Need new ways of cooking

Options
RunionX4
RunionX4 Posts: 190 Member
What is your favorite way to fix the good old comfort foods we used to fry or use lots of butter or whatever. I love the classic comfort foods like mashed potatoes, fries, fried chicken and such. Now I need new ways of cooking them so that they are healthier. Or even just put a new spin on them to give them a fresh new taste. Thanks. <3

Replies

• focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    arunion01 wrote: »
    What is your favorite way to fix the good old comfort foods we used to fry or use lots of butter or whatever. I love the classic comfort foods like mashed potatoes, fries, fried chicken and such. Now I need new ways of cooking them so that they are healthier. Or even just put a new spin on them to give them a fresh new taste. Thanks. <3

Make up your favourite
  • focused4health
    Options
    arunion01 wrote: »

Make up your favourite

Don't know what happened. Had a reply typed and lost it all except first 4 words. Substitute mashed potatoes with steamed and mashed cauliflower or parsnip. Plenty of recipes out there. I use cauliflower rice instead of rice. I use cauliflower as a "potato" salad. Use nut or olive oils instead of butter. Make mayo using a olive oil....not extra virgin as you don't want an overpowering taste...search the clean eating website www.cleaningeating.com.

You want different. Try this on a cold morning.Serve of your favourite
  • focused4health
    Options
    Keeps on cutting half my reply. I give up. Friend me and check out some weird eating.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Like focused4health said, mix in cauliflower, parsnip, swede or celeriac with your mashed potatoes to lighten them up (or skip the potatoes all together and just use veggies, but this will taste very different from regular mash).

Instead of fried chicken, you could bread your own and oven bake it. Same for fries: cut up some (sweet) potatoes (or, again, veg), toss with seasoning and a little oil and bake in the oven.

Or just have a little bit of your favorite dish once in a while with healthier sides. So don't have both fried chicken and fries, but pick one and have it with some salad and lean protein/carbs.
  • RunionX4
    Options
    Keeps on cutting half my reply. I give up. Friend me and check out some weird eating.

LOL.....Sorry it took so long to get back with you. Had some health issues and different things happen to where I could not get on here and take care of my weight loss stuff. Anyway. I will check out that site and see if I can find some recipes on there that I can try. (I'll send you a friend request)
  • RunionX4
    Options
    kimw91 wrote: »
    Like focused4health said, mix in cauliflower, parsnip, swede or celeriac with your mashed potatoes to lighten them up (or skip the potatoes all together and just use veggies, but this will taste very different from regular mash).

Instead of fried chicken, you could bread your own and oven bake it. Same for fries: cut up some (sweet) potatoes (or, again, veg), toss with seasoning and a little oil and bake in the oven.

Or just have a little bit of your favorite dish once in a while with healthier sides. So don't have both fried chicken and fries, but pick one and have it with some salad and lean protein/carbs.

Thanks. Been baking chicken and such for a while but just seems to get boring after a while and want something new and different but still like the "good old favorites" Just gonna keep trying to come up with new ways of cooking.
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    check out groups recipeswap chicken - i put some low cal chicken recipes there.
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    http://www.recipe.com/shrimp-with-warm-coleslaw/
    i tried this last night very good.. if you need protein up and carbs down
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Along with using different vegetables, I use 2 % cheeses, light sour cream, 2 % milk and I brown meats in oven proof nonstick skillet then finish in oven. I also substitute lean meat like ground round for ground beef, pork tenderloin, sirloin steak.