What's been challenging for you?

Options
I do love this WOE (hello bacon!!) but do find it comes with it's own set of challenges- such as people not understanding that you don't have to eat grain/sugar all day long to function. (The body needs grain- it's on the food pyramid for a reason!.... yes to promote agriculture and stimulate the purchasing of agricultural products!) *eye roll*

But my biggest personal challenge comes into play at work on Fridays- we all go out for lunch, everyone else gets sandwiches and fries and gravy.... and I get a chicken Caesar salad bc everything else that comes out of the majority of the restaurants near my work is breaded, or served on bread. (Sigh!)

It's not the end of the world but it's hard to watch everyone enjoy fries and bread while I at lettuce and chicken.

What do you find challenging about eating this way?

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Its letting the special events get too often. I tried really hard to be good on Thanksgiving and Christmas but even events not on the specific days. There's all this food that I never would make and it is good and I let the "Its not often I can eat xyz, not like fries I can have any day" take control. But the problem is when I let this happen too often. These are usually the start of my slippery slope. I guess thats not unique to keto, but I think the setback is longer.
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    So far it's just trying to get people to understand that they don't have to accept my woe they just need to stop berating me about it. A few of them have noticed my results and have asked to know more. It's akward to retrain my way of thinking after being misled for my entire life.
    I'm struggling right now with increasing calories and still being able to lose weight. I think I'm not eating enough but it's just so scary.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I do love this WOE (hello bacon!!) but do find it comes with it's own set of challenges- such as people not understanding that you don't have to eat grain/sugar all day long to function. (The body needs grain- it's on the food pyramid for a reason!.... yes to promote agriculture and stimulate the purchasing of agricultural products!) *eye roll*

But my biggest personal challenge comes into play at work on Fridays- we all go out for lunch, everyone else gets sandwiches and fries and gravy.... and I get a chicken Caesar salad bc everything else that comes out of the majority of the restaurants near my work is breaded, or served on bread. (Sigh!)

It's not the end of the world but it's hard to watch everyone enjoy fries and bread while I at lettuce and chicken.

What do you find challenging about eating this way?

I'm sorry that this probably isn't helpful right away, but you WILL get used to it. I try to get a cut of meat grilled or a house salad with grilled chicken added and get them to put cheese and bacon and hardboiled egg on it. And tell myself that I can have a LC treat later on. A diet soda or a fat bomb I really love would do it. To me it became: I've come this far. Just LOOK at the results: amazing! I do most of the time really love my lchf foods. I feel so great. I'm doing something so good for myself. Are those people who are eating the carbage really better off than me? Why mess that up over a lunch? And why can't I enjoy mine just as much? Look over the restaurants you frequent and see if there are any dishes you can modify to fit Keto. If they can put non-breaded chicken on a Caesar, they could put it on a house salad covered in cheese and bacon or ham. Or on maybe on a plate in place of breaded chicken in a dish?

It's very hard watching my family eating pizza and fast food. But I CAN eat the toppings off pizza and I CAN eat a bunless burger. It's all about getting creative with what is available and focusing on what you CAN have instead of what you CAN'T. Easier said than done, but consistently done it gets easier and easier until you look forward to what you GET TO HAVE and couldn't give a flip about all the things you choose not to eat (in the interest of your weight loss, well-being and/or health).

My only problem currently is calories and being born starving. Momentum from doing Keto so long makes it my normal/default mode and easy to keep going. But when I decide to go over on calories on a special occasion... whew... do the calories get nuts! I also had to quit alcohol for the time being. :disappointed: It was stalling me and making me consume too many calories. I'm also doing a 16:8 IF right now along with a effort to eat fat over 70%, and as close to 80% as circumstances permit, to combat my rabid hungries. In the beginning of this WOL, my appetite (which has plagued me my entire life) thankfully quieted down for awhile, but it came back. And it's annoying in the extreme. Not ready to maintain yet TYVM, stupid body, you are going to have to wait 24 more pounds! :angry:
  • Chena83
    Chena83 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    What doe WOE mean?

My challenge is to not look at the scale and test to see if I am in Ketosis every 15 seconds. Lol
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    WOE. Way of Eating.
    WOL. Way of Life, which is what I call my "diet" because it's a lifestyle change and I plan to keep low-carbing forever.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Probably the most challenging part for me, is watching people I love eat crappy food that I know is not good for them. I'm never one to get in anyone else's business and I will only give my opinion if asked - but wow, inside, I'm cringing. :(

Hoping I can just lead by example and maybe help some of my family members and friends make small healthy changes.

Aside from that- boy do I not like sharing my food. My daughter tried to take a piece of bacon off my plat and holy hell I about lost my marbles. ;) lol
  • prairiedana
    Options

Aside from that- boy do I not like sharing my food. My daughter tried to take a piece of bacon off my plat and holy hell I about lost my marbles. ;) lol

OMGOSH!!! YES! THIS! I do not care for people taking food off my plate that I didn't offer or anticipate to share. That and close talkers. (not everyone gets into the circle of trust right off the hop!)
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Right now-the scale is really messing with my head.
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Honestly the only thing challenging about this WOE is keeping the kitchen clean! lol And sometimes it's challenging for me to balance my cooking and logging with quality time spent with my boyfriend. He seems to be getting frustrated about it a lot. But nothing as far as the eating itself is really that challenging to me. No cravings. No big temptations. If I think of something I want I find a recipe for it that's keto friendly.
  • SporkNBeans
    Options
    Alcohol. Particularly Vodka. i love to have a few drinks here n' there. I've read so much conflicting information about whether its OK or not to drink while doing keto. . i know vodka isn't the worst carb wise compared to Beer or wine but i know I'm probably just better off without it.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Alcohol. Particularly Vodka. i love to have a few drinks here n' there. I've read so much conflicting information about whether its OK or not to drink while doing keto. . i know vodka isn't the worst carb wise compared to Beer or wine but i know I'm probably just better off without it.
    While low carbing, I either drink Miller 64 (lame I know) or a flavored vodka (not cheapy UV, but something like Smirnoff or 3 Olives) with seltzer water. I loved the root beer flavored vodka.

• SporkNBeans
    Options
    Do the flavored vodkas have sugar in them? i always sort of figured they did. because i saw the root beer one and thought yum..but then quickly thought better of it.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options

I'm trying a plain old Grey Goose with cherry lime La Croix sparkling water. I LOVE those bubbly waters! http://www.lacroixwater.com/