That first game that made you a gamer.

Options

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'm older than most of you guys, so my examples will be too.
    Anyways, the first thing I went nuts for was the Mattel Football handheld game.
    Mattel-Football-closeup.jpg
    Stunning graphics!
    I was 8 years old and it was my first computerized anything. Which blew my little mind, that I could have my own computer thing (just like Star Trek!). So I spent hundreds of hours on that.

A couple years later my family got an Apple II and I started playing Wizardry, one of the very first RPGs. This was fifth grade and my little geeky friends and I were already crazy about D&D so this was perfect.
    skeletons.jpg
    More stunning graphics!
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Probably Skyrim. And Warriors Orochi :)
  • x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I was handed a controller to an SNES at a young age because my mom was a single parent, and it was the best thing to distract me so she could get some peace and quite.

My first game was super mario brothers :)

I then played every title I could, and as technology progressed I got N64, Sega, Playstation you name it (was really into Star Ocean, FF series, Legend of Zelda, etc...)

Fast forward, when I met my husband (a PC gamer) he told me PC gaming was much better. After playing around a little bit and looking for games (free) my first MMO was Silk Road Online years ago. Having discovered I loved it I went on to other titles as they came out (EQ2, FF, WOW, etc...) I then decided he was correct, and ditched the console.

I suppose you can say I've been a gamer since the age of 5 >.<
  • styledsky
    styledsky Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm going to really show my age I reckon!

First game to get me on a "console" was a Hanimex system with a light gun to shoot a square box moving on the TV screen. To date I've never owned another console.

First games on a computer were on the C64. Many great titles I played over the years but I think the defining one was "Gateway to Apshai", but it's a tough call. I wonder how many others here played it?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_to_Apshai

For PC the first one to really seize my attention might have been Syndicate, but again, so many awesome games over the years. However, most fond PC memories in the early days belong to Scorched Earth, which was simply brilliant.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorched_Earth_(video_game)

Later life in PC gaming we hit RPG, FPS and MMO games. Bioware wins on the RPG stakes, I call Planescape: Torment as the best of them. Delta Force/DF2 were my picks for FPS, MMOs I played a lot and whilst I don't think WoW is the BEST of them its certainly the one I played the most.

Tabletop gaming was started by Battletech, currently playing Warmachine/Hordes more than anything else (which isn't much these days, I prefer to paint than play), but I have armies for many non-GW games.

HOWEVER, all that said, the games that have defined me as a gamer, since I was 8 years old to this day are pen & paper RPGs, and the king of those for me has been D&D. I've made international trips due to that game, and spent 20+ years working on my own game world. I DM two different groups currently and am always writing new stuff for my games.
  • feisty_bucket
    Options
    styledsky wrote: »
    the defining one was "Gateway to Apshai", but it's a tough call. I wonder how many others here played it?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_to_Apshai

Cool, yeah, I never played Gateway but spent some time on Temple of Apshai (the first in the series). I was a bit late to it though so wasn't experiencing it when it was new and groundbreaking. My fully-engrossing RPGs were Wizardry and then Ultima III.
    For PC the first one to really seize my attention might have been Syndicate

Great game! I played a lot of that on the Amiga.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Pitfall!
  • Windnancy
    Windnancy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ping pong that you plugged in on a tv...black screen, 2 white lines that you'd move on a remote with dial buttons haha!!!

More recently Dragons of Atlantis on fb, Dragon of Atlantis mobile, war of thrones mobile and currently playing stormfall mobile and bingo blitz :-)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Ultima III and Elite on my Commodore 64 probably hooked me. I don't think I ever really finished Elite though I came close. I'm tempted to try one of the ports just to see if I can complete it.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    dsmpunk wrote: »
    I would say Zork on my C64 or Below the Root. I wonder if anyone on here has even played Below the Root :p

Geez I forgot all infocom games. Those were fun.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Definitely Starcraft. Then Ultima Online. I had a Nintendo and a Sega before that, but never was (and still am not) at console games. PC games or nothing for me.
  • styledsky
    styledsky Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I missed Dune 2 in the mix of massively addicting games. That one was great!
  • lisenden
    lisenden Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was 10 years old in 1982 and the game was Advanced D&D for Intellivision.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Yeah I did forget Ms Pac-Man...
  • feisty_bucket
    Options
    lisenden wrote: »
    I was 10 years old in 1982 and the game was Advanced D&D for Intellivision.

I only got to play a little of that but I recall it being really impressive.

sofaking: I've been playing as much Ms. Pac-Man on my phone as anything else recently. When I was a kid, I'd just try and rush through the levels, ignoring points. I was a bad player. Now, I'm still a bad player but what's really compelling about that game is keeping your eye on all four ghosts and continually trying to think about your escape options. Which change constantly. It's really, really cool.

Funny pic from Reddit:
    ZLKYbO6.jpg
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I was in a fun guild on Ultima Online for quite a while. We didn't do much PVP but there was one time in a dungeon a group of PVPs jumped us. We were all on voice chat and several folks started to run. I killed one of the PVPs almost immediately and then just started cleaning house and told the others to come join the fun. I believe I had a patched sword at the time that made me Death Incarnate, and I enjoyed that thing as much as possible.

I would never just run around and attack people, but I would run around and jump in when I thought people were picking on someone. Good times.
  • AubrieCollins
    Options
    Does Hunt The Wumpus count? I started playing Bruce Lee on Atari when I was pretty young, too
  • didda1
    didda1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    We didn't even have a TV until I was 8 or 9 lol. I played a little bit of Mario and King's Quest at a friends, but never was interested in video games, until I was 15. We then got a SNES, and Final Fantasy III (VI technically, but the cartridge says III).
    I haven't looked back. I am a Final Fantasy nerd girl to the core. I have a Mog tattoo.
    I love RPGs, Zelda has a good spot in my soul, as do things like Brigandine, Ogre Battle, Xenogears, Dark Cloud, but FF is my gaming home.
    I've been playing FFXI (online) for 10 years now, all thanks to that wonderful SNES cartridge.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Pathfinder was what started me gaming currently. It was my gateway "drug" that let into WoW, Minecraft.
    Growing up I remember loving Oregon Trail and both Monkey Island and Manic Mansion. Oh, I also liked Diablo, and Never WInter Nights.
  • Kman4evah
    Kman4evah Posts: 67 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The game that probably made me a gamer was Runescape. I made an account (illegally since you had to be 13) back in 2006 and played that game religiously for about 4 years. It kinda felt the same was as the OP. Start off with nothing but a wooden sword, and before you know it you're off adventuring, killing giants, dragons, demons, and even giant cockroaches.
    I stopped playing once I was able to get my own WoW account, but Runescape was definitely my gateway into gaming.
  • galabrielle98
    galabrielle98 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Lego Star Wars for the Gameboy.