Hungry after working out

AmyWininger
AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
I try to keep my net carbs under 50g, mainly around 20-25g, and I've just recently started working out. I have only been doing about 30 minutes on an elliptical, but today I started weights. I'm starting out lightly, and not overdoing it. So, I spent about an hour in the gym. I got back to my dorm, and was hit an hour later by this ridiculous hunger. I would eat, but it's the type of hunger that makes me feel nauseous, and I don't even know if I'm hungry. I just want to overcome the nauseous feeling, so I had a mozzarella string cheese stick. It's a little hard to eat some things because of how nauseous I am feeling. Does anyone have a similar experience and/or suggestions? Oh, and I'm really sleepy right now. I had plenty of sleep last night, but right after my workout I got really tired. Any input on that too?

Replies

• shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    You might need potassium and more water. Sounds like dehydration to me. Remember to drink when you are working out.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Are you pushing yourself really hard on the elliptical? Though over-exercising nausea usually strikes at the time of you crossing your 'capability mark', it can come a bit later. How long have you been on LCHF? Maybe your body isn't quite fat adapted yet? I'd say the tiredness is just from your muscles being exhausted and that should adapt as you become more used to exercising. But definitely heed shadesofidaho's advice too.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Are you doing a lot of ab work? I get nauseous and stay that way for hours after a good ab workout.
  • I started working out with a trainer two weeks ago and was what i felt was starving after workouts but it just suddenly leveled off Friday. So hang in there. I use Atkins meal bars and snack bars to help push thru. Good luck.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Try some broth. This woe flushes sodium on its out, now add in an hour long work out. I always find when I am really dizzy and nauseous when I haven't had enough sodium.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Lots of things could be making you nauseous and/or hungry after a workout.

(1) If you are new to exercising, your body requires an adjustment period. Ramp up slowly in your intensity. Everyone starts somewhere.

(2) Nausea is very common when doing new types of workouts, even in folks that exercise regularly.

(3) Low electrolytes.

(4) Dehydration.

(5) Low blood pressure and/or low blood sugar.

(6) Not fat/keto adapted yet. If you are still relatively new to LCHF eating, your body still may be looking for carbs to fuel your activity. Once you are keto adapted, you will primarly use fat to fuel your workouts. This can take several weeks to a few months (without cheating) to happen. Everyone is different.

(7) Not eating enough calories overall.

As far as being tired...that is completely normal. In fact, you probably will find that you sleep more soundly, and dream more when you exercise regularly.