protein macros

Options
dmvbnoslo
dmvbnoslo Posts: 213 Member
I am so confused about protein- I know that I don't want to go too high, but I don't want to go too low either- at my age I need to salvage all the muscle I can! The numbers range greatly depending on who is giving the information. Any thoughts? Is 1.5 g/kg about right?

Replies

• sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Depends I guess. According to what I've read 1.3/kg to 2.2/kg is the range Have you tried this calculator: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Try out the keto calculator. keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
    It will give you a range for your protein and fats.
  • sdefranc
    sdefranc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would stick to the lower end of the range but make sure you're having at least 30g of protein with each meal,mand never less than 20. This will ensure protein synthesis gets turned on. Having all your protein in one meal of the day is a bad strategy
  • dmvbnoslo
    dmvbnoslo Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    thanks all! good info...
  • NasherBasher
    NasherBasher Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    sdefranc wrote: »
    I would stick to the lower end of the range but make sure you're having at least 30g of protein with each meal,mand never less than 20. This will ensure protein synthesis gets turned on. Having all your protein in one meal of the day is a bad strategy

What if you are practicing intermittent fasting, and pretty much only have one meal?
  • jamestomasino
    jamestomasino Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can also suppliment with whey protein powder if you are consistently falling short. I like to mix it with unsweetened almond milk on those lean days.