Losing with diet only.

Options
hoecradle
hoecradle Posts: 37 Member
I decided to cut most carbs out Jan.1st of this year. I weighed in with a wellness rep at 369.9 that first weigh in. To this date I have lost 24.9 pounds. Really the only carbs I eat is a little quinoa with my evening meal. No true consistent exercise yet.

I want to get consistent on an exercise routine really soon. Motivation seems to be a real problem for now.
I'm going to continue with my diet for now.

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Hello Lad_yb.

I am 57 yrs old, T2 diabetic, insulin resistant, metabolic syndrome. My muscles are atrophied. About all I can do is walk to the car to drive to my computer job. I started at 314 lbs and have lost 57 lbs since Aug 29th, 2014. I don't exercise at all. I don't walk, or do any activity (mowing grass, shoveling snow, etc). I will try to exercise when I lose 25 more pounds.

You don't have to exercise to lose weight. That's a myth. If I get a weight loss stall, I do a 24 hr. water fast.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

• Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I weight slightly less than you and I haven't bothered with exercise and am still losing. What I've been doing is increasing my activity level. Gardening, cleaning (I know, boring, but at least there a concrete reward for the activity and volunteering at the local school. We have a treadmill but the longest stint I've done is about 10 mins. I just hop on and off for a few minutes when I'm walking past. I figure even a few minutes is better than sitting on my butt. :)

On the bright side the patio is filling up with colourful potted flowers.
  • LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 25 pounds in 2 months without any exercise. I really focused on getting my food right and finding the low carb meals that worked best for me. I then started walking 15 minutes a day around the office (I have a computer job as well) and then gradually increased to 30 - 45 minutes a day 5 days a week.

I try to walk outside as much as I can because the fresh air helps wake me up and being in Maine I figure the cold air helps me burn more calories too!

• Jdkbs
    Jdkbs Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 24.9 lbs loss! Increase activity or add in exercise slowly when you feel inspired. Your off to a great start. :D
  • hoecradle
    Options
    I do lift overhead presses twice a week. I also do farmers carries with 53 pound KB's but not much and not consistent enough. I need motivation. I want to start rowing every am before work but I'm just not into it right now.
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 100lbs on diet alone eating keto (low carb, high fat, moderate protein).
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You can exercise to feel better, and to improve your health. But its not needed for weight loss. :) Congrats on the progress so far!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I just walk a min of a .25 mile a day outside of normal living walking. I had to rest many times but now I can do it non stop in under 10 minutes and do it daily unless ice is on the steep hill. After years of yo yo dieting this time I am doing NOTHING that I do not plan to do for the next 40 years.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Wow, CONGRATULATIONS on your success so far! 24.9 lbs is awesome!

I agree with radii, that weight loss comes from controlling our diets and that exercise is for fitness and well being. I feel stronger, better and more motivated when I am also working out. Transitioning into keto is tough, so lots of people do not work out the first few weeks on the diet, and that is okay, because for weight loss, you don't need to work out. When you do feel better (past the keto-flu stage, if it affects you), then why not add in exercise?

I love to walk and I live in a pretty hilly area. When the weather cooperates, I love to go for a 30-60 minute walk. That's between 3-5 miles for me and with the hills a real work out. But it's something anyone can do. I actually really miss walking in the winter time and can't wait for the snow to start melting and to get back out there. Shoveling, just not as enjoyable!

In any case, just go slow. Remember to stay hydrated, and watch your sodium/potassium levels. I see a lot of people saying how awful they feel after an intense work out on Keto, and that seems to be due to electrolyte imbalance.

Great Job!!

• hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! I have lost 27 lbs since December 22nd without any exercise. I am actually gonna start today to do some moderate exercise on the elliptical to get my cardio endurance back up and a little bit of calisthenics. I am sick of feeling tired every time I walk up a hill because I feel so weak. lol
  • ibetty55
    ibetty55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Start small and work your way up. Baby steps. Each rung of the ladder is a victory. Just remember that if you are a scale-a-holic adding exercise may look like a stall or even an increase so look for those NSV's
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Exercise is good. But Lad_Yb is 345 lbs. She stands a good chance of injuring herself at that weight. I hope you are careful Ladyb. Or you'll be in rehab for a long time if you injure yourself. You don't see many people exercise at that weight unless they are young and in a professional sport like football.

Dan the Man form Michigan
  • hoecradle
    Options
    I'm a 42 year old male who works a very physical job. Exercise injuries are not really an issue for me. It's a mental/motivational issue aka laziness after work.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    lad_yb wrote: »
    I'm a 42 year old male who works a very physical job. Exercise injuries are not really an issue for me. It's a mental/motivational issue aka laziness after work.

Sorry, I thought lad_yb was LADY
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Hello Lad_yb.

I am 57 yrs old, T2 diabetic, insulin resistant, metabolic syndrome. My muscles are atrophied. About all I can do is walk to the car to drive to my computer job. I started at 314 lbs and have lost 57 lbs since Aug 29th, 2014. I don't exercise at all. I don't walk, or do any activity (mowing grass, shoveling snow, etc). I will try to exercise when I lose 25 more pounds.

You don't have to exercise to lose weight. That's a myth. If I get a weight loss stall, I do a 24 hr. water fast.

I hope this helps,

• annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Dan. Don't put off the benefits of exercise on your mental health for another 25 lbs.
    Walk. That simple. Walk. Try 5 minutes, then 10 minutes , then 15 etc. Get an ipod and listen to NPR or music.
    Lose yourself in something that will change you in ways no weight loss can.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Dan. Don't put off the benefits of exercise on your mental health for another 25 lbs.
    Walk. That simple. Walk. Try 5 minutes, then 10 minutes , then 15 etc. Get an ipod and listen to NPR or music.
    Lose yourself in something that will change you in ways no weight loss can.

Thank you Annie for the cheerleading. I still need to lose the weight because I have a bad right knee and sciatic damage in my left hip. I tried to walk for 10 minutes last summer and I ended up on pain meds for a few days.

Everybody tells me to be patient and lose the weight first, then start... I did get a membership to Planet Fitness. (I went one eve for about 30 minutes, of which half of that time was devoted to cleaning the torture machines LOL!)

But lately I have been working two jobs (13-14 hrs a day). I think I am done with the evening job as of this week. Maybe I'll go and do some more machine cleaning and upper body work out...

Thank you,

P.S. You couldn't pay me $100 @ hour to listen to NPR. But Rush Limbaugh would be good to listen to. NPR would raise my blood pressure too much. >:)

• hoecradle
    Options
    Dan,
    No problem. I just noticed how the sign-on looks confusing did not even snap when I made it up.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You said you have a physical job, so you're already exercising? If you'd like to get started, what works for me is going to the gym before work. Yes it's wicked early, but I call it zombie mode, and then it's over and done with.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Diet is for weight loss. Exercise is for fitness.