naturally occurring carbs.

Options
Hey everyone, just wondering if you guys counted carbs that are naturally occurring in fruit and veg? I personally never have seeing as most contain a decent amount of fiber to kind of offset these.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I have found I need to count them in part due to so many hidden carbs when eating out. The night thing about nuts and vegetables is often the fiber number is 50% of the carb count.
  • mrjaceves
    Options
    Yeah I don't eat out often. I usually meal plan for the week. I try for 4-5 meals a day. The bulk being lean protein and fibrous veg. I do however like to snack on raw almonds throughout the day! I just noticed the diary here counts all the naturally occurring
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a naturally occurring carb, too. Potatoes are chock full of naturally occurring carbs. Apples, grapes, pineapple, bananas, and pears are also full of naturally occurring carbs. Can we just ignore all of these?

While there is a case to be made for subtracting fiber carbs, there is no such exemption for other carbs (natural or not... Although I am hard pressed to imagine an unnatural carb). Fruits count, vegetables count, all the carbs count.

Granted, you would have a hard time over-eating carbs with just spinach. Rest assured, though, the carbs in spinach (minus the fiber) count against your daily limit. You can kick yourself out of your goal range with vegetables. It's fairly easy to do with fruit.
  • mrjaceves
    Options
    I guess I never looked at it like that. Potatoes are or most root veg are no where on my radar for their sugar content. Thanks for putting it in that perspective for me!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Depending on your personal limit, you could probably get away with not counting most leafy green stuff. The amount of net carbs in those are pretty minimal. A person would need to eat a lot of broccoli to get over 50g of net carbs. LOL

Still, it's best to be aware of the total amount of carbs you're eating. It's very easy to suffer from "carb-creep" where you're slowly eating more and more carbs without realizing how they all add up.
  • non3ck
    non3ck Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find it best to count all carbs and fiber to get to net carbs. As FIT_Goat mentions, it is really easy to "carb-creep" if you start to assume offsets and ignore total counts. This is especially true at low carb levels (e.g., 20 grams per day).
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Nuts such as almonds are surprisingly high in carbs too - depends how many you are eating when you snack through the day. Depends how low you are aiming for on carbs, but if I have a lunch of nuts as I sometimes do when I haven't anything else suitable, that might be nearly half my carbs for the day.
  • pcfrend
    pcfrend Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    mrjaceves wrote: »
    Hey everyone, just wondering if you guys counted carbs that are naturally occurring in fruit and veg? I personally never have seeing as most contain a decent amount of fiber to kind of offset these.

Exellent question - just reviewing the carbs in Broccoli and fruit and wondering the same thing. I count anything I put in my mouth :) as it adds up by the end of the day. Knowing broccoli is high carb helps me to be extremely careful with other carbs. I've lost 70-80 lbs 3 times in my life on a low cal/low fat diet but gained it back every time. So - this journey will be about low carbs (eventually Keto) meal plans. It works. I expect my wl to be achieved and to lose it for good (assuming I stay LC). Good luck!
  • globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Great post ! I currently aim for 50 carbs TOTAL daily including any vegetables & nuts etc. Therefore, if I go over on the odd day then I don't beat myself up about it knowing that my actual net figure is usually much lower. I too would eventually like to go back to Keto but I became far too worried about the science and lost motivation after 3 weeks. Now I am losing at this carb number any enjoying so much more variety.
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I thought I was counting them, and then I read an article that said that on UK nutrition labels it is always presented at net carbs, my diary has a mixture of items added from labels and also lots of generic veg items from the MFP databse that I am assuming are total carbs. It started hurting my head so I've stopped worrying too much about it - I manage to stay in keto (checked on a blood monitor) most of the time from what I am eating (which from a veg standpoint doesn't change that much) which includes tenderstem broccoli rather a lot. I think I may have a slightly higher carb tolerance though compared with some people. Does anyone have any suggestions on a way around this or do I just have to dig out my calculator and do it manually?
  • globegirl08
    Options
    HaggisWhisperer - what you are doing seems to be working well for you so don't start to get bogged down by the numbers if your general macros are good :smile:

I prefer cooking from scratch and using whole foods (where possible) ....its the only way you can really get a closer count. Other than that, I think the 'net carb' figures are usually pretty accurate when logged. For example, I sometimes eat Quest bars as an 'on the go' option when I travel . Even if the 'net carb' figure is written on the packet (for e.g 3grams net) , then my log actually automatically enters the total carbs and total fibre (e.g. 21 grams carbs, 18grams fibre) .
    p.s Luuuurve tenderstem broccoli, might have that tonight asian style with some toasted sesame seeds...yum! :p
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I cook mostly from scratch - I just add my ingredients to the diary. The net carb/total carb thing affects even basic produce. Have a look at my diary for lunch today (it should be public) - I've added 100g broccoli and carrots twice as an example (I'll delete them later) - one entry from the product label and one from the MFP non-asterisked database items. It doesn't make things easy! But, as you say, I should stop worrying about it until it stops working for me. I'm just a bit of a number junkie and I like accuracy...
  • globegirl08
    Options
    Wow, I see what you mean...huge differences even for raw produce! I made a comparison of the two items and even crossed checked physically via the Sainbury's website. It seems that the MFP generic listings for raw produce are all sourced from the USDA (US Department of Agriculture) and differ greatly from our UK sources. As this site is truly platformed mostly around our friends across the pond, we perhaps need to go by UK nutritional counter to maintain a consistent approach to our logs. I have searched around and found nothing like a 'one stop shop' for this, maybe somebody else might know ? Until then, perhaps just use supermarket data and avoid the generic....which I myself have been doing too unknowingly....oops ! The good news is that at the end of the day, a broccoli or a carrot remain the same in our bodies no matter the accent haha :wink: Going to add you if you don't mind, would love to keep in touch
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Nuts such as almonds are surprisingly high in carbs too - depends how many you are eating when you snack through the day. Depends how low you are aiming for on carbs, but if I have a lunch of nuts as I sometimes do when I haven't anything else suitable, that might be nearly half my carbs for the day.

You should see cashews. Geez Louise! 2 handfuls is a whole day for me.