What diet are you following?

Options
Dieting is so confusing! One book says one thing, another book is completely different!
I have eliminated my " trigger " foods. Bread, pasta, rice, and tortillas. And cereal. Some people may be able to eat the recommended portion, I cannot.

I have a diabetic diet plan on my fridge, I am not diabetic, but it seems pretty flexible and easy to use. 1/2 plate vegetables, 1/4 plate starch, 1/4 plate protein. Limit carbs to 15 grams a meal.

Replies

• c_leeee
    c_leeee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'm not dieting. I can't stand the thought of being told "you canot eat the thing" because then all I want to do is eat the thing. I just focus everyday on making choices that are more nutritionally valuable to me than what I was doing before. Sometimes I drink wine, but I measure it out exactly and log accordingly. I try to look at food as logical as possible and ask myself these three things, "does it fuel me?" "is it nutritious?" "is it worth spending more time working out to burn that off?"
    Sometimes I eat pizza and I know that it will probably take an entire hour on the elliptical to work that bad boy off, and sometimes that's worth it. When I don't think it's worth it I eat a salad instead.
    When I have a meal I always eat my vegetables first, and I always try to drink water before I eat anything.
    I truly believe that "diets" are set up for failure, but life changes are more sustainable...
  • bronzeambition
    bronzeambition Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I refuse to cut out any foods, because personally, I don't think it's a sustainable way of eating. Instead, I'm learning how to make better choices, fit foods into my life (instead of the other way around), and have self-control. For example, I use extra lean ground turkey or shredded chicken for tacos instead of ground beef. I know that if I completely deprive myself of something that it'll backfire and I'll probably binge. Try out a few different plans and see what works for you :)
  • Rachelerik
    Rachelerik Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I try to eat reasonably balanced meals and snacks. When I indulge in something that exceeds my calorie limits, I try to adjust with more exercise or less of something food wise. I never say I can't have something just because I'm calorie conscious... I just have a small amount of it; usually a few bites of something sweet is really enough. It drives me nuts to have anyone (well meaning family) bring out enough dessert dishes for everyone, except me, and say they know I can't have it so they won't tempt me.
  • socialone74
    socialone74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    No diet - diets are evil and unrealistic for me...
    What I have done and do my best to stick to:
    - No Soda period (bad for you)
    - Limit alcohol to 1-2 drinks a week
    - Some type of exercise a day (walking counts)
    - 50 Crunches (min -- 100 max), 25 push-ups and planks every night
    I do not want loose skin and this will help with that
    - Reduce unrefined Carbs (white bread is not good for you)
    - Eat the rainbow (not skittles lol) as often as possible
    - Love myself regardless of my size and realize I am awesome at a size 20 or a size 10 (goal)
  • jillshadow
    jillshadow Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am on an extremely low carb diet. My doctor wants me on less than 10g carb per meal diet, as I am diabetic. It still almost isn't doable even just eating vegetables with dressing and lean meats. And it is not a diet for me, I have to live this way. Although I suspect my doctor is telling me this low of carbs because previously my blood sugar readings had been really high. I don't know if she will switch me once I prove to her I got them down.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Wow Jill, that is really low! Kudos to you!
  • betsysjl
    betsysjl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am on a medically supervised diet. 1000 cal/day LCD. I do protein shakes every 2 - 2 1/2 hrs, with a protein bar for breakfast and lunch. I make my own dinner, but it can only be very lean protein (4 oz) or lean proteins (3 oz), 2 cups veggies, and I have the option of a small amount of fat. It is very restrictive, and I wouldn't do it with a doctor's supervision; but over the last year I've gained 60 lbs after staying the same weight for 10 years. I am only on this restrictive of a diet until I lose 30 lbs. (down 8.5 lbs so far).
  • jillshadow
    jillshadow Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Wow Jill, that is really low! Kudos to you!

Still getting used to it. I've had a couple mild hypoglycemic episodes and am still feeling lightheaded, but I know it is just my body getting used to it. I used to inhale carbs like a hoover vacuum inhales dirt.

• abbyjane81
    abbyjane81 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just try to eat as naturally and less processed as possible.
    I just think to myself before I eat- will this benefit my body?
    Working on portion size now.

I had gestational diabetes with both of my kiddos and sticking to the following carbs kept me in control:
    Breakfast: 15 carbs
    Snack:15 carbs
    Lunch:30 carbs
    Snack: 15 carbs
    Dinner: 30-40 carbs
    Snack: 15 carbs

Working on what I know I can eat everyday and feel fulfilled yet nourished:)