Tools of the trade

Options
13»

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

These cheap little bands can help someone save your life or id you should something happen. How many of you C25Kes run on the roads? How many of you guys run with identification? Would someone be able to identify you should something happen?

Road ID can help a first responder, police, good sams identify you should something happen.

There are two versions: standard and interactive. The standand varies from $15 to $30 depending on the id you get. You can choose a braclet, ankle band, shoe strap, and many more.
    The interactive is the same price plus $10 a year. With the interactive your info is loaded up on the computer, you fill in everything from alllergies to previous medical histories and the first responder will be able to upload your information. Plus with the interactive you can change your information should you move (ideal to military people like myself).
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

These cheap little bands can help someone save your life or id you should something happen. How many of you C25Kes run on the roads? How many of you guys run with identification? Would someone be able to identify you should something happen?

Road ID can help a first responder, police, good sams identify you should something happen.

There are two versions: standard and interactive. The standand varies from $15 to $30 depending on the id you get. You can choose a braclet, ankle band, shoe strap, and many more.
    The interactive is the same price plus $10 a year. With the interactive your info is loaded up on the computer, you fill in everything from alllergies to previous medical histories and the first responder will be able to upload your information. Plus with the interactive you can change your information should you move (ideal to military people like myself).

I wear the shoestrap on my pure flows. I also have bracelets for me and the babies.
  • msjohnson13
    msjohnson13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    WOW..I never thought socks made a difference. I know my feet get hot when I run, but I always thought a sock was a sock.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    WOW..I never thought socks made a difference. I know my feet get hot when I run, but I always thought a sock was a sock.
    Balegas! I am telling you they are worth it!
  • rduhlir
    Options
    So...I am back with another product review. This week are the Nathan's Breakaway Arm Sleeves:
    44923-9325-1A-259x292.jpg

They come in several colors: pink and black. They also come in two sizes: S/M and L/XL.

The discription on Nathan's website is this:
    Supple knit and articulated construction promote natural running arm swing
    Thermo-regulating material wicks and breathes
    Antimicrobial fabric resists sweat and stays fresh
    SureGrip loop for on-and-off on the fly

I don't know about the natural arm swing thing, but the sleeves are definately not restrictive. They take a few uses to get used to as they are slightly tight on the upper arms, so that they don't slip down.

The material definately wicks sweat, and at the same time helps maintain body heat. I used these on my run Wednesday night which was chilly and rainy. While they did get wet, my arms stayed fairly warm.

I have only used them twice, and while they are machine washable I haven't had to wash them yet.

The SureGrip loop is a little ribbon that is located at the top of the sleeve on the inside. You can loop a finger in it and pull down and take them off pretty quickly.

I really enjoy these, and would recommend them to anyone. Plus you get to look all 80's while you run.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    So...I am back with another product review. This week are the Nathan's Breakaway Arm Sleeves:
    44923-9325-1A-259x292.jpg

They come in several colors: pink and black. They also come in two sizes: S/M and L/XL.

The discription on Nathan's website is this:
    Supple knit and articulated construction promote natural running arm swing
    Thermo-regulating material wicks and breathes
    Antimicrobial fabric resists sweat and stays fresh
    SureGrip loop for on-and-off on the fly

I don't know about the natural arm swing thing, but the sleeves are definately not restrictive. They take a few uses to get used to as they are slightly tight on the upper arms, so that they don't slip down.

The material definately wicks sweat, and at the same time helps maintain body heat. I used these on my run Wednesday night which was chilly and rainy. While they did get wet, my arms stayed fairly warm.

I have only used them twice, and while they are machine washable I haven't had to wash them yet.

The SureGrip loop is a little ribbon that is located at the top of the sleeve on the inside. You can loop a finger in it and pull down and take them off pretty quickly.

I really enjoy these, and would recommend them to anyone. Plus you get to look all 80's while you run.

I might need these. Do they come in highlighter colors or rainbow stripes?

Oh. Only pink. Well, I guess a fourth shade of clashing pink make me look like a real runner :laugh:

That "Dome light" hat looks totally awesome.
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Well, let me just say this thread is evil. I have an Amazon cart full of Sweaty Bands, socks, and a Garmin that I totally do not need. I think I'm going to just get the bands.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    I wanted to share this little gem with everyone. I haven't written many product reviews much, as I have been using so much from my Strideboxes that I just can't keep up. But this one thing is something that one of my other runner friends from the long distance group shared with me.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcnD72ZQkO3-hdKvtVcG6UbpMU9bA4hKOrpw2EJKvUWgf5wqHwm9HVa6ztaQ

This is the Pearl Izumi Elite Convertable Jacket. What is so awesome about it? It is a long sleeved jacket and vest all in one! Yup, that is right, the sleeves zip away! So far I have used this jacket for both long runs, short runs, races, and walks! It is actually a light-weight biking jacket, there is a butt pocket on the back of the jacket. But is works perfectly for running as well. It is extremely light-weight, weighing only about 82 grams.

It washes well also. I wore it for an off-road 8K race that was completely muddy and it washed out like a champ. This is my go to light-weight jacket for running now! Well...for everything really, lol....I layer under lol. Totally recommend this jacket! Just a heads up, Pearl Izumi tends to run small on women.
  • flnfrgge
    flnfrgge Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My armband
    My iPhone
    Couch 25K app
    Flogging Molly or Living End playlists.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    http://home.avvanta.com/~dhays/running/runlog/runlog.html

Wanted to share this running log with people. I shared it in the Long Distance group as well...and while it is geared more towards the longer distance runner, I feel that many in this group would do good with it. It is an excel spreadsheet that can help you track your mileage, shoes, races, etc.... You might now realize right now....but every mile you log is another piece of motivation that you can use in the future. Imagine looking back a year from now....when you have logged every run on the log...to see a total mileage staring you in the face. It is a powerful thing and I want to share that feeling with others. I hope you like the log...this is one of my tools of the trade.
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Just have to say THANK YOU for this thread. I'm buying Sweaty Bands as I write this post, lol.

I have to check out which socks I want and then start looking more seriously at tops and bottoms. I've been using whatever I have (an old sports bra, a couple of shirts from the Color Runs, and either shorts or capris which always leave me uncomfortable).

Any recommendations on bottoms in particular? Brands, etc?
  • swampus99
    swampus99 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    nicca_jb wrote: »
    Just have to say THANK YOU for this thread. I'm buying Sweaty Bands as I write this post, lol.

I have to check out which socks I want and then start looking more seriously at tops and bottoms. I've been using whatever I have (an old sports bra, a couple of shirts from the Color Runs, and either shorts or capris which always leave me uncomfortable).

Any recommendations on bottoms in particular? Brands, etc?

I am a newbie runner (starting W4D1 tomorrow) and I would also love to hear more about gear people have recently tried and loved!
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Well, let me just say this thread is evil. I have an Amazon cart full of Sweaty Bands, socks, and a Garmin that I totally do not need. I think I'm going to just get the bands.

Me too!!! I can't find a headband I don't hate, so I'm excited to try these!
    Thanks for the advice everyone. It's really helpful since I'm just starting out.

Now, if anyone knows where to find some LONG athletic-style tank tops (for ladies) please let me know! I'm tall & I just want some that cover my rear lol. Even the places that usually sell tall sizes have failed me.
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a budget wristband pedometer. Can anyone recommend me one? Thanks!

Note: I can't use many fancy wristband because I got a Sony Xperia with Android 4.1 and it seems they required 4.3 or above to work.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Sports bras... any good recommendations for a 44DD? VS doesn't go that large. :s
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    A stick of Extra sugar free peppermint gum. It keeps my mouth moistened as I huff and puff and the peppermint flavor settles my queasy stomach. :D
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My favorite gear:

Trekz Air titanium headset

Bolega socks

running pants with pockets. (I will never buy another pair of leggings without side pockets again!)