The Quest for the Perfect Goggles

Options
disasterman
disasterman Posts: 746 Member
I think this is something most swimmers can relate to. Finding goggles that fit comfortably and don't feel like they're sucking your eyeballs out, don't leak, and don't fog up can seem like an epic quest. And since we're all different, there is no single answer. What googles have you found work best for you?

I just received my new pair of Baraccuda Standard Blue goggles and, other than the price, I love them. Most comfortable goggles I've ever worn by a long shot!

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I have some Tyr goggles my son bought me for Christmas. I like them.

But admit it, you read LoneSwimmer, don'tcha?
  • disasterman
    Options
    Never heard of LoneSwimmer but I'll read it now - and I see why you say that after I checked it out. I think it's just an obvious topic when swimmers gather - like 'Jammers or Budgie Smugglers?', ''Long course vs. Short?', 'Getting rid of that Chlorine Smell'.... :)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I'm so boring, Speedo Vanquisher...yes, I own them in different colors to match my swimsuits. Can't have pink goggles with a red suit; I'd look like a Valentine.

Style first, power second, safety third. :)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    He posted an article on goggles today. But I suppose you're right @disasterman. There are only so many topics you can get into about extreme non-drowning.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Never heard of LoneSwimmer but I'll read it now - and I see why you say that after I checked it out. I think it's just an obvious topic when swimmers gather - like 'Jammers or Budgie Smugglers?', ''Long course vs. Short?', 'Getting rid of that Chlorine Smell'.... :)

Hahahaha "budgie smugglers" makes a reappearance!
    Lolest!
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Swedes all day every day!
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've never been a fan of any of the traditionally sized swimming goggles. They always seem to leak, especially during longer workouts. Thus I use larger goggles (Aqua Sphere Vista Mask) in order to get a very secure fit that never leaks during my long workouts.

Here is what they look like and where you can buy them:

https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/aqua-sphere-vista-mask-10227/

Note the large soft plastic around the lenses.
  • turtle0022
    turtle0022 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Robertus, how does the anti-fog coating work for you? While I'm a swimming newbie, the fogging up on my Swedes is driving me nuts.
  • disasterman
    Options
    Also, a lot of the review of Aqua Sphere talk about visual distortion which scared me away from buying them. Have you noticed that Robertus? Or is that exaggerated?
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    turtle0022, anti-fog coating is a gimmick. Any anti-fog will become ineffective over time. A simple solution is repugnant to many newbies, but is tried and tested by long time swimmers. Simply spit in each goggle, rub it around with your finger, and then rinse it out. Goggles will stay clear for your whole workout. If spitting into your goggles grosses you out, you can always lick them instead.
  • Robertus
    Options
    turtle0022 wrote: »
    Robertus, how does the anti-fog coating work for you? While I'm a swimming newbie, the fogging up on my Swedes is driving me nuts.
    The last pair of Aqua Sphere goggles I bought from Amazon come with this antifog solution that seems to work great. Not sure how often you are supposed to apply it. Here it is as a stand-alone purchase:

http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Sphere-200142-Anti-Fog-Solution/dp/B000ENQT3K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423262453&sr=8-1&keywords=aqua+sphere+anti+fog
    Also, a lot of the review of Aqua Sphere talk about visual distortion which scared me away from buying them. Have you noticed that Robertus? Or is that exaggerated?
    I haven't noticed any distortion. You can see out of these large goggles much better than traditional swimming goggles.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

Spit works awesome in my scuba mask.

I've never had a fogging problem with the Vanquishers (or their ancestor, the Speedo Sprint).
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options

Spit works awesome in my scuba mask.

I've never had a fogging problem with the Vanquishers (or their ancestor, the Speedo Sprint).

My Vanuqishers fog up all the time, but that could be due to my inability to just swim for 45 minutes. I stop every 100y, stick them up on my head and then use the board, so I figured that they were getting the heat off my head. As a woman of a particular age, I just figured the heat from my body was fogging them up.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Zoggs ladies air fusion goggles are the best thing that ever happened to my swimming! They are tiny and very light - I don't know how they stay on but they are brilliant. Even doing a 5km swim I never have to adjust them and they don't leave any marks round my eyes.
  • Robertus
    Options
    SwimOutlet.com has a Presidents Day sale on several different models of AquaSphere goggles in cash anyone is interested.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My Vanuqishers fog up all the time, but that could be due to my inability to just swim for 45 minutes. I stop every 100y, stick them up on my head and then use the board, so I figured that they were getting the heat off my head. As a woman of a particular age, I just figured the heat from my body was fogging them up.

Put a drop of baby shampoo inside each lens, smear it around, and rinse it off in the water. Works better than any anti fog solution out there.