Need to lower my carb grams in general. Any favorite recipes for sides with the protein and fat?

Options
yturie47
yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
My weight loss has kind of stalled this year and I want to lower my carbohydrate grams to see if this helps. Any favorite recipes for sides to eat with the protein and fats?

Replies

• cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Veggies!
    My favorite way to cook them - roasted! Asparagus, broccoli, carrots, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, zucchini.
    Season them. S/P, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, etc. Drizzle olive oil. Cook on high - 415 or so for about 20 minutes. Maybe a few minutes longer. Stir/mix 1/2 way through. SOOO good!
    - For the cauli - I use paprika and cook about 30+ mins. Dunk the smaller pieces in a little bit of ketchup, it tastes like fries! Yum!
    - For the zucchini, I make zucchini coins - seasoning + almond flour. Turn 1/2 way through. Helps if you need a cruncher texture or need to feel like you are eating something 'fried'. Cook those on 375 for ~25-30mins total.
    - spaghetti squash is a good alternative for spaghetti / pasta. I make a yummy shrimp alfredo or shrimp with garlic sauce with it.
    - cauliflower bake - it's has all of the flavors as twice baked potatoes!
    - zucchini boats - cut in 1/2 lengthwise, remove the 'middle' and replace with whatever - hamburger with sour cream, cheese, tomatoes, etc. or just use the 'middle' / seed & chop and add the other stuff and bake - exceptional!

Do you have a Pinterest account? If so, you can find tons of things on there. I'm from the South, so we love casseroles...I found a squash casserole - squash, onion, sour cream, & cheese...it's delish!!!

This turned out to be a much longer post. Hope I didn't overshare!
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    wonderful ideas, thank you so much. I will check out pinterest tomorrow. Also hit the produce section at Kroger! :smile:
  • ob1baloo
    ob1baloo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love roasted veggies too. You got some great ideas for spicing.

Another way to cut down on the carbs and enjoy a favourite is put cauliflower in to cook with your potatoes and mash the two together.
  • florecita453
    florecita453 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that when it comes to weight loss, what matters the most is calories.
    It isn't really the food, but number of calories that help you lose weight.
    For me personally given my weight, height, and how active I am, I should eat no more than 1290 calories a day.
    Some days I spend those calories eating cheese and meat. But most days I eat veggies, salads, low calorie food that I make at home to make sure it's made healthy.
    Another thing is exercise. If you have reached a plateau in weight loss, you might have to work out more often or more time in each workout and try not to eat those calories you burn in your workouts. Basically up your game a little to keep up losing weight. Easier said than done, I know first hand, but it's worth a shot, good luck!
  • caitlinrose108
    Options
    Califlower Rice! It's simple, and an amazing way to force more veggies into your diet when craving rice
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    stewd zucchini, onion, tomato ... add some bell pepper if you like.
    All I do is cut up a zucchini into half moons about 1/2" thick, dice enough onion to make about 1/4 cup, and measure out 1/2 cup of canned stewed tomatoes (lower sodium if possible) ... and microwave it for about 5-8 minutes depending on your microwave. You can also cook on top of the stove for about 20 minutes.

Today, I added a 4-ounce piece of frozen wild caught Cod fish to it and it was a wonderful fish stew for lunch ... and low in calorie also. I also added 1 tsp of olive oil to add some fat to the meal. It was well balance macro's wise with healthy carbs, proteins, fats ... for 312 calories.

Tip ... when cooking it in the microwave, I use a bowl wide enough to hold the fish fillet and put a cover on it of a turned over sandwich plate so it steams.
  • maryaalhindi
    maryaalhindi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a salmon fillet with broccoli and asparagus on the side! Salmon is great for protein and healthy fat☺️
  • fraserkr
    fraserkr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    all great ideas. Glad I found this thread!
  • fraserkr
    fraserkr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    ... Another thing is exercise. If you have reached a plateau in weight loss, you might have to work out more often or more time in each workout and try not to eat those calories you burn in your workouts ...
    Options
    I do all of those! I had the zucchini boats 2 days in a row, both lunch and dinner. lol I fried up some lean ground turkey with garlic and onion and put it into a freezer baggie. Then I get out a handful to put in with the meat of the zucchini and top with low fat cheese, microwave the broil the top to make it bubbly and brown. :) I also eat veggies for a day or two, then switch to meat cheeses nuts and yogurt another day, then back to veggies.
  • niskmom
    niskmom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Stalled here too, but going to work on adding more veggies in my diet. I workout regularly, it's the nighttime eating... My goal for the week. Make a food plan and stick to it. I saw a picture of buffalo sauce on cauliflower. Has anyone tried that, or know what I'm talking about?
  • beachbum4044
    beachbum4044 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I found twice baked cauliflower on pintrest, it was so good. I am not a hug veggie person so I have been sneaking them in where I can and hiding them from my family. I ground up carrots and put it into taco meat for my family. They get tacos with shells, but I use a piece of lettuce for the shell and fill it up with goodies. Onions, green peppers, sometimes even mushrooms get chopped up really fine and stashed into foods. Zucchini is easily put into any food. It gets them and me eating things that are good for us.