Advice on how best to prepare leafy greens/cabbages!

Options
Hello :)

I'm currently living abroad and have access to loads of cabbages, dark leafy greens etc. I find I'm always cooking them the same way - either adding them to soup or sauteing them on the stove top. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    You could use them to roll up other roasted veggies ( roasted pumpkin, capsicum onion) & or rice and beans/ lentils in .
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I love kale cooked in vegetable broth as a side dish. And cooked cabbage leaves are great for making rolls or wraps - you can stuff them with just about anything - black beans and salsa for a Mexican flavor, ricotta and marinara for an Italian flavor, ground beef and rice, chicken and sour cream, etc.
  • suntomoon
    Options
    actually i throw kale, green beans, snap peas, carrots (haven't done cabbage yet) as a mixture into my blender with almond milk and frozen/fresh fruit and protein powder. It pretty much gives me the nutrients I need for the day and with the fruit (2/3 cup) I never really taste the veggies.
  • suntomoon
    Options
    oh I do add handfuls of parsley and any other veggies I have on hand raw. I don't like onions in the morning. Lucky you! abundance of green! your skin must be fantastic looking.
  • ambarsch
    ambarsch Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Chop and blanch them then add to a quinoa/couscous/bean salad.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Shred them & use for salads like Asian chicken salad: add edamame, homemade Asian dressing, maybe some almonds & orange pieces.

Or my favorite simple slaw: add whatever shredded veggies, vinegar, salt, pepper and a bit of sugar or honey. Let is sit for a few hours to soften.
  • devoslosingit
    devoslosingit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Another one is to slightly cook them, just until there in the middle of fresh and soft. Then cool them and add fresh vegies for a slight spin on a reguler salad. Adding chicken or turkey makes it a full meal in a bowl!
  • rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bmjacoby wrote: »

I'm currently living abroad and have access to loads of cabbages, dark leafy greens etc. I find I'm always cooking them the same way - either adding them to soup or sauteing them on the stove top. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Hey there, I discovered a delish, low calorie recipe for honey sriracha Cashew Chicken that uses cabbage as a base. Very satisfying meal, especially for low calorie diets. We pass on the cashews. I plan to try it with shrimp next time.
    http://www.healthyseasonalrecipes.com/honey-sriracha-chicken-cashew-stir-fry/

Robin:)
  • giro629
    giro629 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bmjacoby wrote: »

I've been using the Yummly app which parses lots of food blog recipes. My filters are set to vegan and if I type in "kale" or "greens" it bring up lots of recipes that suit my diet. Set the filters to suit you and explore....
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I like baked kale chips, kimchee, and runza filling (1 lb ground beef or sausage, a head of chopped cabbage, onion, green pepper, and Italian seasoning).
  • aimeechristian
    aimeechristian Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I adore kale salad. You just need to dress it with your vinaigrette the night before so it softens up. I like adding red onions, walnuts, lemon zest and sometimes crasins or mandarin orange segments.

I do use it in my smoothies too. It adds a little zing.

I cook greens like Swiss chard and beet greens with sautéed onions and a sprinkle of paprika and sometimes add some raisins or pine nuts.

Go for it!! :)
  • dawny17
    dawny17 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Shred them & use for salads like Asian chicken salad: add edamame, homemade Asian dressing, maybe some almonds & orange pieces.

Or my favorite simple slaw: add whatever shredded veggies, vinegar, salt, pepper and a bit of sugar or honey. Let is sit for a few hours to soften.

I try to use in season vegetables, so one time I shredded cabbage and used it in caeser salad instead of romain, since I prefer the crunchy part of lettuce, I absolutely fell in love with this version of caeser salad.