I am still hungry! GGRRRR!

Options
So I'm back doing the primal thing and I'm not sure why I still feeling hungry after eating, what I think, is a reasonable amount. Breakfast of black coffee, half a grapefruit, handful of blue berries, two slices of bacon, an egg, I drive to base, workoutand head into work with a handful of pistachios. Lots of water consumption during this time period. Lunch is a HUGE baby romaine salad with sunflower seeds, mushrooms and lite greek dressing, macadamia nut crusted tilapia, steamed zucchini and brussel sprouts with lemon juice and cracked pepper. it is now 4pm and I woke up at 5am. Is this not enough? I am very ready for dinner. Any thoughts?

Replies

• lys617
    lys617 Posts: 51 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Try eating more protein and fat and honestly there are no rules to when you have to eat. If you are hungry eat, your body is telling you it's hungry. Listen to your body.
  • russ8780
    Options
    Yeah, my schedule is so different day to day that only breakfast is constant. MFP is telling me I need to consume 2300 calories to lose a pound a week (I do either cardio or strength training everyday which let's me eat more). Should I be using this as more of a guide or a doctrine?
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're eating enough fat! Try adding coconut oil, bacon, Olive oil, avocados, that sort of thing. The lite Greek dressing sounds like bad news. "Lite" dressings often have added sugar for flavor, and any oil they use is probably not healthy oil.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Yes, and I concur with more protein needed, too. Also cut back on carbs at breakfast. Two fruit servings is likely too much. Fat will keep you satiated, protein will help keep you going, especially if you are physically active. Also, if you're just starting out again, you may be burning carbs rather than fat. You may go thru a bout of carb flu before your body starts remembering how to burn fat for fuel.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Oh! And black coffee can rev up your metabolism so that you burn thru your fuel faster and feel hungry, or even weak and shaky. Bulletproof coffee is a better choice.
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said.

I make my own salad dressings. Olive oil and vinegar for an easy one. The rest get more difficult.

Throw in some meat. Get some grass fed cow or lamb. Really try and hit your protein goals. Then add on fat from there. Hell, eat a tablespoon of coconut oil with breakfast. Or don't count but just eat, and depending on what your workout is you might need more.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    it really depends on if you are hungry then you should eat. If you are doing strength training or heavy cardio then it is always recommended that you get some extra carbs in you to help restore your muscle tissue. If you under eat too much you can damage your muscles and run into fatigue due to your body eating its own tissue to feed itself. I do not count the calories I just go by the if you are hungry eat good food, eat darker veggies because with the exception Cauliflower they are the most nutrient dense and will provide you with what your body needs, supplement with item containing good fats Avocado, Olives, fatty cuts of meat and eggs (I eat 3 to 4 a day), I make my own green salsa every few weeks and drown my eggs in them to get me the fiber and the nutrients to go along with the protein. I am seldom hungry but if I am and dinner or lunch is a ways off I will grab a handful of nuts like Macadamias or walnuts they have fat and nutrients in them.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say you can stand to eat more, especially at breakfast! I would definitely be hungry on that! I eat 4 slices of bacon, and 3 eggs cooked in coconut oil for a bacon and egg breakfast. If you save the fruit for after your workout it will be absorbed into the muscles better and not cause as much hunger, and try doing one serving at a time. I love fish but I tend to eat it later on because it is so low calorie and fat that it will leave you hungry sooner. What about substituting something heartier and fattier like hamburgers, turkey burgers, pork, steak, roast beef, etc? I also say lose any commercial dressings. They are bad news, even organic ones are made of soybean or canola oil and a bunch of other things we don't want. When I got up at 5am, I definitely was ready for dinner at 4pm, and the longer you are up the more you may need a snack again. Hope that helps!
  • MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yep more fat and protein. I eat avocados raw with salt and pepper, if you like sardines those are awesome and pack a good punch of protein and good fats. I like a sardine can and a banana after my workouts. I only eat one serving of fruit during a meal. Also use coconut, olive, avocado oils for all your cooking or good grass fed butter.

Man I gotta try that Bulletproof coffee I see everyone talking about!

• belle10317
    belle10317 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I have to eat SO much more protein than that! 3 eggs at breakfast and 6 ounces of chicken or steak or whatever for both lunch or dinner.
  • russ8780
    Options
    I don't think you're eating enough fat! Try adding coconut oil, bacon, Olive oil, avocados, that sort of thing. The lite Greek dressing sounds like bad news. "Lite" dressings often have added sugar for flavor, and any oil they use is probably not healthy oil.
    It says it's olive oil. Pretty much olive oil, vinegar of some sort, water, spices, salt, and xanthum gum if I recall correctly.
  • russ8780
    Options
    Yes, and I concur with more protein needed, too. Also cut back on carbs at breakfast. Two fruit servings is likely too much. Fat will keep you satiated, protein will help keep you going, especially if you are physically active. Also, if you're just starting out again, you may be burning carbs rather than fat. You may go thru a bout of carb flu before your body starts remembering how to burn fat for fuel.

Is the carb flu accompanied by lots of trips to the bathroom.....? (lol, sorry for too much information)
  • russ8780
    Options
    punchgut wrote: »
    What everyone else said.

I make my own salad dressings. Olive oil and vinegar for an easy one. The rest get more difficult.

Throw in some meat. Get some grass fed cow or lamb. Really try and hit your protein goals. Then add on fat from there. Hell, eat a tablespoon of coconut oil with breakfast. Or don't count but just eat, and depending on what your workout is you might need more.

yeah, I've been snoopin on your diary and picked up a few things. what is kefir?
  • russ8780
    Options
    it really depends on if you are hungry then you should eat. If you are doing strength training or heavy cardio then it is always recommended that you get some extra carbs in you to help restore your muscle tissue. If you under eat too much you can damage your muscles and run into fatigue due to your body eating its own tissue to feed itself. I do not count the calories I just go by the if you are hungry eat good food, eat darker veggies because with the exception Cauliflower they are the most nutrient dense and will provide you with what your body needs, supplement with item containing good fats Avocado, Olives, fatty cuts of meat and eggs (I eat 3 to 4 a day), I make my own green salsa every few weeks and drown my eggs in them to get me the fiber and the nutrients to go along with the protein. I am seldom hungry but if I am and dinner or lunch is a ways off I will grab a handful of nuts like Macadamias or walnuts they have fat and nutrients in them.

salsa sounds like a good idea. Is your recipe something like tomatoes, red onion, lime juice, cilatnro, serrano chile, salt to taste?
  • russ8780
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    I would definitely say you can stand to eat more, especially at breakfast! I would definitely be hungry on that! I eat 4 slices of bacon, and 3 eggs cooked in coconut oil for a bacon and egg breakfast. If you save the fruit for after your workout it will be absorbed into the muscles better and not cause as much hunger, and try doing one serving at a time. I love fish but I tend to eat it later on because it is so low calorie and fat that it will leave you hungry sooner. What about substituting something heartier and fattier like hamburgers, turkey burgers, pork, steak, roast beef, etc? I also say lose any commercial dressings. They are bad news, even organic ones are made of soybean or canola oil and a bunch of other things we don't want. When I got up at 5am, I definitely was ready for dinner at 4pm, and the longer you are up the more you may need a snack again. Hope that helps!

Thanks Cindy. Thank you to all who have taken a moment out of their day to help me.
  • russ8780
    Options
    MiRatlhed wrote: »
    Yep more fat and protein. I eat avocados raw with salt and pepper, if you like sardines those are awesome and pack a good punch of protein and good fats. I like a sardine can and a banana after my workouts. I only eat one serving of fruit during a meal. Also use coconut, olive, avocado oils for all your cooking or good grass fed butter.

Man I gotta try that Bulletproof coffee I see everyone talking about!

Guhh. I have never been huge on packaged fish. Sadines, tuna, salmon, mackerel, herring.... I would love to get over it just for health's sake. I'll make an effort to try again. What does your ol' lady think about the breath afterwards?
  • russ8780
    Options
    belle10317 wrote: »
    Oh my gosh I have to eat SO much more protein than that! 3 eggs at breakfast and 6 ounces of chicken or steak or whatever for both lunch or dinner.

oh wow. Ok. and is this for weight maintenance or weight loss? Thank you again to all who responded. It's a true blessing to have support.
  • josephine_x
    josephine_x Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    One of the ingredients in your lite dressing is spices, just an idea but MSG is often called "spices" to hide it, that can make you hungry after you've eaten
  • russ8780
    Options
    One of the ingredients in your lite dressing is spices, just an idea but MSG is often called "spices" to hide it, that can make you hungry after you've eaten

yeah, that does sound a bit vague. It's like a a bag of beef jerky with the following Ingredients: food, food-like food, natural flavors. 2% or less of the following: more food. Consumer Allergy Warning: contains food. Processed in a facility where other food is made.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    russ8780 wrote: »

salsa sounds like a good idea. Is your recipe something like tomatoes, red onion, lime juice, cilatnro, serrano chile, salt to taste?