Welcome! Introduce yourself

Options
slikorify
slikorify Posts: 130 Member
Hey,

Just thought I'd put a post up for people to post a bit about themselves and get to know each other. You don't need to weigh in here, I'll put a post up for that closer to the time.

I'm Jamie, 21 years old, from the UK and at university. The first time I weighed myself I was 323lbs. I'm now at around 214lbs, trying to get to 200lbs for my next major goal :)

Replies

• dessar100
    dessar100 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi i'm Matt, I think your idea is great and I can't wait to get started!! Will we be tracking our weight via google docs?
  • slimmingqueen31
    slimmingqueen31 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey this is awesome, i am currently taking 4 weeks at a time and trying to change one thing for the better each week, this group will be great to help me with that
    I am Barbara, 31 from belfast in N Ireland
  • bestmeicanbe1
    bestmeicanbe1 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm Brandi
    I'm a stay at home mom and wife from Wisconsin.
    I love groups like this. I can't wait to start!
  • slikorify
    Options
    dessar100 wrote: »
    Hi i'm Matt, I think your idea is great and I can't wait to get started!! Will we be tracking our weight via google docs?

I've been thinking about using google docs for it. A group I was in before used it but there were a couple of problems. The first was that a lot of people said it was annoying having to go to that link all the time. The other was that every now and then someone would delete a load of other peoples entries for no reason.

I could have the google docs then also post a screenshot of it here for the people that don't want to find it. Haven't tried it before but does anyone know if i can make a doc on google docs so it's public and read only? So only I could edit it, just to stop people messing it up

Also, nice to meet you all :)
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm Amanda, I'm 37 married mother of 4 (ages 22 (my step daughter), 19, 14 and 4). I'm technically a stay at home mom, (though I do beta reading and help admin a FB page with 700K followers). I started at 251 pounds, and as of this morning am down to 220.8 pounds, to be at the top of the ideal weight range I need to lose another 40.2 pounds. I have broken it up to 10 pound mini goals, I also have fitness goals I am working towards. My biggest is a 12 K run in May...
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Katie and I'm struggling to lose those last few pounds. I feel like I've been stuck for a while. I'm wanting to try to slowly lose them... so 5 lbs in 12 weeks. I know it probably doesn't sound like much but I think I need to try to slow things down so that I stop getting off track. Thanks for having me!
  • VeryKatie
    edited February 2015
    Options
    slikorify wrote: »
    dessar100 wrote: »

I've been thinking about using google docs for it. A group I was in before used it but there were a couple of problems. The first was that a lot of people said it was annoying having to go to that link all the time. The other was that every now and then someone would delete a load of other peoples entries for no reason.

I could have the google docs then also post a screenshot of it here for the people that don't want to find it. Haven't tried it before but does anyone know if i can make a doc on google docs so it's public and read only? So only I could edit it, just to stop people messing it up

Also, nice to meet you all :)

Oh, and yes, you can set it up so that certain cells are locked or you can lock the whole thing during certain times if you want! You can also create back-up copies periodically (and keep them locked on a separate tab). I would suggest posting the link right in the group description so that it's easy to find. People shouldn't complain about clicking once more (it's the same if they had to post in a discussion... but this way there's less scrolling and you might be less stressed about entering everything).
  • slikorify
    Options
    Ok that's cool, I'll play around with it later and set us up a Google doc to use then. Yeah putting the link in the description is a good idea, will do that :)

Yeah I know what you mean with wanting to slow it down to stay on track, I always do that when I'm home with my parents over christmas / easter / summer since they always have so much nice food that I know if I restrict myself too much I'll end up feeling hungry and eating a load of bad stuff haha
  • The_Morrighan
    The_Morrighan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Annemarie, been looking for something like this to keep me on track, really struggling at the moment, hoping to make my goal of 100lb lost by the summer x
  • AmysBoxers
    AmysBoxers Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Amy, I am 38 and from Altoona, Pennsylvania.
  • hmae
    hmae Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm Holly B. I'm a 24 year old mother/student/CNA in WI. I'm hoping that joining this group will help motivate me more to eat healthier and exercise daily. Looking forward to seeing results!
  • jasonraygagnon
    jasonraygagnon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Howdy folks, I'm Jay.

I started my dieting and exercise program almost two weeks ago, and I think this group would be great to gauge my success.

Just a thought - Can we have the spreadsheet setup so that the individual with the highest amount of weight lost is at the top? This would provide a great level of added competition because everyone wants to win deep down and perhaps add a bit of motivation.
  • slikorify
    Options
    Not sure if google docs has a feature that would let me order it like that. I could have a section on here where I list the top 5 overall and for each week if that's something people want
  • VeryKatie
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Not sure if google docs has a feature that would let me order it like that. I could have a section on here where I list the top 5 overall and for each week if that's something people want

You might be able to sort it using the Data tab, but I'm not sure that you can use conditional formatting to sort it automatically... I'm looking at a random Google Sheets right now... Let's see... ... ... I see a way of sorting manually... ... except that I can't get it to work... I'd be tempted just to copy and paste it into Excel every week and just report back to us hahah (I don't really know how to use Google Sheets).

Can I request that we do this challenge either by percent change or by change in BMI? Just to kind of even things out since we're all at different weights.

EDIT: Oop I got it! You have to freeze the header row (use the "View" tab to do this). Then click on the little arrow on the name of the column you want to sort it by (it's gray). The choose "Sort Z - A". It worked for my 3 person example.

wykll9ufa2vn.jpg
  • SFDonovan
    SFDonovan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm Steve D, 53 and live in North Texas. I'm 6'2" and around 312. I put on 10 pounds a year since I got out of the military in 1995. I'd like to be 265 for my 35 year HS class reunion in June 2015. That's 2.9 lbs a week which is not impossible but would be pretty damn hard. Lets get this party started!!
  • btmumma
    btmumma Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Lisa, nearly 45 in April, and I live in Florida. I'm 5'4" and have just topped out at 211 yesterday. I'm so ashamed but realize that health issues and meds along with the inability at times to be mobile have greatly contributed to this. I'm hoping to drop 50 lbs by September.
  • jasonraygagnon
    jasonraygagnon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Can I request that we do this challenge either by percent change or by change in BMI? Just to kind of even things out since we're all at different weights.

This is a good idea

• emjoco15
    emjoco15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Emily. I'm 24 and work as an Assistant Manager at a Kay Jewelers. I live in cold and boring Iowa. I'm 5'8" and as of January 15th I topped out at 200 lbs. Once I saw that number, I knew I had to change. My best friend is getting married in July and I refuse to be the "fat one" in the wedding party photos. So that's my inspiration. I plan on taking photos for every 10 pounds lost. My goal is 65 total by September 1st and 50 by July 1st. I've lost 8 so far. Need to lose 2 more lbs by Tuesday to be on track.
  • SFDonovan
    SFDonovan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    emjoco15 wrote: »
    I plan on taking photos for every 10 pounds lost.

This is one thing I haven't considered.

• djess050
    djess050 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm Jessica, Im 24 I am around 156ish or so and 5'6. I lost a good amount of fat so far and not much pounds. So Im Not sure if i have a goal weight necesarily (probably between 140-135). And since I gain muscle pretty easily, my main focus is to lose fat rather than pounds and to be able to fit into a size 3/4 jeans. Right now im at a 6. So I got some inches to loose.