Put weight back on. No idea how help!!!

Options

Replies

• x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're measuring yourself correctly also, as weight can be misleading at times. I say this because, when you do keto we get what's called the woosh effect from time to time (you spike up in weight a bit, only to lose a bunch all of a sudden.)

Also, I notice this happens more during that time of the month (I gain a bunch in water weight, only to lose it quickly when the time passes.)

Or, alternatively when I have a moderately carby day (days like the one I've had today lol.) Flax bread is like candy to me - oh how I love it. Usually, the weight goes away after a day or two following the event so long as I behave myself.

ycdpmzfow7qt.jpg

Delicious Delicious flax bread >.<

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I have zero idea why I've put weight back on . My macros look textbook perfect now. I'm about to give up if I don't see more results .

Ember, how much do you weigh? I weigh around 257ish lbs (18.36 stone or 116.6 kg) and my daily goal is 1400 calories. I see your goal is around that. Are you as heavy as I am? If not, you probably need to scale your calories back at least 200 ~ maybe 400 and you will start to see results.

Otherwise, what you are doing now, proves to be maintenance. I have no scientific basis for what I think about the online "calculators", but I think they are for more "active" people. When I plugged in my numbers (on several occasions as my weight changed) the numbers they gave me (20% deficit and I followed) resulted in ZERO weight loss, I didn't gain or lose.

I am so sedentary, that I am almost in a coma. If you have ever watched the movie, "The Matrix" I would be one of those people in the pods (LOL!). I will soon get a "Fitbit" (device that measures your activity, steps, etc) and it will probably show that I take about 100 steps a day (if that).

One last thing, if you are Keto adapted, then I highly suggest you do a 24 hour water fast. I think I suggested this to you before, I can't remember if you tried it or not?

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

yes!!!! i re did my calculator and subsequently dropped the calories. was way too high, was wondering why i was feeling so damn full!!! i have slipped out of ketosis i am sure , so am going to try the tweeked version of my diet and exercise more( limited mobility at the moment and am awaiting surgery) i weigh i think its about 176 and am 170 cm so yep , was at 1400 and dropped it back to about 1295 but it said i can drop down to 793 if i want so what i am going to do is do one day at 1250 and one day at about 800 and switch it around and keep my body guessing a bit , see if it works. If it does i shall report back! i have just been a bit desperate because i need to drop a certain amoount of weight prior to surgery as i will be completely immobile for a few months after that.

I weigh about 242 right now and lose consistently about 10lbs per month on 1200-1350 cals (my goal is set at 1351 cals in fact). I get 70-75% of my cals from fat, 20-25% from protein and 3-5% from carbs (I have my macros set in grams, but it works out to be roughly the above).

• embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    ok yep i am 179 pounds . so ive reset to 1295 as per recommendation and it said if i want to go down to 798 i can, i am guessing thats if u want a semi "fast" which i think i will do soon to see how it goes, although i am scared of going into starvation mode.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    ASMR videos on youtube

Love seeing random ASMR references on the interwebs :D Yesssssssssss.

• melissa968
    melissa968 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    How high is your stress level right now about this particular subject, and also overall?

I hear stress in your posts. I may be wrong, and if so, correct me.

Stress and/or lack of sleep can seriously stall weight loss efforts due to the hormone cortisol. If you are stressed out, try to relax a bit, and see if that helps.

Deep breathing/meditation

Yoga class (gentle ones)

Spa music listening

ASMR videos on youtube

Book a massage and/or facial

Sauna/steam room

Definitely agree. I've been watching Stephanie "the business" person on youtube. She says stress has a huge impact on whether you even become keto adapted. She has been in a state of ketosis for 5 years. She rambles a lot in her videos but she has some EXCELLENT information, and she certainly is inspirational.
  • embersdream
    Options
    awesome . yep . looking closer at that
  • embersdream
    edited February 2015
    Options
    no idea about the appeal of ASMR though , not tried them but have tried binaural beats
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Don't go too low with your calories. What will happen once you hit maintenance? You won't be able to eat much without gaining. You don't want your body to get used to eating too little and screw up your metabolism. I am 5'7" and weight 190. When I am not exercising, my total burn is about 1900 calories per day. So I eat around 1500 (give or take) and lose consistently. You may definitely want to invest in a FitBit or something similar to get a better idea on how much you are actually burning.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    no idea about the appeal of ASMR though , not tried them but have tried binaural beats

If you don't actually get ASMR (like you don't get the physical tingling sensation) then its probably going to be pretty darn weird. A lot of the roleplay and "personal attention" type videos are just completely odd to me. But the whispering, oh man. That stuff puts me to sleep. Whispering and tapping, I have like 200 vids in this playlist, some favorites I go to frequently, but they are almost all of that variety. Even within that narrow category though I find I'm picky. I actually have a pretty strong preference for languages that I can't understand, though a few English speakers work really really well for me too. Some are "too engaging" though and I find I want to listen to what they're saying closely and then I can't sleep.

Any sort of relaxing thing to help though is what matters. For me personally, I find things like "guided meditation/relaxation" videos distracting. The mindless rambling of an ASMR whisper vid though, bam, out like a light.

I should point out that I'm specifically talking about strategies I use to sleep, not general/overall stress management. I only listen to this stuff at bedtime, personally.

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Good lord, even 1300 seems pushing it for how low you'd want to go. This isn't a race!
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Good lord, even 1300 seems pushing it for how low you'd want to go. This isn't a race!

EXACTLY.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Do what the calc says calorie wise and don't drop lower until you lose 10lb and need to readjust. You should recalculate your goal every 10-15 lb. The body just needs less to run on as your weight drops. Going too little however and rushing it, is no bueno. All that will get you is a damaged metabolism and will hamper future weightloss. And make you cranky. Or at least it would me anyway. :wink:
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Going too low isn't good, but, some people need to go to low to see results. Just saying we just aren't all the same.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

I think for the OP it actually is. She's having knee surgery and wants to be as light as possible beforehand. Overall I agree, slow and steady...but I can see her point and why she wants to lose as much as possible. However, I think too many and too frequent "tweaks" will only confuse her more and make it even harder for her to figure out what works best for her.
  • embersdream
    edited February 2015
    Options
    no its not a race , however I need to lose a certain amount prior to surgery at the end of April, and post surgery it will leave me house bound and unable to do ANYTHING much for 6 weeks. Hence the "race" and i have found anything above around 1300 and i dont lose anything. Possibly due to not exercising since my injury and my metabolism has slowed right down ( which happens to me when i dont work out a lot)

• embersdream
    Options
    radiii wrote: »

If you don't actually get ASMR (like you don't get the physical tingling sensation) then its probably going to be pretty darn weird. A lot of the roleplay and "personal attention" type videos are just completely odd to me. But the whispering, oh man. That stuff puts me to sleep. Whispering and tapping, I have like 200 vids in this playlist, some favorites I go to frequently, but they are almost all of that variety. Even within that narrow category though I find I'm picky. I actually have a pretty strong preference for languages that I can't understand, though a few English speakers work really really well for me too. Some are "too engaging" though and I find I want to listen to what they're saying closely and then I can't sleep.

Any sort of relaxing thing to help though is what matters. For me personally, I find things like "guided meditation/relaxation" videos distracting. The mindless rambling of an ASMR whisper vid though, bam, out like a light.

I should point out that I'm specifically talking about strategies I use to sleep, not general/overall stress management. I only listen to this stuff at bedtime, personally.

I tried the ASMR thingy. It worked!! nonesensical whispers. :)
  • embersdream
    Options
    by the way, with the tweeks i have been doing i have started losing weight again, and just wanted to thank everyone for all the sage advice given. a long way to go and now need to adress this listless muscle fatigue, which, after reading the other post I realise my potassium is really low as is sodium and magnesium, so looking into that , as it stands its just exhausting doing a 15 min stationary bike ride and have to stop for breaks, sooooooo far from the fitness i had this time last year.
  • embersdream
    Options
    JennyToy wrote: »
    Going too low isn't good, but, some people need to go to low to see results. Just saying we just aren't all the same.
    thankyou! yep this is whats happening for me. was up around 1500 and nothing was happening. I just need results.
  • embersdream
    Options
    DAM5412 wrote: »

I think for the OP it actually is. She's having knee surgery and wants to be as light as possible beforehand. Overall I agree, slow and steady...but I can see her point and why she wants to lose as much as possible. However, I think too many and too frequent "tweaks" will only confuse her more and make it even harder for her to figure out what works best for her.

thanks for that . I think i have it sorted now hopefully ? I think it comes down to finding what works for each person. Im certaintly not starving.
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    "thanks for that . I think i have it sorted now hopefully ? I think it comes down to finding what works for each person. Im certaintly not starving.

^^^yep, agree^^^

'...in fact, long-term weight management is not driven by calorie counting, but rather by changing the way our body treats the food we eat (i.e., burning fat versus storing fat).
    As you’ll hear me say often, obesity is a disorder of inappropriately accumulating fat, not a disorder of eating too many calories...'
    ~DrPeterAttia:
    eatingacademy.com/quick-faq#count-calories