Fatigue

Options
Jessicadmx
Jessicadmx Posts: 28 Member
I am 2 1/2 weeks post op gastric sleeve with complications such as bile leak, and pancreatitis. I am soooo fatigued today... Like I can barely stay awake. When will the fatigue get better???

Replies

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    It will get better as you can get more fluids and protein into your diet. It takes time. And you have to be patient with yourself as you recover from major surgery also. Each day, you will get stronger. But there are still some days I feel exhausted (when I increase exercise, change things up, etc.) Best wishes!!
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yep it will get better. Took me several months to feel up to my normal energy level after surgery. And now, 2.5 year out, energy level is off the hook lol
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Ypou are still healing and with the complications, it will take you longer than those without complications. But as you heal and get better/more nutrition, you will feel less fatigue.
  • Jessicadmx
    Options
    Thanks. I have just been trying to rest as much as possible. My doctor extended my leave to 8 weeks since I am a nurse on a fast heavy floor. He said besides my normal post op fatigue the inflammation inside me uses a lot of my energy. He said give it time .
  • mfpdevotee
    Options
    sounds to me like the fatigue is good.. it means the body if busy focusing on healing the parts that need to heal. relax, rest up, sleep. this is your time to take care of yourself.. let the nurses take care of you this time!!! ;)
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Jessicadmx wrote: »
    Thanks. I have just been trying to rest as much as possible. My doctor extended my leave to 8 weeks since I am a nurse on a fast heavy floor. He said besides my normal post op fatigue the inflammation inside me uses a lot of my energy. He said give it time .

I'm also a nurse and I agree with the 8 weeks people don't realize the level of activity it takes to do our work. Also the stresses of the job won't allow you to heal as well either.

Randy RN
  • Jessicadmx
    Options
    I can't imagine going back to work at the 3 weeks ... I would die I think. Sometimes I go 10 hrs without a break. :(