Fighting the desire to eat when tired

Options
JudiMoving2
JudiMoving2 Posts: 77 Member
Why is it when I feel rundown or just very low on energy my brain says "Eat something" as though this will perk me up? I had good breakfast, I know I am not hungry, and have been sipping away at my water... why then am I continually nagged by the thought of having some comfort food?

Do any of you feel this way, pre-op or post-op; and what have you done to alleviate it?
(I sit in a cube all day, where I am now.)

Replies

• benagek
    benagek Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    mine comes when I'm all alone in the house and I'm doing some mindless activity like watching television. All of the sudden the "I'm hungry" voice starts in. I totally know that I'm not hungry, but after a little while, I feel famished. I have told myself that the only thing I can eat in this situation would be a piece of fruit. But more often I try to turn the tv off and go do something else. That of course wouldn't work for you at work. Just try and set up new self talk in your head about what is really going on and what you will or will not allow now in this circumstance. I hope it works!
  • bonitadonita
    Options
    I have experienced the same feeling off and on for the past 7 years. I found out that a lot had to do with my anemia. Are you making sure you are getting enough protein and iron? Now that I really made an improvement in this area, it really has helped.
  • JudiMoving2
    Options
    I actually thought maybe it was due to anemia, and ate some extra raw spinach this morning with my egg! the self talk is important. I regret to inform you that I fell victim to the office muffin basket this morning. 220 cals. 9g fat. Ugh. BUT I feel much better now!!!! Ha ha ha ... oh this is going to be difficult.

I do agree with the find something else to do. But it seemed more than that.. low energy. i have really restricted my diet for the last week, keeping it close to 1500 for pre-op, I think there is a lot of adjustment still in works. Maybe my body is just getting mad at me. :smile:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I try and keep one protein bar in my desk or one cheese snack in the office fridge for those times I just want to eat (today!). It helps to have my own stuff rather than some of the candy and such around the office.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My head hunger creeps up on my during the weekends when I'm home. I try to ignore it and if I cant then I just grab a string cheese.

Why is it when I feel rundown or just very low on energy my brain says "Eat something" as though this will perk me up? I had good breakfast, I know I am not hungry, and have been sipping away at my water... why then am I continually nagged by the thought of having some comfort food?

Do any of you feel this way, pre-op or post-op; and what have you done to alleviate it?
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    jazzine1 wrote: »
    My head hunger creeps up on my during the weekends when I'm home. I try to ignore it and if I cant then I just grab a string cheese.

Why is it when I w rundown or just very low on energy my brain says "Eat something" as though this will perk me up? I had good breakfast, I know I am not hungry, and have been sipping away at my water... why then am I continually nagged by the thought of having some comfort food?

Yes eating late in the evening when I'm tired is my biggest problem, I get this insatiable appetite. I could just eat anything handy.

I've tried water and it helps until I get to bed and have to get up over and over for the bathroom.

Randy
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    benagek wrote: »
    mine comes when I'm all alone in the house and I'm doing some mindless activity like watching television. All of the sudden the "I'm hungry" voice starts in. I totally know that I'm not hungry, but after a little while, I feel famished.

This is me. When I'm bored is usually when the "head-hunger" really start to howl. My old habit was to snack as I sat watching tv and so now watching tv still brings up that association in my head. Most of the time I am watching tv after I have had supper, so just tell myself I am not hungry and I cannot eat anything more. A few times I have grabbed a glass of skim milk because I can use the dairy, it's not too many calories, and I get protein.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Self-talk is my only way around this. It's those old habits of eating something whenever I am stressed. I keep a bottle of ice water with me at all times and try to change my environment. I leave my desk and walk around the office or something. Just a change of scenery sometimes gets my mind off it.
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    At work my breaks do not always coincide with my head hunger. If I cannot get out for a quick walk, I've found sipping a hot drink, like tea or sugar free cocoa really works for me. The same at home, bored or in TV brain dead mode, I'll grab a SF hot cocoa. For me the "comfort factor" of having something warm makes me feel better.
  • hochhalc
    hochhalc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    At work my breaks do not always coincide with my head hunger. If I cannot get out for a quick walk, I've found sipping a hot drink, like tea or sugar free cocoa really works for me. The same at home, bored or in TV brain dead mode, I'll grab a SF hot cocoa. For me the "comfort factor" of having something warm makes me feel better.

I like this. I was thinking as I read through that plain water would not do it for me at that stage. Try some flavored water, maybe with vitamins.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    When feeling the desire to snack (either in the afternoon at work or late night), I try to tell myself to drink a liter of water and *then* have a snack. Most of the time, the snackiness has passed by the time I get done.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    When feeling the desire to snack (either in the afternoon at work or late night), I try to tell myself to drink a liter of water and *then* have a snack. Most of the time, the snackiness has passed by the time I get done.

That's a great technique! If it's not real hunger, just head hunger, that would sure solve it! Thanks Rob!

• IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I wanted to second/third the anemia thing. I'm pre-op, but if I miss even one day of my iron/B12 supplement I drag and my immediate go-to is wanting to eat more to get energy levels up...
  • Jessicadmx
    Jessicadmx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Even post op my head still tries to run my stomach...

Dang head hunger... My brain still remembers all the years of habits. TV and the movies is a big one for me . For a treat I brought flavored almonds to the movie the other day.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

I like having something hot to drink too, especially in the evening. I will drink sugar free hot cocoa or decaf coffee with sugar free syrup, and also found some sugar free hot apple cider that's only about 15 calories that does the trick too.

• madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I havent needed this since the surgery, but it worked before the surgery. Pick up some food grade mint extract. A couple drops on the tongue will override the head hunger as the mint is very overwhelming, not in a bad way. But I always found it changed my mind about cravings, kind of like brushing your teeth. I also heard if you smell orange peel extract it can do the same thing.
  • JudiMoving2
    Options
    madmags wrote: »
    I havent needed this since the surgery, but it worked before the surgery. Pick up some food grade mint extract. A couple drops on the tongue will override the head hunger as the mint is very overwhelming, not in a bad way. But I always found it changed my mind about cravings, kind of like brushing your teeth. I also heard if you smell orange peel extract it can do the same thing.

That is a cool idea. Smells are very powerful. I am going to try this.
    I also love the hot drink idea. I love something warm when tired, although if at work, it may put me to sleep! Maybe mint extract in warm water.... too much like toothpaste water??? :smile:
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try the hot drink and/or the mint on the tongue. Is chewing gum out of the question post-op? I heard that it was.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to chew gum for about the 1st month or so.
    I would have a bad build up saliva similar to when you get that nausea feeling.
    Whether the Dr had allowed it or not, initially I just wasn't able to.
    I believe I was finally able to at about 1 1/2-2 months (Im 4 months now).
    Gum freshens my breath, keeps the saliva moving and it helps keep me entertained :wink:
    I have noticed that I don't chew it nearly as long as I used to (pre-op).
    I used to be content w/ chewing for hrs and now maybe 1/2 hr to a full hr then Im spitting it out!
  • 2dayucan
    2dayucan Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I get the disposable to go coffee cups with the lids at Costco or walmart and make sugar free hot chocolate, hot tea or decaf coffee and bring with me especially if its a place where I know people will be eating things I cant. Really helps to have something warm in my hands so I don't feel deprived. also bring the sf hot chocolate packages with me places just add hot water and so yummy. I am going through the classes now. any one in this group feel free to add me so we can cheer each other on!