What would you do?

Options
hi, I'm new here. I recently found out I have diabetes and I'm trying to control it with diet only without meds. So far so good. My fasting level today was 97.

Well, I kept snacking throughout the day after eating some cereal this morning. I've been on a low carb diet and today since I ate that cereal I kept feeling like I needed to eat and keep eating. So I kept snacking on healthier foods than cereal and no more grains all day. The problem is that after dinner I realized I've only had 700 calories all day. I would like to eat something more that is healthy, that will give me calories, without carbs. 700 calories a day isn't really healthy for me, since j need at least 1200. I just don't feel hungry, and I can't have more carbs today. Do you have suggestions on what to eat? This has happened a couple times before and I just didn't eat more, but I don't want to keep doing it because it isn't good for me.
Thanks in advance

Replies

• KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Florecita, I'm not the expert, I've only about 100 days into this journey but here is what is working for me up to this point. I treat the calorie and carb budgets generated by MFP as strict limits. If I go over on fats I don't worry very much. No more Cheerios & banana for breakfast but if I make a scramble with an egg, ricotta, mushrooms and a half serving of bacon, it keeps me satisfied until lunch. I've adjusted my MFP ratios a couple times and I'm currently at 50% fat. My doctor is happy with my blood work and as long as my numbers keep going in the right direction and I feel good, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Meat is great for protein which means keeping you feeling satisfied longer!
    Canned meat (fish, chicken), you don't have to cook (store them in your cupboards).
    Cheese, low in carbs (my string cheese comes up as zero carbs)
    Most Nuts do not have carbs (check out nutrition label 1st to know which 1's)
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    What would I do? ... I'd have a salad with chopped eggs and some avocado and olives.
  • cclepew
    cclepew Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Cheese and pepperoni. Veggies (celery, peppers, broccoli) with hummus or ranch dip. String cheese. A couple slices of deli turkey (the "all-natural" kind that's least processed). Celery with cream cheese or peanut butter. Atkins shakes (sweetened with Sucralose, no sugar alcohols, only 2g carbs and 160 calories).
  • ankalime
    ankalime Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Lean protein + healthy fats. Lean beef/pork, chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, olive oil, avocado, nuts (limited).
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I was surprised but jerky is a high protein, low calorie item. I keep individual packs in my desk drawer along with 100 calorie packs of nuts, string cheese or mini babybel cheese (I have a small refrigerator at work). I will pick up packages of fruits and veggies to keep on hand as well. I was able to find single serving packages of guacamole and hummus where were really nice since it was the right portion size, I haven't been able to find that lately. I find when I have protein for breakfast I don't get as hungry as fast.
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I would recommend not having cereal for breakfast. I know. Heresy, huh.
    Cereal raises your blood sugar and a bit later, your levels drop and you feel hungry again--even if you still feel full.
    Start your day with something satisfying.
    Try hot oatmeal with a banana sliced in it. Whole wheat toast with turkey and a cheese slice, and a piece of fruit. Scrambled eggs, fruit, a piece of whole-wheat toast.

If you start out right, you will be better equipped to handle the rest of the day.
    Eating too few calories just makes you prone to grabbing bad snacks the rest of the day.

Good luck. :D
  • florecita453
    florecita453 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advise. The only reason I had cereal is that I used to get most of my fiber from the carbs I ate. Now that I'm not eating all those foods, I'm having fiber problems :/ I also had 3 prunes and I saw them on my glucose meter lol
    I might have to start Metamucil so I don't depend on carbs for fiber. I used to eat and love beans, but they are high carbs for only about half a cup of them, who can eat only half a cup of beans? Haha
    I think my problem was mentioned above. I watch my carbs but I'm also strict on fat intake, especially the saturated fat which is in almost any cheese and red meat.
    Like I said, I'm a newbie, so I'm trying some new things to see what works for me. I was panicking because I was told by the doctor that diabetics are more likely to suffer from heart disease and other illnesses. But I gotta eat something right?
    Thanks again
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your carb limit is set to. however you need to realize that not all Carbs are created equal. There are two types of carbohydrates, "Refined" and "Whole Grain".
    1200 Calories a day is totally unrealistic for a lifestyle change which you could follow for the rest of your life. Some days I can eat 750 Calories at dinner and still be under my 1750 calorie a day limit. A reasonable portion of "Whole Grain" unrefined carbohydrates at each meal will not adversely affect you BG levels. Your blood sugar will naturally go up after a meal, unrefined carbohydrates do not cause the spikes you will notice when you eat things like refined cereals. Keep eating to your meter and you will see what works for you. Spikes in your Blood Glucose levels are to be avoided. You ideally want them to stay below 120-130 for an hour or so after a meal. Test two hours after your meal so see if you levels have returned to pre-meal measurements.
    The first several months are the most difficult to deal with as you need to constantly test to see how various food's will affect your BG levels. Eventually you will be able to live a normal life where you know what foods affect you the most, and you can avoid those foods or eat them in moderation. Remember the goal is to achieve a healthy balance that allows you lead a normal life style that you can easily follow for the rest of your life.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    oh my Chrisbtrue... If I ate a serving of oatmeal and a banana, my sugar would be through the roof. I can only eat 1/2 serving of oat meal with nothing but water. and it still raises my sugars up more than I like. Banana's are very high in sugar and it is suggested not to eat more than 1/2 a banana at a time due to this.

as for the OP, You can not do low carb and low fat, it just doesn't work. To keep the carbs out, you have nothing much left other than the fat. Fat is not bad for you over all... If in lean meants, nuts, cheeses, certain veggies and certain fruits which you will have to test before and after to see what kinds of veggies/fruits raise your sugar levels up too much.

I have an open diary if you want to take a look. I eat usually 5 to 6 times a day. 3 main meals and 2 to 3 snacks. I also record my Bs testing on my meals . pre meal, 1hr after, 2hr after. If I am not sure of a food or meal, I will test when I can. (sometimes hard to do at work if too busy).

Your diary is closed and you didn't say what kind of cereal you are eating. Also what number are you striving for in carbs? You also need to figure out your net carbs... (carbs minus the fiber equals the net carbs. Those are your "bad carbs so to speak". So you want foods that have higher fiber if you can find them.

To keep myself regulated.... I will eat all bran cereal with almond milk. I do not add anything else with it that has carbs to keep my sugars from spiking too high. This has mega fiber in it. I also have learned I can eat 2 prunes (serving size is 4 prunes) and 8oz of my almond milk and that does good with my sugars. It is all trial and error with basic rules to follow. Each of us are different. What works for one, doesn't work for another. But I think we all pretty much agree... Lower carb / higher fat = lower blood sugars and less roller coaster testing.
  • NK1112
    Options
    I found the trick to make my oatmeal not spike my blood glucose. 1/2 cup old fashioned oats, 1 cup water, 1 egg, 1/2 cup of berries. ... Mix the egg with the water, add the oatmeal and stir. Microwave - depending on your microwave oven it could be 2 minutes up to 4 or 5 ... it will rise up high so put it in a microwave safe bowl that holds at least 3 times the volume. You will end up with about 2 cups of finished porridge. It's got to be the egg that makes it slower acting ... and you do not taste the egg but get a lot of good fats and protein from it.

I also found that i need to keep my carbs under 35 per meal ... the American Diabetes Association and other medical reports say 45-60 grams of carbs but that is way too much for me at any meal.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    NK, I will have to try that with my oatmeal. I nuke it now with just water, so just need the egg... may make the difference like you said.
  • NK1112
    edited January 2015
    Options
    kayeiam wrote: »
    NK, I will have to try that with my oatmeal. I nuke it now with just water, so just need the egg... may make the difference like you said.

Yes Kaye ... it made the difference for me. I just whisk the egg into the water before I add the oatmeal. Not only does my BG not spike, but I am satisfied for a longer time.

It's due to the dded protein and fat from the egg. .... and egg fat is good fat.
  • florecita453
    florecita453 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I didn't mention that the 1200 calories a day are temporary until I return to my normal weight. I have gained some weight in the last few months and I want to get rid of it to better control my glucose and avoid new problems.
    I had totally let go and been eating terribly, so not only did I get weight, I also developed diabetis (I was already predisposed, I suppose)
    I've been jogging and dancing. I'm doing my best to not eat refined sugars or anything that doesn't seem healthy.
    I also found a new little glitch. My glucose is a little high even after a no carb dinner. And before bed it can be 105, just to wake up to 118.
    For some reason I'm either releasing too much glycogen at night, or..... I don't know why the discrepancy.
    If this has happened to anyone else and has gotten a good explanation for it, I would love to hear it. My theory is that I need more fiber in my diet which is said to help lower blood glucose and since I'm eating too much protein and not much fiber or carbs, it might be why I'm coming out higher than normal in the mornings.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It's a fairly common occurrence, your body getting ready for waking up.
    Here are a couple links.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/expert-answers/dawn-effect/FAQ-20057937
    webmd.com/diabetes/morning-high-blood-sugar-levels