What is your favorite healthy eating recipe?

Options
betsysjl
betsysjl Posts: 175 Member
One of my favorite healthy & fast meals is a tortilla with spinach, deli meat, cheese, and spinach. I just microwave it to melt the cheese and eat up.

Replies

• softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I love my Spiralizer! The zucchini "zoodles" taste just like pasta to me!

Recent recipe:
    Pho broth
    Zucchini noodles

heat until boiling. Add cilantro, green onions, lime.
  • betsysjl
    Options
    I love my Spiralizer! The zucchini "zoodles" taste just like pasta to me!

I was looking at the Spiralizer, it is easy to use? Do you like the zucchini noodles more than spaghetti squash?
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Spiralizer! It is very easy to use. I never really liked zucchini before, now I eat it raw every day. The long thin strands taste like pasta to me. I don't like the taste or texture of spaghetti squash. This is totally different. There are tons of recipes on Pintrest.
  • bronzeambition
    bronzeambition Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I really want to get a Spiralizer! Anyway, I make tacos a lot, so when I have leftovers, I like to make wonton tacos. I just put the grind turkey and a little bit of cheese in a wonton wrapper and bake them. When they're finished you can serve them with salsa. They're delicious! I also love making mini hot pockets using wonton wrappers and chicken, cheese, and broccoli. My other favorite meal is to make cauliflower rice with stir-fried veggies and baked egg rolls. Egg rolls are a lot easier to make than you may think and they crisp up in the oven and taste like they're fried!
  • abbyjane81
    abbyjane81 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    blondchick I really want a spiralizer! I Julianne my zucchini and sauté it with artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes and toss in pesto:) a spiralizer would make life easier!

I have a ton of go to recipes- love creating in the kitchen-here are a few go to ones:)

Chia pudding:
    1 cup coconut milk
    1/4 cup chia seeds
    2 tablespoons cocoa powder
    1 tbsp honey

Mix it well and through in fridge over night. It's like tapioca pudding and dill with fiber!
    It fulfills my sweet needs! Like ice cream or pudding:)

Crockpot veggie chili
    4 cans rinsed great northern beans
    Or 2 of blank beans, 2 northern
    Large jar salsa
    Can of diced tomatoes
    1 bunch chopped green onions
    Cumin, oregano, chili powder,
    Fresh chopped cilantro
    4 hrs high
    I eat a bowl with an avocado sliced on top
    Or top with cheese, sour cream green onions
    Or eat as a dip with while grain tortilla chips!

• betsysjl
    Options
    I My other favorite meal is to make cauliflower rice with stir-fried veggies and baked egg rolls.

Is the cauliflower rice worth the effort? I want to try it, but it seems like a lot of work.

All these recipes sound amazing...

I also make a delicious peanut butter dip (found on pinterest). With vanilla greek yogurt, peanut butter and honey. It's so good with fruit, veggies, and crackers.
  • c_leeee
    c_leeee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have become obsessed with spring rolls and spicy peanut sauce! I use this recipe, we eat this at least once a week! http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2014/07/fresh-spring-rolls-spicy-peanut-sauce.html
  • abbyjane81
    Options
    Yum excited to try the spring rolls soon!

I never was into cauliflower but I took the time to find recipes and love it!

I make loaded cauliflower
    Steam a large head of cauliflower in bite size pieces
    Mix in a large bowl with 1 cup plain greek yogurt ,four slices crumbled center cut bacon 2 diced garlic cloves, salt pepper and 8 ounces grated cheese
    Place in Pyrex dish
    Top with grated cheese, crumbled bacon, green onions
    Cook for about 25 minutes at 450
    Delightful!

Lots of cheese I know- but good a yummy treat for diabetics.
  • Marylandry89
    Marylandry89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well I don't exactly have a recipe or anything but right now I'm OBSESSED with spicy things! My best friend is a personal trainer and she was telling me that salsa was a tasty low calorie substitute for dressing.
    OMG!!! Love it!!!
    Also I put jalapeños on everything lol
    I learned that you burn more calories eating spicy food! YUM! :)
  • bronzeambition
    bronzeambition Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    betsysjl wrote: »
    I My other favorite meal is to make cauliflower rice with stir-fried veggies and baked egg rolls.

Is the cauliflower rice worth the effort? I want to try it, but it seems like a lot of work.

It is totally worth it! You can save a lot of calories by doing it and when I pair it with other things, I don't miss rice at all. It doesn't take me too much time. I use frozen cauliflower because it's cheaper and all of the cleaning and prep is done for you. People say you can't use frozen, but it's all I use to make it and it always turns out fine. I either let it thaw or defrost it in the microwave. I don't have a food processor, so I use an onion chooper to dice the cauliflower. The texture is slightly different from actual rice if you do this, as the cauliflower pieces are larger, but it doesn't bother me. Then I just line tupperware with paper towels to soak up extra water and put it in the microwave. It obviously takes more time than making actual rice, but in total, the total prep time (not counting thawing/defrosting) takes 5 minutes and cook time takes about 8 minutes, depending on how much you're making.
  • betsysjl
    Options
    Thanks @bronzeambition‌ you made it sound easier than I was thinking. Excited to try it.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Here is one of my favorite weekend breakfast recipes:

Cottage cheese pancakes

Ingredients
    • 3 eggs
    • 1 cup cottage cheese
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 2 tablespoons honey or agave
    • 1/2 cup flour
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • butter, oil or oil spray
    Preparation
    1. 1. Place the first 4 ingredients in a bowl and whisk.
    2. 2. In a separate bowl whisk the dry ingredients.
    3. 3. Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir until just combined.
    4. 4. Heat a large sauté pan or griddle over medium heat, lightly coat with oil or butter and pour about 1 tbsp of the mixture onto the griddle for each pancake.
    5. 5. Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are set and golden.
    6. 6. Serve.
    7. *To Freeze: Let pancakes come to room temperature, place in a ziploc bag, label and freeze up to 3 months.

Adding blueberries is also great!
    Enjoy
  • abbyjane81
    Options
    Black bean chocolate brownies
    96 cals per 1/9 of pan

Ingredients
    1 can black beans drained and rinsed
    3 eggs
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 cup cocoa powder
    Salt
    1/4 cup butter ( substitute with coconut oil or even apple sauce!)
    1-2 cup chocolate chips

Blend black beans and eggs together until smooth
    Mix with all other ingredients but chocolate chips and pour into greased pan (9x9)
    Sprinkle with chocolate chips
    Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until done.

I'm going to try them with less sugar or use coconut sugar or honey next time. Let you know how it goes!

Each square has tons of protein and fiber! Yay!
  • abbyjane81
    Options
    Just googled a better recipe that sweetens with dates. Psyched for batch two!
  • mainebeachbum
    mainebeachbum Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Chicken Marsala
    Ingredients:
    • 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (16 oz)
    • Salt and pepper
    • 1/4 cup soy sauce, low sodium1 T. olive oil
    • 2 slices prosciutto, finely chopped
    • 4 cloves garlic, minced
    • 2 cups sliced mushrooms
    • ¾ cup Marsala
    • 1 cup chicken broth
    • 2 T. chopped fresh parsley
    • ½ teaspoon sage
    Cut chicken in half and press to thin out. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat ½ the oil in skillet over medium heat. Sauté chicken 3-5 minutes on each side until nicely brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate; cover and keep warm.
    In the same skillet, combine remaining oil, prosciutto, and mushrooms. Cook until brown. Add garlic, sauté 1 minute longer. Add Marsala, chicken broth and seasonings. Bring just to boiling; reduce heat and simmer until reduced to ~ 2/3 cup. Return chicken to skillet and simmer until heated through.

4 servings, ~ 272 calories, 9 g fat

I serve with:
    • Red potatoes, boiled, season to taste
    • Spinach, sautéed

This is something the whole family will eat. My son just picks off the mushrooms.
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    I'd like to try the brownies and the Chicken Marsala (love that stuff)! This week I'm hooked on salads. I am a big avocado fan and have begun slicing it onto my salads. I also added a package or envelope of the single serving salmon. OMG - that with the avocado was amazing!!! And so high in protein that I was under calories for the day because it fill be up for hours.

Cauliflower is also one of my new favs so I'll be trying some new recipes that I will share. I made buffalo cauliflower last weekend and really liked it. That' recipe is on allrecipes.com if you're interested.
  • betsysjl
    Options
    I made a carrot pizza crust last Friday and it was pretty good.

I think it is similar to the cauliflower one (I haven't tried that yet). It toasted up nice, but once I added sauce to it, it got soggy in the middle. I guess I added too much sauce.

You can find the recipe here:

http://joandsue.blogspot.com/2013/03/carrot-crust-pizza.html

Friday night is pizza night at my house, so I've been experimenting with different crusts. This one took about as long as it did for me to order pizza and have my husband pick it up, so we were able to eat about the same time.

I'm also looking at trying one with a cream cheese crust, no crust (just melt the cheese), and the cauliflower crust. I tried an eggplant one which wasn't the best, but I didn't cook it right and I think my eggplant was cut too thick. I also did mini ones using just canadian bacon as the crust.
  • mainebeachbum
    mainebeachbum Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @renaejae - in what part of the store do you find single serve salmon? That's sounds right up my alley!
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    Beachbum -The Salmon is right next to the tuna fish. It's in the same foil like envelopes that they have tuna in. It was really great. No extra liquid in it so it was nice and dry. All I had to do was scoop it onto my salad.

Betsy - Let me know how the cauliflower crust comes out. I think I'd love it. I grew up hating cauliflower and now it's one of my favorites! So versatile. Just as good as potato or rice since you can season it up. Here's the recipe that I have for cauliflower pizza crust (I haven't tried it yet but I might need to do this on Friday night now :) !

You Won't Believe it's Cauliflower Pizza Crust
    1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower* (chopped fine)
    1 egg
    1 cup mozzarella cheese
    1/2 tsp fennel
    1 tsp oregano
    2 tsp parsley
    **pizza or alfredo sauce
    toppings (make sure meats are cooked)
    mozzarella cheese
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees Farenheit.
    Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
    In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with fennel, oregano and parsley.
    Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe).
    Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese.

I've also been enjoying the sushi that Shaw's Supermarket has all prepared. Usually there are 8-10 rolls in a tray and I'll eat half as part of my lunch or even a snack. Only 100 calories and very flavorful.
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    Here is that spring roll recipe along with the peanut sauce.

http://www.abeautifulmess.com/.services/blog/6a00d8358081ff69e200d8354b1b2d53ef/search?filter.q=spring+rolls

These were so easy to make (once I found the rice paper at Whole Foods). One spring roll made with 4 small shrimp, stripped green beans, shallots, carrots, cilantro, romaine, cucumber & green pepper was about 67 calories. The Peanut Sauce is around 40 cal for 1/8 cup which you may not even use all of. The best part is that they are a beautiful party appetizer. I'd post a picture here but I haven't been able to make that work yet??