Looking for New MFP Friends for Motivation and Accountability

Options
13»

Replies

• tavmom2014
    tavmom2014 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Funny story( I hope it sounds as funny as it was!...) I haven't had a hot flash in a long while. Oh, I've felt " warm" but not the moist , "omg it's fooling down my cheeks in public" sort of flash...so hubs and I sit down in church. Child is whisked away to Their lesson and all of a sudden...yep, major hot flash! Back of my neck, brow and temple all at once, all big sweatlets!! Well luckily I was on an end. I stepped outside. Greeted a few people- very quickly- and ahhh...stepped out in the -9 degree winter air sure I got a few odd looks from people coming in the building. But just smiled opened the door and welcomed them in. After about 5 minutes I stepped inside just behind a young couple.totally cooled.totally dried.
    - After the service on our way to the youth class this young man tapped me on the shoulder. I turned and saw a face full of concern and hesitation. He started out by saying..." I am so sorry ." Me- "hmmm?" He went on" this morning.you held the door open for us( nodded to a young woman) but then you entered behind us. You, you well didn't have a coat on.... I should have held the door for you. It is so cold out. I didn't show any manners." I didn't know how to respond! The tell it to them straight..." oh that's fine I was having a hot flash!" Or a more subtle approach full of lies..." No worries I was closer to the door, I left my coat in the car, I was looking for someone but didn't see them...." I chose the truth. I was having a hot flash! He replied" oh. Good." The young woman laughed and nodded... I could tell by their expressions that they had no idea what I was talking about, nor why this crazy lady was standing in sub degree temps...God bless them!
  • patpiepoli
    patpiepoli Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    :) great story tavmom! Feel free to send a friend request if you want.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    @Tavmom2014 LOL that is a great story!

I have yet had this happen to me in public but I have been getting more lately at night. Wake up in middle of night wet (yuck!) end up sleeping (when able to get back to sleep) with no covers on! So not like me at all...I normally have loads of covers on (lol) My hubby wakes up in night sees me w/no covers & throws them back on lol ;)
  • memere101
    memere101 Posts: 461 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone on this snowy Virginia day. I'm just getting back to using MFP and was excited to see a community of women like myself. I am 52 years old and had a total hysterectomy a few weeks before my 40th birthday. I had 5 kids and several abdominal surgeries which has left me with a not so lovely belly. I have been working on losing my extra weight since mid August and I have managed to lose about 30 pounds, still would like to lie another 15. But more importantly than the weight, I would like to firm up and get as healthy as possible. Even though hubby says the belly is fine, it really bothers me
  • smilebhappy
    Options
    Good morning memere....welcome!!! :)
  • queen4elm
    queen4elm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good morning me mere. I too, am in snow covered Virginia. Enjoy your day
  • zenobiamd
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I am happy to find you all. I joined MFP a week ago after not losing any weight after 3 weeks of determined dieting and exercising. I didn't want to track my calories; I just wanted to "eat healthy". I'm getting panicked about the difficulty I'm having losing weight! :o I had gained a couple of holiday pounds, and I thought those would at least come off easily. I'm 50; I've been able to mostly manage my menopausal symptoms, but my hormones go out of whack every now and then. My big issue right now is waking up at 2 or 3 in the AM with "warm flashes" and not being able to go back to sleep. I'm not sleeping much, but I'm not too tired either.

I'm mostly following Dr. Furhman's "Eat to Live" except that I have added meat and a little dairy back in (yogurt and small amount of cheese). I eat very little processed food and make soups from scratch.

I'm slow walking (2.6 to 2.8) on the treadmill while reading; I find it gives me energy instead of tiring me out. I work out intensely with a trainer one a week and do circuit weights one or twice a week.

I want to lose 40 pounds. Help! :)
  • SueFosh
    SueFosh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Sue and I'm 60. I've been logging in my food for about a week and I'd like to lose 30-40 lbs. My husband had major surgery a few months back, changed his way of eating completely and is currently 20 lbs lighter than I am! Guess it's time for me to get serious. I don't have major menopause symptoms much any more, for which I am extremely glad. I enjoy walking and biking for cardio, strength training and yoga. However, I currently don't belong to a gym and it's too darn cold to go outside and exercise. I can't believe that it's only 30 days until spring!!!
  • suzyh04
    suzyh04 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone and welcome to all the newcomers. It is great to read all of your stories. We are all in the same boat.. lol Well, I started the protein shakes this week and I'm making my own juice to mix with it. I'm using carrots, spinach, ginger root and pears or apples for the juice. I must say it taste pretty good.
    Since I have been working out everyday, it has been helping me sleep better and I'm not having the "hot flashes" like I was. I have more trouble with "hot flashes" in the winter. I don't notice them as much in the summer. I can't wait to go fishing!
  • smilebhappy
    Options
    Hi Sue! Don't you just hate that...hubby being lighter than you. Doesn't seem fair! lol ;)@Suzy your juice sounds yummy!!

I need to remember when I exercise I not only feel better but it does help me sleep better/lessens times wake up for hours on end (sometimes w/hot flashes).....

I think we are ALL ready for Spring too get here....such a long cold snowy Winter...so over it!! I am looking forward to just getting outside in the sun! Start walking outside eventually working on running again :smiley:
  • suzyh04
    Options
    Hi Smilebhappy, I have been trying really hard to eat as much fresh food than ever. You can get some of the recipes off this site www.rebootwithjoe.com to make your juice.
  • kpush910
    kpush910 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My name is Kristen & I'll be 50 this year. I've generally eat well, and exercise regularly during the week, then the weekend comes, and forget it! Husband can eat anything, and would never gain weight - so he's like, "let's order pizza" - want to go out for a burger?? I'm not too far off my goal, so he tells me "you look great" - but I would be more comfortable if I could lose 10-15 lbs (off my hips and thighs please;) I get bored doing the same work out all the time, so I like to mix it up. My activities include weight training, Cross fit, jogging, yoga & seasonal outdoor activities like xc skiing and bicycling. I've always been pretty active and able to eat a lot, but in the last several years my metabolism has definitely slowed down and my weight creeps up 3-4 lbs a year. Time to get the will power to eat less of the foods I love.
  • suzyh04
    Options
    Hi Kristen and welcome!
  • suemichele
    suemichele Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My name is Sue and I will be 57 this year. That is a cute story tavmom. I still have some hot flashes and have to say I do like being able to step outside in the cold! I live in Wisconsin. Finding it hard to lose the weight around the belly! Looking forward to spring to be able to get out and ride my bike. In the meantime I have been doing some water exercises and trying to get some walking in! Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    SO EXCITED.... the scale has started it's descent!!! My post ( third from the top was lamenting that the scale does NOT move....that was Feb 11th... I threw myself into exercise at the gym (unprecedented for me) and have walked 6 miles and cycled 15 miles in the month of February...and lifted weights...and low and behold... I am an achy sore mess most days...but the scale is a goin' down YAAAAA!!!!!! Just had to share that with y'all.
  • smilebhappy
    Options
    Welcome Sue!!!
    Way to go Diana!!....that is awesome!!! :D
    What's your goal for March??
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Diana - I increased my workouts in February and noticed the scale has started moving as well. I guess this it was it takes for me at the stage of my life to lose weight.

Karen
  • DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sue!!!
    Way to go Diana!!....that is awesome!!! :D
    What's your goal for March??

Well...for March I'm going to up the weights on the weight machines... I would like to try free weights in a month or two, but the bar itself for free weights is 45lbs.... and that is my weight limit on the machines now... so I need to up my game so that I can try the free weights ( with some weight on them) I think I'll stick to 2 miles walking (maybe jogging?) and 5 miles bike as more would mean longer at the gym. I'm there 1.5 hours 3x per week as it is.... I don't want to be spending all day there...(although it is an extraordinary facility.)
  • AussieDragonfly
    AussieDragonfly Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Following along here in this group happy to add anyone :)
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Me too, following and accepting FR requests. :-) 46 yr perimenopause- partial hysto-need to lost 30lbs, fighting the spare tire that is now sitting on my frame. I exercise 6 days a week, as I enjoy it. Trying to figure out what macro's I need to help lose. :-)