valmaebel
valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
glfr4ax5wod1.jpg

Replies

• valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone!

Sherry - What is African dust? It sounds ominous! Here in Phoenix we do get a smog like atmosphere from all the dust that gets trapped. We're surrounded by mountains on all sides...making it a sort of huge valley that traps things. We need rain as well to clear it up.

April - Swimming always makes me sooooooo hungry. I've heard that part of it is because your body expends quite a bit of energy to keep warm in the water. But whatever the reason I am rafenous afterwards.

Today is my first day back to training! I'm super excited! I have all my swim stuff packed up and ready to go, I'm gonna drop kids off at school and then head to the pool. This evening, after ai get the kids in bed I'm going to get in an easy bike ride. Starting slow...only 20-30 minutes on each. But I am sooooooooooo excited to get started!
    Yesterday was a treat day. We had a ton of people over for the super bowl and I just spent the day enjoying myself with friends and family and not worrying about calories. It was nice. I'm excited to get back into an excercise routine because my eating always seems to improve as well....naturally. :)

Have a great day everyone!
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Lol, well African dust is dust from Africa! Lol! It's Saharan dust that the winds bring and it sometimes makes the whole atmosphere red, but this time it was white-ish instead of red. Athens is also a bowl, well semi-bowl with the sea on one side, so smog is a big problem at certain times of year. The dust has now coated everything and if it even spits rain it becomes very slippery to walk. Hoping for a downpour to wash it away.

Well, YAY val for starting up again! You're going to have a great year!

Today I ran down to the coast a slightly more direct route and back, from son's tutor. The water was gorgeous turquoise and the sea was rough, as the sky was cloudy and gray and I could see streaks of rain on an island out in the bay. Eventually the blue skies from the Southeast won out and drove away the clouds and I had sun on my back on the way home. :-) it was a very nice run, only amout 1.5 hour.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a beautiful run, Sherry.
    Glad that you're feeling better and ready to start training, Val.
    Laura, you're doing great!
    Glad things are coming together for you, too, April.
    And sounds like you're doing okay, too, Jen.

I was all over last week, doing well, doing not so well, doing well again, and a not very good Sunday at all.

I decided that I need to commit myself to a goal and just get back to where I need to be. So I spent the money and entered the King Crab Challenge. First goal of the challenge is to run a half marathon on May 3rd, 13 weeks from now. So tonight is a 3 mile run and a kettleball class.
  • jenmck5
    jenmck5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    No school today. Received about 10 inches of snow Sunday. Worked out doing weighted tabata. My arms are going to be sore tomorrow. I was pretty proud last week. The Army National Guard came to our high school and set up a circuit. Kids convinced me to take them down last period to check it out. I'm always telling them to pay attention in math class because its for them and not me - because it doesn't give me 6 pack abs - so they thought it would be funny to work out during last period. I borrowed a pair of shorts and t-shirt and did the circuit too. My knees wouldn't let me do the tuck jumps but I felt pretty good. One of the Army instructors said that I was the first classroom teachers to have done the circuit and told someone else I did a pretty good. I know I had more stick with it then some of the kids.

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm so far behind - I need to go back the past few days and look at what everybody has been up to.

Val - how did your swim go? Has it been crazy in your part of Phoenix because of the Super Bowl & the Phoenix Open? One of my other MFP friends has been complaining about all the extra congestion.

Sherry there is no "only" that belongs before a 1.5 hour run. Seriously! That's awesome.

Donna I'm right there with you as far as being inconsistent getting back on track. What else is involved in the King Crab Challenge that the first goal is a half marathon? Sounds intense!

Proud of you Jen for getting in there & doing the Army circuit! What a great example you set for the kids.

I was busy this weekend, but got my workouts in. Long day at work today (productive but tedious projects), then did my run (W5D3 of C25K) and got in an extra long workout with Jason (45 instead of our usual 30) because his client before me didn't show up. She's one of his regulars and he said he hadn't heard from her, so I hope she's okay. It was kind of a tedious workout too. So short version: today was tedious. LOL. But I'm officially in week 1 of marathon training. Jason was asking me if I was nervous. I'm not. Maybe I should be?