I am still hungry! GGRRRR!

Options
2»

Replies

• SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any kind of salsa will work I make a green salsa with tomatillas and serrano peppers a touch of apple cider vinegar and onion salt and pepper etc.
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    russ8780 wrote: »
    punchgut wrote: »
    What everyone else said.

I make my own salad dressings. Olive oil and vinegar for an easy one. The rest get more difficult.

Throw in some meat. Get some grass fed cow or lamb. Really try and hit your protein goals. Then add on fat from there. Hell, eat a tablespoon of coconut oil with breakfast. Or don't count but just eat, and depending on what your workout is you might need more.

yeah, I've been snoopin on your diary and picked up a few things. what is kefir?

Hey russ8780 -- A couple of things: 1) When eating higher fat and lower carbohydrate, you will initially shed a lot of water weight, and go pee a lot. When you eat higher on the carbohydrate scale your body has to retain more water. It is tied up in the insulin response and how fat storage works. Long biochemical story. 2) Kefir is a fermented (usually) dairy product. You can purchase at most health stores or you can make your own by picking up kefir grains. If you can find an active WAPF group in your area they will usually have access to this and raw milk if you are doing dairy. Right now, I've switched to making my kefir out of coconut milk because I'm starting to limit my dairy intake. Kefir, unlike yogurt, is a super dose of probiotics. Yogurt might measure in the 100k units of bacteria, whereas a little bit of kefir will measure in the 100's of millions units of bacteria. Yogurt is one strain, kefir is 60-200 different strains. It is one of the best probiotic sources and only good source from dairy that can help reestablish a healthy gut microbiome. Other sources are fermented vegetables and finding farm fresh vegetables from a source you trust to eat without washing. If you can find or produce carrots yourself and eat them straight from the ground with a little dirt on them, that's a good thing; but be careful here. One farmer not using a good source of fertilizer (poop) can cause a lot of problems (listeria, e-coli, etc.).

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I concur with more protein needed, too. Also cut back on carbs at breakfast. Two fruit servings is likely too much. Fat will keep you satiated, protein will help keep you going, especially if you are physically active. Also, if you're just starting out again, you may be burning carbs rather than fat. You may go thru a bout of carb flu before your body starts remembering how to burn fat for fuel.

Is the carb flu accompanied by lots of trips to the bathroom.....? (lol, sorry for too much information)

To my understanding, (don't remember completely because it's been a long time), "carb flu" is something a lot of people go through when they cut out high-carb starches and sugars (grains, legumes, white potatoes for those of us on the autoimmune protocol, "gluten free" products that are high in carbs). You feel just awful. You can barely get out of bed, drag yourself through the day, even ache all over.

I think the explanation is that you're starving your body of the fuel it's used to running on (carbs), and it takes time for your body to switch over to burning fats instead. And then, suddenly, one day you wake up feeling refreshed and full of energy -- your body has made the switch.

I used to have to eat every two hours or I'd get woozy. That was when my body was burning carbs for fuel. You burn through carbs quickly -- they don't stay with you. Fat-adapted, I can eat and then be fine for more than 24 hours, though I don't make a practice of it. No light-headedness, not even hunger.
  • russ8780
    Options
    What everyone else said.

I make my own salad dressings. Olive oil and vinegar for an easy one. The rest get more difficult.

Throw in some meat. Get some grass fed cow or lamb. Really try and hit your protein goals. Then add on fat from there. Hell, eat a tablespoon of coconut oil with breakfast. Or don't count but just eat, and depending on what your workout is you might need more.

yeah, I've been snoopin on your diary and picked up a few things. what is kefir?

Hey russ8780 -- A couple of things: 1) When eating higher fat and lower carbohydrate, you will initially shed a lot of water weight, and go pee a lot. When you eat higher on the carbohydrate scale your body has to retain more water. It is tied up in the insulin response and how fat storage works. Long biochemical story. 2) Kefir is a fermented (usually) dairy product. You can purchase at most health stores or you can make your own by picking up kefir grains. If you can find an active WAPF group in your area they will usually have access to this and raw milk if you are doing dairy. Right now, I've switched to making my kefir out of coconut milk because I'm starting to limit my dairy intake. Kefir, unlike yogurt, is a super dose of probiotics. Yogurt might measure in the 100k units of bacteria, whereas a little bit of kefir will measure in the 100's of millions units of bacteria. Yogurt is one strain, kefir is 60-200 different strains. It is one of the best probiotic sources and only good source from dairy that can help reestablish a healthy gut microbiome. Other sources are fermented vegetables and finding farm fresh vegetables from a source you trust to eat without washing. If you can find or produce carrots yourself and eat them straight from the ground with a little dirt on them, that's a good thing; but be careful here. One farmer not using a good source of fertilizer (poop) can cause a lot of problems (listeria, e-coli, etc.).

Wow. I had never heard of kefir. Are kefir grains sort of on the bad list for primal/paleo (just because you call them "grains")? I know I could google all of this, but we do that too much these days. Also, have you met the goals you intended by going primal? And can you see my diary? I could use some tips. I try to barcode scan what I can, but most items are homemade. Thanks, Punch
    -Russ
  • russ8780
    Options
    Yes, and I concur with more protein needed, too. Also cut back on carbs at breakfast. Two fruit servings is likely too much. Fat will keep you satiated, protein will help keep you going, especially if you are physically active. Also, if you're just starting out again, you may be burning carbs rather than fat. You may go thru a bout of carb flu before your body starts remembering how to burn fat for fuel.

Is the carb flu accompanied by lots of trips to the bathroom.....? (lol, sorry for too much information)

To my understanding, (don't remember completely because it's been a long time), "carb flu" is something a lot of people go through when they cut out high-carb starches and sugars (grains, legumes, white potatoes for those of us on the autoimmune protocol, "gluten free" products that are high in carbs). You feel just awful. You can barely get out of bed, drag yourself through the day, even ache all over.

I think the explanation is that you're starving your body of the fuel it's used to running on (carbs), and it takes time for your body to switch over to burning fats instead. And then, suddenly, one day you wake up feeling refreshed and full of energy -- your body has made the switch.

I used to have to eat every two hours or I'd get woozy. That was when my body was burning carbs for fuel. You burn through carbs quickly -- they don't stay with you. Fat-adapted, I can eat and then be fine for more than 24 hours, though I don't make a practice of it. No light-headedness, not even hunger.

I did not know about this and did not experience it at all. I feel for those who are so dependent on carbs that they withdrawal. I have become quite regular though (not sure why they call it that because this is an abnormal number of bathroom breaks). I'm wondering if it is the massive amounts of veggies sort of eroding at the build up lining my GI.
    I also feel a bit woozy if I don't have something to nibble on every few hours or so. When I get up in the morning I am famished!!! The first thing I do is turn on the skillet and cook a couple eggs. I moved the fruit to after my workouts as well. I forget who recommended this, but i'm giving it a try. Thanks, homesweeths
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Because of our dairy allergies, we make water kefir. The "grains" look a little like grains of rice, but there's no grain involved, it's all looks. The grains are actually symbiotes of yeast and bacteria that work together to digest sugar and minerals and give off probiotics, vitamins, and carbonation (and a little alcohol). Pretty cool. Start with sugar water and kefir grains, and a day or two later nearly all the sugar is gone and you have this incredible probiotic fizzy drink.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    More fat. Skip the "lite" products. That's a pretty small breakfast too. More eggs and bacon. Listen to your body, which is easy to do if you are eating healthy foods and not too much sugar/carbs. Eat what your body needs, not the tiny portions that you learned were "enough" in the past.

If you are NEEDING to eat so frequently you might benefit from a lower carb/sugar lifestyle as already mentioned.
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Wow. I had never heard of kefir. Are kefir grains sort of on the bad list for primal/paleo (just because you call them "grains")? I know I could google all of this, but we do that too much these days. Also, have you met the goals you intended by going primal? And can you see my diary? I could use some tips. I try to barcode scan what I can, but most items are homemade. Thanks, Punch
    -Russ[/quote]

Russ-

Kefir is high on the approved list of primal/paleo. In the primal world, if you're going to consume dairy make it grass fed raw dairy with a preference for fermented dairy. The term "grains" when talking about kefir grains has to do with their appearance. They contain no grass seeds or the like. Kefir grains look similar to cottage cheese or the tops of cauliflower, but they are a collection of symbiotic bacteria and yeast inside a protective polysaccharide shell. When I make dairy kefir that is fully thumbs up primal, and the coconut kefir would be fully acceptable in the paleo world. Even the paleo world is warming up to fermented dairy, if you can tolerate dairy, due to the many health benefits.

I'll try to fit in your diary soon.

• MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Guhh. I have never been huge on packaged fish. Sadines, tuna, salmon, mackerel, herring.... I would love to get over it just for health's sake. I'll make an effort to try again. What does your ol' lady think about the breath afterwards?

Oh trust me I brush before bedtime........haha