iPod Touch

Options
Does anyone use an iPod Touch to record their runs? Does it even work like that?

Here's my issue: all my songs/audiobooks/podcasts/anything-I-ever-want-to-listen-to-while-I'm-running are all on iTunes, BUT I have an Android phone. I've been thinking about getting an ipod touch just for running, but I don't know if it will run apps like MapMyRun. If anyone knows the answer to this, please post here!

Replies

• JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I believe that any apps you can get for iPhone would also be available for the iPod Touch. I have mapmyrun and c25k on my iPhone.
  • iankirsch
    iankirsch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I run with an iPod touch and an arm band to hold it whilst running.It has couch to 5k on it,and map my run.Strava and a load of tunes which you can put in play lists if you want to.i really like it!please ask if you have any questions.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Yes and no - you CAN download the right apps to your iPod for this kind of tracking but if you aren't using wifi then your run won't track. Unless you somehow have your iPod hooked up for data.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks! I think I'm going to get one as my next "reward" for weight lost, and use it as a timer, but then carry my phone in my back pocket to track my runs. That way I can use my own tunes. I have a large music library on iTunes, but mostly I want it for my audiobooks. I have over 90gb of audiobooks alone!
  • acorsaut89
    Options
    To get that kind of storage you might be paying a bit more than normal for an iPod - just for reference.
  • acorsaut89
    Options
    iankirsch wrote: »
    I run with an iPod touch and an arm band to hold it whilst running.It has couch to 5k on it,and map my run.Strava and a load of tunes which you can put in play lists if you want to.i really like it!please ask if you have any questions.

Does map my run actually track your run while you're going - or do you have to set it before hand? My iPod will give me the runs I've put in there without wifi but it needs some kind of network connection to be "active" more or less
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks! I think I'm going to get one as my next "reward" for weight lost, and use it as a timer, but then carry my phone in my back pocket to track my runs. That way I can use my own tunes. I have a large music library on iTunes, but mostly I want it for my audiobooks. I have over 90gb of audiobooks alone!

You could take a copy of your iTunes library and use an android app to put them onto your phone. I use the Smartaudiobook reader on my GalaxyS4.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    Yes and no - you CAN download the right apps to your iPod for this kind of tracking but if you aren't using wifi then your run won't track. Unless you somehow have your iPod hooked up for data.

The key point here is that the Touch doesn't have a GPS receiver. To conserve battery power on my phone I used to switch off the phone itself by putting it in aeroplane mode, use it as a GPS receiver to track my session, then switch it on again at home. So it would record the tracking data without needing to be connected to the network.

I think you'd be more cost effective buying a GPS watch, something like the 310XT will be pretty low cost as it's now quite an old, but still capable, device.