Ketosis?

Options
karirenae
karirenae Posts: 106 Member
How soon can you "go" into Ketosis? I felt the keto flu or what I thought to be, the first week I started low carb (under 20g a day). I lost approx 10 lbs, then I had a cheat day and im pretty sure it kicked me out of ketosis. again, if thats what it was. I stopped losing for a week, now since monday, ive still been 20 or under and just started feeling the same. I lost 2 lbs as well... Ive read that ketosis doesnt start until youre about 4 weeks in and on strict carb deficit. What do you think?? I do exercise 3-4 days a week for an hour each, if that makes any difference at all..

Replies

• lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My ketostix started testing positive 2-3 days into keeping my carbs around 30. But I'd been keeping them around 50-100 for a long time so maybe that sped it up.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    karirenae wrote: »
    Ive read that ketosis doesnt start until youre about 4 weeks in and on strict carb deficit.

I think what you are referring to is that in about 4 weeks you become keto-adapted. Which is different from being in ketosis.

It sounds like yes, you were in ketosis and your cheat kicked you out of it. Unfortunately with this woe, cheats do set you back to the beginning. So you're back in ketosis, but not yet keto-adapted. There are a lot of great articles about Ketosis/keto-adaption which I have been reading and rereading. The distinction is very technical, and has a lot to do with how efficient your body is at converting fats (both stored and ingested), into fuel for your body and specifically your brain.

I highly suggest reading "the art and science of low carbohydrate living" or googling Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney. Very technical/scientific info, and honestly when I first started eating LC, I couldn't grasp a lot of what they talk about. BUT as time goes on and I learn more, I reference their books and feel like I can actually grasp the concepts a bit better.

Good luck.