Were you able to achieve a dramatic improvement in your marathon time? How?!

Options
arussell134
arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
A little about me: I've used to tell myself I'm just a slow runner or I only care about finishing, and guess what? I never ran much faster than a 10 minute mile. In the last 6-8 months or so, I've stopped telling myself that. Slowly worked on upping my mileage to about 20-30 miles/per week, incorporated hills, intervals, tempo runs, etc. and seen some real improvement.

Here's the thing - I'm beginning to dream of qualifying for Boston. I haven't told many people at all about this, b/c I'm afraid they'd laugh at me. My marathon PR was 5:09 and that was in 2004. Is this absolutely bonkers? Current PR for 5K is 26:24 (that was in the fall) and half is 2:09. I just hired a private running coach at this point to ask his opinion as well.

I'm also perfectly happy and willing to put in the work for several years to get there, too, including several marathon cycles. I know my pace would need to be considerably faster in order to actually shoot for something like this.

So maybe I have two questions, really - am I bonkers (LOL!)? and, second, have you experienced a dramatic breakthrough with your marathon time? If so, how did you achieve it? I'd love to hear some encouraging stories (whether or not they were BQs). TIA!!

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I feel like I answer a lot of questions this way but it's just the truth: miles! I think just upping your average weekly, monthly miles will give you great improvements.

There are other factors:
    -getting close to racing weight
    - adequate rest
    - Making sure most miles are YOUR easy pace
    - Adding strides and tempos once ready- and some fast finish long runs in the marathon cycle

• vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes. I started running to try to quit smoking about 6 years ago. I was pretty slow at first. I couldn't run more than 2 min... It was a huge struggle. It took me YEARS to even be able to run 5 miles lol.

I didn't attempt my first marathon until 2 years ago. I ran 4:10ish.. I brought it from 4:10 to 3:45 to 3:27 now down to 3:19. I expect that I will continue to get faster if I continue putting in the work. I think it helps immensely to be consistant. Mainly it's all about the miles. Running almost every day. Doing the work when no one is watching. You have to become a bit "crazy" a bit "obsessed" lol.. It has to become so much a part of your life that you don't even think twice about it. CONSISTANCY. You can get there if you are committed! You say you run 20-30 MPW- image what you could do off of 40 or 50! :-) it does not happen overnight but your coach should help get you there. I completely believe you can do it!

I had a "crazy" idea about a year ago. My current marathon pr was 3:43 and I hired a coach setting a goal of sub 3:25. People thought I wS crazy. I got laughed at. But I achieved it eventually! You will too!! You just need to commit :-)
  • arussell134
    Options
    I feel like I answer a lot of questions this way but it's just the truth: miles! I think just upping your average weekly, monthly miles will give you great improvements.

There are other factors:
    - adequate rest
    - Making sure most miles are YOUR easy pace
    - Adding strides and tempos once ready- and some fast finish long runs in the marathon cycle

Thank you. You confirmed what I suspected about upping mileage. I feel I would need to do this very gradually. I'm not interested in just "finishing" a marathon any more, so I'm in no rush to sign up for one in 2015 (and possibly, not until late 2016). I'm currently 134 and 5'6", but looking to get closer to the 125 range. I did notice a dramatic improvement in my time dropping 33 pounds last year.

Thanks for chiming in and the encouragement! Appreciated. ;)

• arussell134
    Options
    vcphil wrote: »
    Yes. I started running to try to quit smoking about 6 years ago. I was pretty slow at first. I couldn't run more than 2 min... It was a huge struggle. It took me YEARS to even be able to run 5 miles lol.

I didn't attempt my first marathon until 2 years ago. I ran 4:10ish.. I brought it from 4:10 to 3:45 to 3:27 now down to 3:19. I expect that I will continue to get faster if I continue putting in the work. I think it helps immensely to be consistant. Mainly it's all about the miles. Running almost every day. Doing the work when no one is watching. You have to become a bit "crazy" a bit "obsessed" lol.. It has to become so much a part of your life that you don't even think twice about it. CONSISTANCY. You can get there if you are committed! You say you run 20-30 MPW- image what you could do off of 40 or 50! :-) it does not happen overnight but your coach should help get you there. I completely believe you can do it!

I had a "crazy" idea about a year ago. My current marathon pr was 3:43 and I hired a coach setting a goal of sub 3:25. People thought I wS crazy. I got laughed at. But I achieved it eventually! You will too!! You just need to commit :-)

I love you so much for this post, LOL. I have been running 5-6 days a week at this mileage for about 4-5 months now. I am OK with it not happening overnight, that's one of the things that makes me think I might be able to do this.

I am definitely able to commit to this as a long-term goal and be consistent.

I'm also glad to hear what you were able to do with a coach! I'm excited for the chance to meet with mine next month.

Thanks for chiming in here.

• karenfaber
    karenfaber Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I ran between 4:30 and 5 hour marathons for three or four years. Then I had to take a several month break from running (injury) and I gained about 15 pounds. When I came back I couldn't even break 5 hours. I lost 30 pounds and ran a 4:12 using an intermediate Higdon plan. And then I upped my miles. I trained for a 50 miler in July of 2012, so I was running 50-60 miles per week. No speed work or anything, just more miles. That October I BQ'd (I'm an old lady, so only need a 3:55 to quality). Once I was running decent mileage, I added in speed work, intervals, etc., and brought my time down to 3:42 using Hanson's advanced. Then I kept the quality workouts and upped the mileage even more, topping out at 80 miles per week (Pfitz 12/70 with some extra miles thrown in). That's how I got my PR of 3:33. That was fall of 2013.

I had to cancel my fall marathon attempt (wanted sub-3:30) due to PF, and have just now been able to get my mileage back up. I won't be in 3:30 shape for my spring marathon, but with enough of a mileage buildup I hope to get there this fall.

Prior to 2012, I used to joke that I'd age into a BQ and get to Boston when I was 80. More miles, and I was able to BQ at 45, then get a BQ-20 at 46, and hopefully a BQ-25 before I go up another age group.
  • arussell134
    Options
    karenfaber wrote: »
    I ran between 4:30 and 5 hour marathons for three or four years. Then I had to take a several month break from running (injury) and I gained about 15 pounds. When I came back I couldn't even break 5 hours. I lost 30 pounds and ran a 4:12 using an intermediate Higdon plan. And then I upped my miles. I trained for a 50 miler in July of 2012, so I was running 50-60 miles per week. No speed work or anything, just more miles. That October I BQ'd (I'm an old lady, so only need a 3:55 to quality). Once I was running decent mileage, I added in speed work, intervals, etc., and brought my time down to 3:42 using Hanson's advanced. Then I kept the quality workouts and upped the mileage even more, topping out at 80 miles per week (Pfitz 12/70 with some extra miles thrown in). That's how I got my PR of 3:33. That was fall of 2013.

I had to cancel my fall marathon attempt (wanted sub-3:30) due to PF, and have just now been able to get my mileage back up. I won't be in 3:30 shape for my spring marathon, but with enough of a mileage buildup I hope to get there this fall.

Prior to 2012, I used to joke that I'd age into a BQ and get to Boston when I was 80. More miles, and I was able to BQ at 45, then get a BQ-20 at 46, and hopefully a BQ-25 before I go up another age group.

LOVE IT. This is exactly the kind of story I was hoping to hear.

So everyone has said - more miles, consistency, patience. ;) Got it!

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Thank you. You confirmed what I suspected about upping mileage. I feel I would need to do this very gradually. I'm not interested in just "finishing" a marathon any more, so I'm in no rush to sign up for one in 2015 (and possibly, not until late 2016). I'm currently 134 and 5'6", but looking to get closer to the 125 range. I did notice a dramatic improvement in my time dropping 33 pounds last year.

This is one of the smartest posts I've seen in a while. It sounds like you "get it", so you will be fine. You are doing all of the right things. As others have said, mileage, mileage, mileage, but upping it slowly is also important. I picked up a copy of Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 and I found it to be extremely helpful. I was like you and ran 9:30-10 min mile races for YEARS without ever thinking of improvement. After I ran my first full marathon in 2013, I wanted to increase my speed. I just ran a 3:52 marathon last month. I started by building a 30-35 mile/week base and took it from there, but I never exceeded 50 miles/wk during my training. Hoping to BQ (3:45) in the fall, and my focus will be on adding more miles into the 50-60 range.
  • arussell134
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

This is one of the smartest posts I've seen in a while. It sounds like you "get it", so you will be fine. You are doing all of the right things. As others have said, mileage, mileage, mileage, but upping it slowly is also important. I picked up a copy of Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 and I found it to be extremely helpful. I was like you and ran 9:30-10 min mile races for YEARS without ever thinking of improvement. After I ran my first full marathon in 2013, I wanted to increase my speed. I just ran a 3:52 marathon last month. I started by building a 30-35 mile/week base and took it from there, but I never exceeded 50 miles/wk during my training. Hoping to BQ (3:45) in the fall, and my focus will be on adding more miles into the 50-60 range.

Wonderful - and thanks for the kind words. ;)

I have been racing for the past 15+ years, so I'm beyond "I just want to finish!" I've already BTDT, multiple times, lol.

Again, I really appreciate your encouraging words - and I love your story, too!! I hope you hit that BQ. I keep visualizing how I'd feel crossing the finish line of a marathon I BQ'd at, and it's a pretty amazing daydream!! Good luck!

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Read my bio. I ran my first marathon before I was ready. I kinda got cocky after running a pretty good timed half. I crashed and burned and took a year away from the marathon distance and instead ran shorter races while building my easy mileage base. At my subsequent marathon, I shaved an hour off my time. To put things into perspective though, I had 600 lifetime miles going into my first, and was running an inconsistent 20-25MPW. My second, I had almost 2500 lifetime miles, and was running a consistent 45-50MPW. I'm currently training for a marathon on April 18th, and will have over 4000 lifetime miles and am running a consistent 55-65 MPW with a dedicated long run, midweek long run, and speed day, running 6-7 days a week, doubles, etc. Rome wasn't built in a day, but the time does fly by if you're motivated.
  • arussell134
    Options
    Read my bio. I ran my first marathon before I was ready. I kinda got cocky after running a pretty good timed half. I crashed and burned and took a year away from the marathon distance and instead ran shorter races while building my easy mileage base. At my subsequent marathon, I shaved an hour off my time. To put things into perspective though, I had 600 lifetime miles going into my first, and was running an inconsistent 20-25MPW. My second, I had almost 2500 lifetime miles, and was running a consistent 45-50MPW. I'm currently training for a marathon on April 18th, and will have over 4000 lifetime miles and am running a consistent 55-65 MPW with a dedicated long run, midweek long run, and speed day, running 6-7 days a week, doubles, etc. Rome wasn't built in a day, but the time does fly by if you're motivated.

Very inspiring what patience & hard work can do!! :) Thanks so much for sharing.

You all have convinced me to work up upping my mileage. I've got 2 5Ks right now I'm working on (one tomorrow, one March 14th) and then a half marathon on May 3rd. I think this would be an excellent time to start bumping it up.

Anyone have thoughts on what a good build up looks like? An extra 5 miles per week added per month, with maybe every 3rd week backing down a bit? UNtil I'm where? I'm the 40-50 mile range?

Thanks

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I concur.

Far too many people want to run a BQ right now and aren't willing to put in the work, or to even understand that work is required to get there.

I never had a huge breakthrough marathon. I waited for about 7 years before I ran my first marathon and ran 3:38. I ran 3:26 the next year, then have a mini breakthrough and ran 3:12 the following year, qualifying for Boston. I ran 3:10 the following year before running into some injury issues that I am just now getting on the other side of.

I ran high mileage to get there, averaging over 50 miles a week for several years. 85% of that mileage was at my easy pace, falling between 8:45 and 10:00 miles with a little tempo and some strides added in.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Anyone have thoughts on what a good build up looks like? An extra 5 miles per week added per month, with maybe every 3rd week backing down a bit? UNtil I'm where? I'm the 40-50 mile range?

Thanks

Did you say you engaged with a coach? ;)

• JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    CarsonRuns wrote: »

I concur.

Far too many people want to run a BQ right now and aren't willing to put in the work, or to even understand that work is required to get there.

I never had a huge breakthrough marathon. I waited for about 7 years before I ran my first marathon and ran 3:38. I ran 3:26 the next year, then have a mini breakthrough and ran 3:12 the following year, qualifying for Boston. I ran 3:10 the following year before running into some injury issues that I am just now getting on the other side of.

I ran high mileage to get there, averaging over 50 miles a week for several years. 85% of that mileage was at my easy pace, falling between 8:45 and 10:00 miles with a little tempo and some strides added in.

You just shattered my Boston dreams. I thought it would be easy. :#:p

• arussell134
    Options

Thanks

I'm meeting with a coach on March 7th. See, I'm patient, but I'm also not patient. LOL! ;)
  • arussell134
    Options

I concur.

Well, I've done three marathons before and two of them sucked. Bad. So no one needs to tell me twice that I'm probably not going to run a sub 3-hour on my next attempt! Bwahahaha!

I am even thinking it might be prudent, with the help of the coach, to make step-down marathon goals. Like maybe my next marathon goal should be 4:30. Once I've met that successfully and just gotten the feel of how to pace the distance, step down to another goal.

But who knows, I'll probably defer to his ideas once we've met and discussed last race times & goals.

In the meantime - thanks everyone for advice & encouragement.

• CarsonRuns
    Options

Thanks

I'm meeting with a coach on March 7th. See, I'm patient, but I'm also not patient. LOL! ;)

I could give you a nice build up plan, but if you are going to be using a coach, I'll let him guide you along the way. Just as a general rule, what I suggest is to go up in mileage for two weeks, then cut back for one week, increase for two more weeks, then cut back. I try not to increase by more than 10% at a time, but it's difficult sometimes. So, a build up cycle might looks something like this.

• arussell134
    Options

Thanks

I could give you a nice build up plan, but if you are going to be using a coach, I'll let him guide you along the way. Just as a general rule, what I suggest is to go up in mileage for two weeks, then cut back for one week, increase for two more weeks, then cut back. I try not to increase by more than 10% at a time, but it's difficult sometimes. So, a build up cycle might looks something like this.

Great! I love that that seems gradual and do-able.

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

This is a huge help in running faster. Judging by your profile pic it may not be a big issue for you. I had two breakthroughs in my running: one was loosing ~20 lbs and the other was being introduced to track workouts.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    s and the other was being introduced to track workouts.

Now I'm curious! :-) Care to share your breakthrough story and maybe a link or something wrt track workouts?

• CarsonRuns
    Options
    s and the other was being introduced to track workouts.

Now I'm curious! :-) Care to share your breakthrough story and maybe a link or something wrt track workouts?

Speed/track workouts have a very limited effectiveness if you don't have the aerobic base to support it, which you get from weeks and months of easy running.