What's your favourite protein shake?

Options
I'm specifically looking for a brown rice, pea or hemp protein powder that isn't super gritty and thick and would work for sipping slowly. I am allergic to a whey, soy, nuts, wheat, carrots, bananas, MSG, and caffeine. I've contacted about a dozen different protein powder companies and asked for samples, 3 or 4 are sending me free samples, so will update when I receive them and tell you what I think...

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have tried this company's whey protein and I thought it was really good, they also have a vegan powder made with peas, pumpkin and brown rice.

http://tryabouttime.com/shop/2lb-natural-vegan-protein/

I haven't tried this one, but if the others are good, this might be.
  • jennifertrimblemartinez
    Options
    I love the Vanilla flavor premier protein shakes. I like to blend them with frozen no sugar added strawberries. Its quite yummy! and I get 30 gms of protein
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress Chocolate
  • TN_Tinker
    TN_Tinker Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Whey strawberry protein shake
  • IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously thinking of skipping the whole protein shake thing and going with 0% plain greek yogourt! It has just as much protein, I don't have to order it online, and it's delicious with a bit of fresh or frozen fruit...
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously thinking of skipping the whole protein shake thing and going with 0% plain greek yogourt! It has just as much protein, I don't have to order it online, and it's delicious with a bit of fresh or frozen fruit...

It's all about the protein if you can get what you need from food by all means do so.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I've heard Isopure is good and Unjury also has high protein. I'm going to begin trying different ones this week.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

I am not sure what stage you are at or what procedure you have had or are going to have, but I know I was not allowed to have yogurt for over a month after my RNY, so protein shakes were a necessity.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Isopure Zero is a protein water that counts for water as well. Each bottle has about 40 grams of protein. What I can't tell you, and I'm sorry, is what kind of protein it is. Since it's water I'm assuming it's not the typical milk, soy or Whey based protein. Good luck.
  • madmags
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    Isopure Zero is a protein water that counts for water as well. Each bottle has about 40 grams of protein. What I can't tell you, and I'm sorry, is what kind of protein it is. Since it's water I'm assuming it's not the typical milk, soy or Whey based protein. Good luck.

This is a whey based protein. It is amazing what they can do and being able to make it clear.
  • mfpdevotee
    Options
    i could not drink the isopure protein water.... to me it had a gasoline/oil/metalic aftertaste!!!!
  • Jamielynn_77
    Jamielynn_77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am huge fan of Chike! They have different flavors, as well as a cappuccino one, which is amazing! :yum: You can get a sampler pack for like $13, that has 6 flavors, and I have yet to have one that I dislike! And I am full for a long time. :heart: Love it!
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I buy Pure Protein pack of 4 (11oz. bottles from Walmart) it has 23g protein/1g sugar/120 cal/8g carbs. I love the chocolate flavor.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I am huge fan of Chike! They have different flavors, as well as a cappuccino one, which is amazing! :yum: You can get a sampler pack for like $13, that has 6 flavors, and I have yet to have one that I dislike! And I am full for a long time. :heart: Love it!

So now I'm curious. I was told no caffeine. Chike is made with real espresso beans from what I've read. Can you have caffeine after surgery?
  • Jamielynn_77
    Jamielynn_77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    RENAEJAE wrote: »

So now I'm curious. I was told no caffeine. Chike is made with real espresso beans from what I've read. Can you have caffeine after surgery?

I don't have a lot, hardly any at all actually. But I find that there isn't much in this, and I only have it on occasion, I don't make it a regular part of my diet.
  • madmags
    Options
    Different surgeons have different recommendations on caffeine.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    RENAEJAE wrote: »

I decaffinated myself prior to surgery because I had to. My surgeon told me about 6 months out, because I asked, that I could have "real" coffee if I had to but he would prefer me not. I do not like the taste of decaf, so I went back to the real stuff. Truth is I am addicted. The only difference for me post op is that I can't drink it black anymore. It bothers my stomach. I work the creamer into my day, but I do have to limit my coffee or I won't get my water in.

Some surgeons say no coffee ever again, so check with yours.

• lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    [I decaffinated myself prior to surgery because I had to. My surgeon told me about 6 months out, because I asked, that I could have "real" coffee if I had to but he would prefer me not. I do not like the taste of decaf, so I went back to the real stuff. Truth is I am addicted. The only difference for me post op is that I can't drink it black anymore. It bothers my stomach. I work the creamer into my day, but I do have to limit my coffee or I won't get my water in.
    Some surgeons say no coffee ever again, so check with yours.

I'm with you on the coffee! I am in a relationship with my coffee.... ROFL! I am drinking a decaf hazelnut coffee now because I was instructed to do so during this 2 week Pre-Op, and was told I would need to continue decaf for about 4-6 weeks after. I cannot wait for my decaf sentence to be up!

Sorry I got sidetracked form the original question posted.. Coffee leads me astray every time.. :p
  • madmags
    Options
    I was also a caffeine addict. I used to drink upwards of 2 liters of diet pepsi a day for years. I gave it up cold turkey the week before my surgery. That means I havent had a touch of caffeine for 12 weeks and I feel great. I have found that now that I cut it out, I dont want to reintroduce any amount back in, with the concern I will fall back into my old ways.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    mfpdevotee wrote: »
    i could not drink the isopure protein water.... to me it had a gasoline/oil/metalic aftertaste!!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the isopure protein waters were terrible. I tried 3 different flavors and they made me want to gag.