Looking for New MFP Friends for Motivation and Accountability

Options

Replies

• Pippin
    Pippin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 50 and have been using MFP for several years but in 2014 I got off track and now I'm trying to get back. I don't follow any particular diet but rather just try to eat healthy and eat less. I've started adding friends, hoping that accountability will help. For exercise I swim, walk and do yoga. This is the first group I've joined and I'm looking forward to connecting with others around the same age/stage of life. I would be happy to have any of you add me as a friend.
  • Mauigirl62
    Options
    I'm new to MFP but am an old Weight Watchers dropout. I have lost weight every time I put my mind to it but unfortunately the last 4 or 5 years I just haven't even tried. I am hoping to finally do something about it and get back some energy!
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding everyone! Sorry I haven't been on. I hate the new MFP for the group threads. It just not as easy to follow anymore. I will try to add you all. I am starting fresh again as of the 5th - then I got that sick/flu stuff and I stayed with the eating plan pretty good - but am just now getting back to the exercise. I try to post on the news feeds my updates, but I don't use the food log since I've been doing 21 day fix. I'm hoping to get in better shape before my doctors appointment next month because it totally freaked me out thinking I had high blood pressure.
  • Justme8888
    Justme8888 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    WOW, I am so glad that I found this group. I am brand new to the site, almost 51 and truly fed up with the menopause bulge! I would be happy with losing 30 pounds. I try to get to the gym at least three times a week for Barre class which I love. YES I need to add cardio and I am taking baby steps. Feel free to add me and kick me in the butt. :)
  • anndieringer
    Options
    Hello! Yesterday was my 57th birthday, yikes! I had a hysterectomy along with several other pelvic repairs. I've gained 10 since April added to the 25 I gained while worrying and caring for my elderly parents who have recently passed. I can't believe how difficult it is to budge my scale! I'm using MFP and bought a scale. Looking forward to meeting everyone and getting fired up!
  • suemichele
    suemichele Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hello! Yesterday was my 57th birthday, yikes! I had a hysterectomy along with several other pelvic repairs. I've gained 10 since April added to the 25 I gained while worrying and caring for my elderly parents who have recently passed. I can't believe how difficult it is to budge my scale! I'm using MFP and bought a scale. Looking forward to meeting everyone and getting fired up!

Hello! Happy Belated Birthday! Sorry to hear about your parents. I will be 57 in May and agree it is difficult to budge the scale! I try to workout at least 3 times a week. Cant wait till spring to be able to get outdoors!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Great to see all these new faces! Anyone feel free to send me a friend request if you want.

I'm on a 940 day log in streak and training for my first half marathon. Been maintaining (ish) for over a year now. I don't always comment on friend's posts, but I'm always watching. Over the last 6 weeks, I've decided my maintenance goal needs to be more like 1400 calories. :neutral_face:
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    Great to see some new people here! Ugh - so I go for about 1 1/2 with no period and no symptoms and then boom the last week I woke up soaking wet and of course started yesterday and it is like a dam burst. I so want to be over this! I have a gyn appt in February but honestly he just checks to make sure nothing is wrong but doesn't really give me a lot of relief in this area. He suggests Lexipro, birth control, estroven, all of which I have tried. I guess its just a wait until it ends thing!
  • Bikerchickmomma
    Bikerchickmomma Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've been an avid bicyclist. About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease. As we age, we all are subject to it. Mine decided to get nasty on me. I will be having a lower lumbar spinal fusion next week. The last few months have been so frustrating. I am use to being strong, independent, and capable. Presently, I have difficulty walking through my house without hanging onto something for support. I guess I just want to put it out there for all you great ladies to appreciate your abilities and the fitness you are all working so hard to achieve. I am SO looking forward to my rehab after the surgery to gain back what I've lost. I will try to log in and post my progress. At this time, my Dr. told me I should be back on my bike in 5 months. I can't wait. Keep smiling and never give up!!
  • patpiepoli
    patpiepoli Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm pretty new to MFP but have enjoyed reading everyone's posts. I'm 55 yrs old. I lost 50 lbs doing weight watchers about 6 yrs ago. I put back on 30 and am finding it much harder to lose now. I 'm a nurse and spend some long hours on my feet so I'm hoping to get the weight off and improve my fitness so I'm not so wiped out at the end of my shift. I recently joined a gym and have been doing some interval training on the elliptical. My husband talked me into having a trainer to make me more accountable. (Guess he knows me too well). I'm justifying the expense with the thought that being healthy is much less $$ in the long run. I'd love the support of others and hopefully to be supportive too. :D
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hello!!! It's wonderful to see some new faces.....welcome!!!!
    Bikerchick good luck with your procedure...hope all goes well!!!

Anyone feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like :smile:
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    Hi! I posted another thread about maybe setting up an accountability group -- check it out and let me know what you guys think.
  • DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I've been around for a couple of years on MFP. I lost an initial 40 lbs, and put 10 back on. I'm looking to lose up to 35 more lbs...but dang... it doesn't come off like it used to! I'm 55, recently retired, and trying to keep active. Joined the gym in January, but it's 35 kms. away and some days are just too cold to be on the highway (to go to Winnipeg, Canada...where the gym is), on those days I try to shovel the driveway to get my exercise in. I had a Body composition analysis at the wellness institute (my gym) that said that my Basal Metabolic Rate is at 1377 calories. MFP calories says I should be eating 1290 for a weight loss of 1 lb per week... I have not lost any in a couple of months at this number. I have tried going up in calories to see if this would help, but alas, I have gained a couple of more lbs. when I have done this. (Love my carbs) I have always thought that if I want to lose weight to go protein and veggies and ditch the carbs....anyone else having the same problem losing??

Anyhow, you look like a bunch of great people and I would love to have some others to share this journey with, please add me if you would like some support as well.

Diana
  • LSamara
    LSamara Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Diana. I am experiencing the same problem and tweaking my calories hasn't helped. I am being told by my trainer that I am probably trading fat for muscle, so my scale isn't moving, but my weight stays the same as my strength increases. True enough I lost inches, but no pounds. Have you taken measurements?
  • suzyh04
    suzyh04 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, It's seem that when you hit the age 50 things seem to just slow down.. I'm 52. I joined a gym the end of Oct 2014 and I'm still going and working at losing 15 lbs..

I just started tracking my food this week and I have found out that I'm not eating enough food. Crazy huh! I eat healthy food to where the calories are just not there. So I think I'm going to start adding 1 or 2 protein shakes a day. I will continue to track to see what happens.

My work out is 1hr and 20min each day. I have an office position where I sit all day and going to the gym is how I get my activity. I must say that I feel good, I just wish I could get the weight off. I just have to keep at it and not give up and find what works best for my body.
  • smilebhappy
    Options
    Hello Suzy....Welcome!! :)
  • tavmom2014
    tavmom2014 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'll be 48 on Tuesday. I enjoy exercising , but seem to give my family and work my time...i have Yo-yo with my weight all my life until 5 yrs ago when I was diagnosed with uterine cancer. I had surgery. Was immediately sent into menopause and waa-laa no more yo- yo just steady weight! I also have acquired a huge incisional hernia because I didn't rest and take care of myself after my surgery... I am trying to get back into running and I find keeping a food diary is very helpful... Almost crucial for me. I am afraid to do any core strengthening... Which sort of sound contradicting.. But my surgeon said I can not have hernia repair until I lose weight! I'm confused, distraught at times but remain determined! Is there anyone else out there that has a similar situation? I'm getting frustrated with the pity / disbelief looks from other people when I ask for diet and exercise tips. These people include my doctors and personal trainer that I tried....
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi gals! I am 50 and I have been on here for a few years- although every so often I fall off the wagon with my logging, so my current streak is only 133 days. In these years I have lost very little weight (12 pounds) several inches, (mostly boobs!), 2 pants sizes; but found a love of running and pushing myself, some new muscle, and some great friends on this site who inspire me. My goal weight is just a number. This is not a temporary thing, this is a way of life! I would welcome anyone who is on this same journey as a friend!
  • suzyh04
    suzyh04 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you! SmileBHappy
  • smilebhappy
    Options
    suzyh04 wrote: »
    Thank you! SmileBHappy
    ;) You are welcome Suzy!!

Welcome to tavmom & cindaymom!! :D

Anyone feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like :)