@N03/6273366182/

I take EXTRA biotin and D3 because I have psoriasis and these two added vitamins in a higher dose that most people take seems to help me slow down the flairing. I did not know the PNV were good for PCOS but I do believe I had it when I was younger. I had all kinds of female problems and cysts ending in hysterectomy at a very early age, just turning 26.

I can not stomach fish oil and no body is going to talk me into trying it again in any brand just do not go there I do not care if I die earlier because I do not take it.

• Lei9785gha

Yes they are covered in the prenatal but I'm n the process of growing my hair back longer after it was damaged and figured adding extra biotin wouldn't hurt and I obviously have fertility issues so I wAs taking extra folic acid as well. I'm not pregnant but wouldn't mind being a mom I've been off of birth control for at least 3 maybe even four years. I do know I have one blocked tube so I'm hoping one day it lands the right way but anyway hopefully this ur is my yr to be a mom or hopefully we can afford more testing and help.....after typing This maybe I should stop all the extra huh..... Thx for allowing me to vent
  • Lei9785gha
    MelRC117 wrote: »

That was my same question. Getting adequate folic acid while being pregnant is important (I think that's the one...its been a couple years lol) so its usually pretty well covered in a prenatal.

Yes they are covered in the prenatal but I'm n the process of growing my hair back longer after it was damaged and figured adding extra biotin wouldn't hurt and I obviously have fertility issues so I wAs taking extra folic acid as well. I'm not pregnant but wouldn't mind being a mom I've been off of birth control for at least 3 maybe even four years. I do know I have one blocked tube so I'm hoping one day it lands the right way but anyway hopefully this ur is my yr to be a mom or hopefully we can afford more testing and help.....after typing This maybe I should stop all the extra huh..... Thx for allowing me to vent
  • Lei9785gha

No dumb question. But I want to have children.
  • Lei9785gha
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

I don't do it, personally, so I may be off, but it's common in part because it contains DHAs and folic acid, which are things commonly useful to people in general, and specifically to women with PCOS (though I'd argue for finding a separate folate supplement, instead of a folic acid one, but that's a different matter altogether).
    Lei9785gha wrote: »

Thanks

You think you take a lot, you should see my son's laundry list of supplements. He's up to 7 different ones, plus his multivitamins, and we're only about a third of the way through adding everything. We have a multitude of deficiencies to thank for that one (induced at least in part by several rounds of antibiotics when he was younger, thanks to recurring ear and sinus infections).

Most of the things you named can't really be combined -- at least not into one "magic pill", though you are duplicating some things.

You pretty much have to get the fish oil as a separate supplement (and the good ones should be refrigerated, not on the shelf at room temperature, due to the sensitivity of the Omega-3 oils). You can probably combine the fish oil and CLA by going with something like Green Pastures fermented cod liver oil and high vitamin butter oil (CLA is found abundantly in butter, btw). That will get you a number of other vitamins, too, including A and D.

The prenatal should have folic acid in it already, though if you're going to go with a separate source for it, consider finding one that's folate, not folic acid. Folate is the active form that the body can use directly, while folic acid is the man-made form that the body needs to first convert.

That said, you can get sufficient amounts of a lot of those through your diet. Egg yolks are a rich source of folate, biotin, Omega-3s, and numerous vitamins. Butter, as I mentioned, provides tons of CLA and vitamins A and D (and butter's vitamin A is like liver's -- the active form that the body can use directly, unlike the beta carotene precursor found in vegetables). So, unless you have a reason to supplement with them, you may be able to drop those supplements entirely if your diet has a fair amount of foods like those.

This was a great response. I will definitely make good use of this information. I eat eggs maybe twice a day sooooo this is great news. Thanks
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    I tend to take them based on a web curve.

I Google. I mentally note the amounts that I find from many sources. Where the numbers cluster is what I call the sweet spot.

For example the range for Vitamin D3 is 4,000 units to 115,000 units daily. The 60,000 to 115,000 units daily are what one US med school trained MD uses to cure MS with a 95% success rate per his Youtube info. So the 115,000 units and the 4000 units info gets clipped by me and I run with the 5000-20,000 daily. I have the family on 10,000 units daily and I am doing 20,000 until the end of the month then I go to 10,000 because I have been down in the 22-28 level range for the last two years and I am pushing to get to the 70-75 level by my next physical.

By the way a white person wearing no sun blocker and a good level of cholesterol on a beach in FL in the summer for 20 minutes between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm will produce about 20,000 units of vitamin D3 per most medical literature I have read for what it is worth.

I do not recommend these number or even taking any vitamins because I am not in that business. I do recommend using Google to find info on any subject of one's interest and read the literature and to watch Youtube videos of health care professionals speaking to peers in medical conferences. Due to the health care training that the wife and I have we are fine for calling the shots in our home but not the homes of others on vitamin usage.

Folks all the info is out there. One just has to be careful as to what is valid into and someone trying to sell products, etc.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    I take a multivitamin, CLA, probiotics, c with zinc and echinacea vit e .. and yea, that's it. I used to take B complex, but now I am eating more carbs so I don't think I need it.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    I tend to take them based on a web curve.

I Google. I mentally note the amounts that I find from many sources. Where the numbers cluster is what I call the sweet spot.

For example the range for Vitamin D3 is 4,000 units to 115,000 units daily. The 60,000 to 115,000 units daily are what one US med school trained MD uses to cure MS with a 95% success rate per his Youtube info. So the 115,000 units and the 4000 units info gets clipped by me and I run with the 5000-20,000 daily. I have the family on 10,000 units daily and I am doing 20,000 until the end of the month then I go to 10,000 because I have been down in the 22-28 level range for the last two years and I am pushing to get to the 70-75 level by my next physical.

By the way a white person wearing no sun blocker and a good level of cholesterol on a beach in FL in the summer for 20 minutes between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm will produce about 20,000 units of vitamin D3 per most medical literature I have read for what it is worth.

I do not recommend these number or even taking any vitamins because I am not in that business. I do recommend using Google to find info on any subject of one's interest and read the literature and to watch Youtube videos of health care professionals speaking to peers in medical conferences. Due to the health care training that the wife and I have we are fine for calling the shots in our home but not the homes of others on vitamin usage.

Folks all the info is out there. One just has to be careful as to what is valid into and someone trying to sell products, etc.

If only I lived in Florida! North UK pretty rubbish - I am looking at D3 supplementing to help with sleep problems - these have improved on Keto, but I am still dreaming of a perfect 7 hours!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I take a special multi-vitamin without iron (due to POP probs, also has magnesium and potassium), Vitamin D3 (sometimes twice a day - major deficiency), I was taking Inositol before I ran out (but it is in the multi, so I've gone back to that, though I'd stopped for a while), sometimes a B-Complex, Iodoral (for thyroid), B12, and cranberry extract for B12 absorption (major deficiencies due to Metformin, hormonal BC, and other factors). I'm running low on a lot of this, so I'm dreading not being able to refill anything...

Should be interesting to see how new bloodwork comes out with new way of eating.
  • hkaiser350
    hkaiser350 Posts: 4
    edited January 2015
    Um- I don't take vitamins...at least not yet. I am being monitored by my doctor as I go through my weight loss/different eating plan and my blood work so far is fine. As long as you are eating a variety of foods you should be ok. You are wasting your money if your body doesn't need it because your body will not absorb all of the vitamins and you will pee the rest out. (Said from my doctors mouth lol)
    So if you medically need the pills then I'm not sure what to tell you lol!
    BUT if your doctor hasn't said you need them then I just wouldn't take them to be honest. Blood work will tell you if you are deficient in anything and that is hard to do unless you just avoid a lot of nutrient rich foods completely. And if you are worried about being vitamin D deficient try to get 15 minutes of sun a day at minimum this will boost your vitamin d levels and it's free! (I know this last part is hard in the winter because I live in Maine and I don't want to be outside in the winter time, but I suffer through with lots of layers lol! Good luck on finding your answer!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    hkaiser350 wrote: »
    Um- I don't take vitamins...at least not yet. I am being monitored by my doctor as I go through my weight loss/different eating plan and my blood work so far is fine. As long as you are eating a variety of foods you should be ok

I am right there with you. No supplements of any sort for me, and you could say that my diet is anything but varied. I've recently had blood work, and nothing odd came up. If something had, I may have considered supplementing just that one thing.