Newbie needs help...am I sedentary or lightly active??

Options
I keep playing with my numbers on Scooby accurate calorie calculator and can't figure out what category I fit into. I am 41 year old female, 65 inches tall, weight 179. I have a desk job, pretty much sit most of the day besides getting up occasionally to wait on a customer. I do no real exercise..I clean house some, cook, take kids shopping, grocery shop. Am I sedentary???

Replies

• 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hey! Most people fall into the moderate category if they do at least some exercise. If you aren't doing any at all...then you may be "desk job" or 1-3 hours (if you at least exercise once or twice per week).

We always suggest starting higher because you can always decrease, but most of us tend to (by nature of our dieting past) tend to underestimate our activity levels rather than overestimate. So you may want to take an average of the two levels that you feel you fall between.

~Kiki
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So true, there are infinite levels, not just 5.

5 was merely done for convenience sake, it was actually a formula where you'd plug in hours of exercise and get results based on that. But a table was easier to use with rough values.

Pick a TDEE right in between, x 0.85 for 15% off. Eat that.