Does this even work?!?! What are your results??

Options
MrsBailey149
MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
I'm trying this diet out- but with skepticism. How is it going for you? What is your height, weight, goal weight...what have you lost? how fast? Pictures are always nice :)

I'm 5'7.5'' and weight 185. I got down to 165, but gained back 20 this past year. I calorie count and workout regularly (most of the time), I struggle with food- chocolate primarily. My goal weight is 155, possible 149?

I just started the 5:2 diet and had my first semi-successful fast day yesterday.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Been doing this since August 2012, lost most of my weight by Christmas that year - slowly and steadily.
    Nibbled a few extra pounds off here and there in 2013 to get where I am now, 34lb loss. Lighter now in my 50's than I've been since my 20's.

I've maintained on a 5:2 pattern too but find 6:1 suits me perfectly to maintain - gives what feels a natural amount of calories 6 days a week.
    Adherence was far, far easier than any of the everyday calorie restrictions I've ever tried over the last 20 years. Fitting your low and high days around your lifestyle and social events is a big factor for me in making this an enjoyable way of eating rather than a chore.

The way it supports a very heavy exercise routine far better than a constant deficit was a real bonus.

On a fast day keep the thought "I can have that chocolate tomorrow" in your mind. It's a powerful weapon - deferring a treat rather than excluding a treat.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes it works....but not for everyone.

5'2, currently 136 pounds, hoping to get down to 130. Last year when I was 5-2ing more diligently I got down to 132 pounds, but it crept back up again over Christmas.

Aside from the weight loss, I enjoy the feeling that I get from fasting - it has helped me recognise hunger, control snacking, and reduce body fat.

It does need a positive mental approach, though.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hmmmm YESSSS!! For me at least! Only sustainable way for me to go.

I lost 29kg in one year. Hit a normal BMI for the first time in my life in January 2014.
    Pics show me in May 2013 compared to May 2014 and November 2014. I've been maintaining since May 2014 and am now attacking my last 3kg in 2015. BMI now 23-24 / 5'1 1/2''.
    Still fasting twice a week, but had higher cals on non fast days during my maintainance phase.

hsofvtzalqc4.jpg
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Wow Flumi!!! You look amazing!

As for me, I've only been doing it just under 2 months and it's slow, but I've lost 5 lbs. I've never been able to lose more than 1 -2 lbs without gaining back, so it's successful. I really think I will do better when I'm exercising more and making sure I don't go crazy on feast days!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Thanks, bburg86!

Slow is fine. I lost quickly at the beginning and it slowed the less I had to lose. Thus the long maintainance phase. I'm still getting to know this new person and I know without 5:2, I wouldn't have gotten to this point. And 5:2 is my tool to stay at a healthy weight for the rest of my life. Daily restriction was just never for me. Made me crazy.
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    flumi - that's an amazing transformation! other than the obvious change in size, you look so much happier in the second and third pic and are obviously enjoying dressing up!
    -
    so, welcome Mrs B and here's my story- i'm 5.10. was 205 a couple of years ago, and after a year of punishing dieting , got down to 160. crept back up to 176 ( took a year) and was so annoyed that I was squeezing into my lovely clothes. I wanted a radical shakeup to stop the slide back to obesity, so I started 5:2 almost four weeks ago. In that time I have lost 11lbs so am now down to 164. aiming for 155. Quite frankly, am gobsmacked at how effective this is, and do hope that I can be as dedicated long term as so many of you have been. When I hit my goal, I'll do 6:1. I love this website as it makes me accountable to so many inspiring people.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    My experience is pretty much the same as @sijomial, @melaniecheeks, @flumi_f, and @bburg86. Very consistent weight loss, easier to be on week to week because the 5 non-fast days have a higher calorie level than a traditional diet, and the fast days have actually changed my prospective on food. Not a quickie diet. I have lost 12lbs in about 6 months but there have been no frustrating plateaus (which have driven me mad on other eating plans). And I know that if I go on maintenance and start to gain weight, I can always through in a second fast day to return to my maintenance weight. Not a diet for everyone but those who fit this plan LOVE it.

If you haven't already, I recommend watching the Mosely documentary on 5:2 fasting. It will give you lots of good information on this plan. You will find a link to the documentary and other resources under the Announcements on the main 5:2 Fasting group page.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @flumi_f - you haven't just lost weight, you appear to have lost 20 years! Great work.
  • jknight001
    Options
    @flumi_f - you can really see the confidence increase between the first and last picture. Beautiful to see.
  • flumi_f
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks Sijomial - and I already looked younger than I am to begin with. What does that make me now...a teenie?? :p

Absolutely jknight001. The makeover in November was a revelation. I got made over inside and out ;-)

Now I wish you peops a beautiful rest of the week. I'm off to bed. Up early tomorrow and off to the mountains for a few days.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    In my 5th week and down 6 lbs I know that this will fluctuate for various reasons. But 5:2 works for me as on fast days I do not have to think about food at all untill the evening.
    6ft 5ins 110 kg on the 1/1/15 and now at 104.9, but that is after the first fast day of the week, it will go up, but the trend is down. I read the book and it made a lot of sense, without techno bable.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow marks my first fast day. My stat's are:
    Height 156cm
    Cw 80kgs
    Gw 50kgs
  • kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    5'7", 103kg to 83.6 over 18 months (including a 12 month plateau before I started logging.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @flumi_f -always love seeing your before and after...so inspiring!

I'm 5'3'' started MFP at 184lbs, started 5:2 in September 2014 at 176lbs
    I am currently at 166.8 (got my new batteries in my scale) so with 5:2 I've lost 9.2lbs and 17.2 total.

I do love 5:2 (flexible and attainable) I have experienced a plateau as well, but this is merely because of having too many calories on non-fasting days and a lack of exercise. But if I was not still fasting I would have gained weight back. I know I'll get myself back into gear soon. There are also a ton of other benefits to this WOE besides the weight loss, so I'll be sticking with it.

First pic is from before MFP...200lbs plus and the second is at 164lbs (my lowest before Christmas).

8nmgql4brsei.jpg
    nl5xtdy9gim1.jpg

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm 160 cm (5"3) and 56,4 kg (124 lbs). 5:2 broke my almost 1 year long plateau in September 2014. I lost about 15 kg (33 lbs) since then on a combo of 5:2, 16:8 leangains and LCHF. In active dieting weeks, I've lost about 1 kg a week (2.2 lbs). I'm now 3 kg away from original GW and basically recomping.

5:2 helped me stop bingeing as much. It also helped me realize that being hungry now and then is NOT something to be afraid of. IF'ing also kickstarted the slow process into healing my metabolism.

Give it a shot, if it doesn't work for you, no harm done. It's very flexible and it's not as psychologically taxing as a constant daily deficit calorie counting.

Make sure you get enough salt and water on fast days. Good luck :)

Edit: Oh, forgot to say that the fluctuations are naturally bigger on 5:2, so measure yourself. The scale is only one metric tool.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    How is it going for you? What is your height, weight, goal weight...what have you lost? how fast?

Going great! Foamroller and I are doing pretty similar routines (16:8 daily, 5:2 weekly, LCHF macros).

I'm 6', started at about 180lbs, cut to about 165 in a month and a half. Didn't have a weight goal, just wanted to cut some bodyfat and I'm about where I wanna be now. So switched to 6:1 weekly and recomping/carb cycling.

Before I started, I read the leangains site, a couple books,and watched the documentary and those convinced me it was a good idea to try. Also, a friend who's into drastic body mods and self-improvement was a big fan of Intermittent Fasting in general and I trust his judgement. Very glad I took it up. Hope it works out for you too.
  • MrsGraves1987
    MrsGraves1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 3 and currently weigh 161lbs. Using 5:2 last year by the summer, I got down to 151lbs which was my lowest, and my ultimate goal is 140. I put a LOT of weight on when we bought our first house (an investment job) so we spent our days working and evenings eating takeaways. I went right back up to 170lbs from September to January. We're now very settled and I'm able to cook (thank god!) so I'm very much back on it, with a 9lb loss in 5 weeks and on my 10th fast today. I would like to reach 150 by April, however recently I have found I have some sort of illness/condition which is yet to be diagnosed. This is causing me to continuously bloat, have various aches and pains in my lower abdomen and lower back - but is nothing to do with 5:2. I'm going for tests at the Doctors tomorrow. This WOL is the only thing that works for me, and helps my relationship with food. I would ideally like to reach goal by the end of the year, however I'm happy if it's slow - as long as it's going in the right direction.
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!

I like the idea of doing the 6:1 for maintenance.

I was afraid that doing the fasting would cause me to binge more, but it hasn't been the case so far. I seem to do well with the strict restriction on fast days and surprising stuck to about 2,000 calories the day after. (FYI..only been doing it for a few days...)I do plan on keeping track of calories on all days. I figure if I'm between 1600-2000 calories on non-fast days, I'm doing pretty decent.

Do you workout on fast days??

On Tuesday ( my last fast day), I surprisingly felt energized and did a 30 minute video.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I was afraid that doing the fasting would cause me to binge more, but it hasn't been the case so far.

Great!

Nothing substantial. I just go for a walk, which I do pretty much every day but no weights or sprinting or anything hard.

You might wanna check out the leangains info for exercise things. 5:2 is just a food protocol really and doesn't cover the fitness. Leangains is a different schedule of Intermittent Fasting but the info's focused more on frequent (daily, short) fast issues and exercising.
    Some people combine the two systems. Though it's probably best to start with one or the other and get it down before you think about messing with stuff like that.
  • jknight001
    Options
    I was afraid that doing the fasting would cause me to binge more, but it hasn't been the case so far.

I have found as I have been working this plan that I have moved in the opposite direction of binging. Especially after a FD, I find it hard to want to eat all of my TDEE calories. I do eat them so I don't become depleted and it is nice not to be controlled by food as much anymore.

I do work out on FDs. I am not a super athlete - just some cardio (no weights) on FDs. I haven't found the fasting keeps me from my normal routine.