Forced to go VEGAN I need help now...(also gluten, soy, nuts, seeds, are OFF LIMITS).

Options
I need serious help, please please help me. I am 46 years old and I went into anaphylaxis at a Christmas party, after many tests it was found that I'm pretty much allergic to almost everything. I know I can't be alone. bananas, peaches, strawberries are off limits, as are mushrooms, corn, green beans, green peas, onions, garlic, and tomato. no oats, or rye. I CAN have rice Yaaa. pepper, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, sesame seed, yeast, chocolate, and vanilla!
The last 2 are killing me!!LOL.

Needless to say, I'm overwhelmed, I've been crying all day trying to figure out what I can eat!! I'm trying to just get a handle right now.

Just some simple every day foods to get me started, I DID get 15 library books for vegetarians and vegans but they contain soy, or mushrooms or something I cant have so I'm Looking for SUBSTITUTES.

What can I use in place of spices? mushrooms, soy? please help... Lisa

Replies

• ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ikes! I feel for you.

Let's start with what CAN you have and build from there. What foods are safe? Do I understand rice is safe? Can you have any legumes, or are all beans off limits? Protein may be a challenge from what I can see from your post.

Deep breaths, deep breaths.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    And if you have that many restrictions, you may need to work with a dietician.
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Things you can have??
    milk like: coconut milk/cream/oil/flour? rice milk? Depending on where you live there may be some amazing places to get soy-free substitutes. If you're in the US look to Trader Joes or Fred Myers. They may have coconut yogurt. I know it's a thing, but it can be very hard to find depending on your location. Theglutenfreegoddess uses a lot of coconut flour (and almond flour) but her website is amazing and she does have a few vegan recipes. They also do make corn free/soy free gluten free flours. If you can't find them locally, amazon is a magical place.

Egg like: I don't know how new you are to Vegan and gluten-free, but egg free and gluten free sucks. I've been there. Can you eat flax seed or apple sauce? You can often add them in baked instead of eggs. There is also a glutenfree no egg powder I use a bit, but I think it has corn in it- so look carefully. Is it all egg or can you have egg white? Because a lot can be done with egg whites. Gelatine? I don't know how Vegan you have to go, but I've used plain gelatin in the past instead of eggs to pretty good results in a lot of recipes.

Spices: Salt, Basil (seriously so much can be done with it), oregano, cumin, coriander, mint, cayenne pepper, thyme, sage, bay leaves, paprika, mustard, wasabi.

Grains/proteins: Wild rice, buckwheat, chick peas, black beans, broad beans, kidneybeans, lentils?

Chocolate substitute: carob? It's not the same, but almost can be helpful for moods.

Breakfast: hot-rice porrage w/ fruit, fry up with kale, zucchini, and beans. Cold- "yogurt" (coconut) and fruit; fruit with coconut flakes, smoothies

Lunch/dinner: vegetable soups (make your own broth as all broths have onion/garlic; basically add veggies into a crockpot and use the liquid. Or you can use water/ pureed cauliflower or potato). Sushi (double check the seaweed is soy free because I'm not sure). Roasted/stuffed eggplant. felafels (again make your own because store bought likely will have sesame seeds, onion, and garlic).

Dessert: coconut cream milk shakes- place a can on the top shelf of your refrigerator for 24 hours. Mix with your favorite veggies (spinach, kale are my go to), and fruit (apple, mango, pinapple). Also could add carob to this and blend.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I've problems with gluten,soy & Sulfites.. so I feel you& its taken a good while to know all the hidden name's etcetera.. Add me if you'd like,my log is open to friends,and I'm plant based
  • RebelQueen4
    Options
    I'm so greatful to get some responses. I've got some coconut milk and some rice milk. I can't have nuts or seeds. I've been spending a lot of time on the internet and I have come up with some meals to get me started. I've seen and will continue to see a nutritionist, I'm using MFP to keep track of my macros and so far I've met my nutrition needs. Thanks SOOO much for all the advice, and I will definitely be stopping in to babynew's log. reading your responses was so heartfelt. Duckykissy I have dried your coconut cream milk shake with kale and mango, YUMMMM! I have had it twice now!! LOL.
  • RebelQueen4
    Options
    I love stuffed Grape leaves, OMG!! Why did I not know about these little packets of heavenly tastiness. Yum! seriously, so good!!
  • ob1baloo
    ob1baloo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Duckykissy is right I am wheat, dairy, and egg free it does suck. Most gluten free Has dairy or egg you really need to watch your labels and know what is in your food. And gluten is in everything that comes in a box bottle or can. If it's not a natural food it probably has gluten.
    Good luck with the new lifestyle.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    So are you Vegan by choice? Can you eat meat or you choose not to?
  • florecita453
    florecita453 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It does seem overwhelming but once you find recipes that work for you, you can start to tweak them to your liking and nutritional needs and you'll be just fine.
    I am in a diet limited of carbs and at first I thought I was gonna die without bread. But I have found that if I add lots of veggies to my diet, I don't really miss the grains.
    I second the question about meat. Are you allergic to meat? Why can't you have meat?
    If you must substitute meat, you can make dishes in which veggies are the main ingredient. Cauliflower, broccoli, eggplant, beans, squash, pumpkin, potatoes. The fact that you can eat rice is a huge plus. Rice goes with just about anything. Try Asian food recipes, South American, and tweak them when they ask for an ingredient that you can't have for something you can have and can be a good substitute.
    For example I can't have flour, so I found a soup recipe that is supposed to have flour as a thickener. I found out that some thicken their soups with bulgur for lower carb meals. I haven't tried it yet but I sure will because flour is off limits.