So what do you all do for exercise? What is your favorite?

Options
jillshadow
jillshadow Posts: 76 Member
I have a gym membership and have a love/hate relationship with swimming. I love it, but I don't like that I have to shower (have to, I don't feel good if I don't take a shower right away while I am still wet. I hate being wet outside of swimming so if I get dry and then go home I don't want to shower again, so I have to shower at the gym) and then be naked around people because there is no place to change. People say to use the bathroom stalls but that just sounds unsanitary to me. Sometimes I also use the treadmills but I can only usually do 40 minutes because I get soooo bored. The husband won't let me take my kindle with me because he works for amazon and is paranoid about me dropping/breaking it. I would do weights, but I have type 2 diabetes and cardio/aerobics seems to lower my blood sugars more than weights, which is what I am going for. On days I cannot go to the gym (I rely on my aunt for rides, cannot drive because I never learned, and cannot afford a buss pass) I use workout videos. I love love love Richard Simmons because not only do you get a good workout, but you also laugh your *kitten* off (at least I do, because he is ridiculous). It's fun. I also use Leslie Sansone's walking videos. I love her too. Walking is putting it lightly. More like low impact aerobics. She kicks my *kitten* every time. So far I can only do her 3 mile walk, and barely at that. I am working on getting up to the 4 mile walk. I have tried Shaun T's videos but I cannot follow the moves. Do any of you use workout vids? Which ones? I am always looking for more!

Replies

• softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I have a Kettlebell book at home and DVD that I like.

I go to the gym, and force myself to do Spin class and yoga, and the body pump.

Tonight in Spin was funny, the instructor told us to increase the resistance on the bike because we were "going up a hill", I am thinking to myself, "at this point I would get off the bike a walk it up the rest of the way...". Then, we are going down, and the instructor yells to keep the cycle at 85 rpm, I am thinking, "but we are going DOWN, that means take a break!"...

I do better in classes, as I push myself more. I have a rule, I can never leave a class early, even if I want to, and I have to work as hard as everyone else. No slacking. My goal this month is to hit the gym every other day. Next month, every day. Then, take a Spartan Challenge class in May.
  • socialone74
    socialone74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bellydance, Leslie Sansone, Carmen Electra and anything dance
  • abbyjane81
    abbyjane81 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    At home I like the Leslie Sansone DVDs, I love going to Zumba classes, walks with the kids:)
    None of which I've been doing lately.... Lol
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I can't afford a gym membership so I just work out at home. I like doing step aerobics...I just put on a TV show and use a 6" step while I watch. I've been obsessed with squats lately and I try to do yoga...I'm really not flexible. I've found that I am more motivated when I'm doing activities that I can feel accomplishment in....completing a rep...beating my plank time....things like that. I need to do more cardio but it's too cold in the world for me to be running outside right now lol
  • betsysjl
    betsysjl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My favorite exercise is swimming, but there are not a lot of pools where I live, so I don't get to do it much. I used to hate the elliptical, but have learned to love it, I feel like it is not as hard on my joints as trying to jog on the treadmill. I've tried just about everything, and usually enjoy it, but I come up with a million excuses to not work out. I'm really struggling with that mental road block.

• carolinafirefly
    carolinafirefly Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My exercise tolerance had hit a record low before this last week when I started, well...exercising. Let's just say that MFP's "leisurely pace" does not feel leisurely whatsoever to me! But it's amazing how fast it's bouncing back now that I'm being more active.

My favorites right now are walking on the treadmill (mostly flat, although I put it in incline for a few minutes in the middle) at about 2.5-2.7mph (hey, it's faster than I was a week ago!) and zumba with youtube videos. The zumba surprised me. I didn't think I would like it, but I do even though only a half hour of it kicks my butt. I can't do it every day...no more often than every other day. I walk the other days.

I love walking outdoors...used to love hiking, but there's no suitable place for it within a few minutes' drive, so it's not feasible as a regular exercise for me right now. I'm thinking of maybe incorporating it once a week or so with a longer drive to a natural area.
  • mainebeachbum
    mainebeachbum Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I personally love outdoor exercise...hiking, swimming, skiing, walking the dog, snow shoeing, but most of it is just too hard now to be enjoyable. I can only do it for a few minutes and I am spent. My go to is the treadmill now, but I also do Hip Hop Abs at home when I can't get to the gym.
  • Marylandry89
    Marylandry89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have water aerobics(more like water Zumba) Twice a week and I do a class called POUND twice a week also! That one is so fun and a seriously hardcore workout! Love it! :)
  • c_leeee
    c_leeee Posts: 144 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I wish I was motivated to work out at home! I have to leave my house to get almost anything done; the only thing that I can do at home is Youtube Yoga! Yoga with Adriene is my favorite channel!
    As for leaving the house I'm trying to work myself up to running a 5K without stopping. I'm using the Couch 2 5K app on my iPhone and I love it! Running outside is a completely different experience as opposed to running on the treadmill.
    I am IN LOVE with the elliptical! Just recently I discovered that I have developed enough stamina to be able to go an entire hour on the elliptical with a 6 for resistance and a 3 for height. I am completely wobbly legged when I get off the dang thing but man is it worth it!
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5am treadmill girl, then I do some calisthenics. I may get back to a gym this winter, but haven't decided yet. My favorite things to do outside are to biking, hiking, jogging (actually ran a few 5k races in 2011 and look forward to getting back there again), we all ski and have recently started snow shoeing.

I love hearing about everyone's FAVS!!
  • natalie8313
    natalie8313 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @c_leeee‌ I just started the C25K this weekend! I'm looking forward to pushing myself through the days. Just starting to workout I thought the first 30min workout was going to kill me. But....alas....I LIVED!

I'm an elliptical girl myself. Im just getting into a workout routine so I don't have any favorites aside from that just yet.