Ladies only! please help

Options
nicolejo143
nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
My sports bra recently started chafing me so bad! Today was horrible. I have a big red line across the front of my ribs where the band was. Its painful to touch right now, it feels like a sunburn. It looks my bra tried to cut me in half! A few days a similar thing happened except the band had actually slipped up and chaffed my boob instead of my ribs. I'm not sure why this is happening to me, its never happened before in the past. All of my bras are the same brand, model and size. They aren't that old either, like they aren't stretched out or anything. This just started happening this past week and I'm not sure what has changed other than I slightly upped my milage. Does anybody else have this problem? How do I prevent chafing? Also, is there something I can do to make this feel less horrible in the meantime?

Replies

• alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    When I started running long distances, I had to stop buying cheap, cotton sports bras and started buying ones made of nicer fabric that were actually made for running. RunningWarehouse.com has a great sale section.

Not much you can do about it after the fact - if you give it a few days, the rubbed skin will dry out, probably scab over, and stop hurting. On really long runs or runs in the rain, I like to apply BodyGlide to my skin under the straps and bottom band of my sports bras.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I got nothing for you. I sometimes get the redline on my ribs but I think its from my older bra...

Vaseline should work just as well as BodyGlide and is way cheaper. I use it for the Avon Walks
  • vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Usually get this after 2 hour+ runs. I got nothing for you lol
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I practically have scars from this. Vaseline helps a bit, but the best advice is to find at least one good bra that is comfy and causes the least friction and wear it for all of your long runs. I have a sports bra that clasps in the back rather than the traditional pull-over-the -head type and it seems to have less elastic and causes the least amount of chafing.
  • maryliscious
    maryliscious Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've started to get cuts on my boobs. I tried body glide and it didn't help. I'm buying a new sports bra. I'm hoping that will help.
  • sgonzalezblanco
    sgonzalezblanco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue. Between the rubbing from the bra and the heart rate monitor it gets hard to focus on running when all I can think about is how much my chest/ribs hurt. I was buying my sports bras at Marshalls and TJ Maxx, but I think now I'll try spending a little more to see if it will help alleviate the issue.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I went through a LOT of sports bras before I found one that doesn't chafe, so I bought about 8 of them. Even so, I get a red line if I'm going ~15+. Moving Comfort destroyed me. It's really unfortunate that it's a trial and error thing, since they're so expensive and there's no way you can return a bra that you've run in for 2 hours.

BodyGlide helps but doesn't totally solve the problem for me. You can also take chapstick or a mini tub of vaseline with you and apply midway through.
  • suetorrence
    suetorrence Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    When I was in the process of losing a large amount of weight I had to buy new running bras quite often. And as been offered already, I use BodyGlide in those areas that will chafe (even with a good running bra) for longer runs. Our local running store has a woman who knows how to correctly fit a running bra and since consulting with her I haven't had a problem.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    alikonda wrote: »
    When I started running long distances, I had to stop buying cheap, cotton sports bras and started buying ones made of nicer fabric that were actually made for running.

^This. I started having chafing problems training for my first half. I bought one designed for running and was lucky that the first one worked for me (Moving Comfort Fiona). I ran my half with no chafing. Like someone else mentioned, this one hooks in the back. I did start getting chafing again once it started to wear out.

• lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I agree with bodyglide. I have scars from before I realized I needed it. After the fact...it sounds weird, but diaper rash cream helps. Or if you don't have small kids around and don't want to buy diaper rash cream, aquafor will help some.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Daisy471 wrote: »
    alikonda wrote: »
    When I started running long distances, I had to stop buying cheap, cotton sports bras and started buying ones made of nicer fabric that were actually made for running.

^This. I started having chafing problems training for my first half. I bought one designed for running and was lucky that the first one worked for me (Moving Comfort Fiona). I ran my half with no chafing. Like someone else mentioned, this one hooks in the back. I did start getting chafing again once it started to wear out.

Body glide is my best friend for long runs. I swear I have three or four "bottles" of it laying around the house. I also second the moving comfort Fiona...LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Daisy471 wrote: »
    Body glide is my best friend for long runs. I swear I have three or four "bottles" of it laying around the house. I also second the moving comfort Fiona...LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

Thats actually the same bra I have! Its been good to me for a long time, so last year I actually bought 3 new ones to replace my older ones. But now that same bra is killing me for some reason. :disappointed: I am also large chested which makes my sports bra shopping more expensive and more limited.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Is there any chance you are losing or gaining weight? Even losing weight could be the problem, if your boobs and ribs aren't holding the band in place anymore.
  • MountainMaggie
    MountainMaggie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I love Nike as far as sports bras go. But chafing comes with running, especially longer distances. Vaseline maybe? I use Burts Bees hand cream sometimes in chafing areas. I also have a permanent sideboob "tattoo" from chafing. I like to think of it as a trophy or battle scar. But I have little boobs. And I'm grateful for that now that I run long distances. Probably not the best person to ask for bra advice.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My sports bra recently started chafing me so bad! Today was horrible. I have a big red line across the front of my ribs where the band was. Its painful to touch right now, it feels like a sunburn. It looks my bra tried to cut me in half! A few days a similar thing happened except the band had actually slipped up and chaffed my boob instead of my ribs. I'm not sure why this is happening to me, its never happened before in the past. All of my bras are the same brand, model and size. They aren't that old either, like they aren't stretched out or anything. This just started happening this past week and I'm not sure what has changed other than I slightly upped my milage. Does anybody else have this problem? How do I prevent chafing? Also, is there something I can do to make this feel less horrible in the meantime?

1) Are you wearing a correct bra? You mentioned you bought 3 new ones based on your previous experience. However if you have bought same size and if meanwhile you have either gained or lost weight around chest area you probably want to look into it.
    2) If you are wearing correct fitted bra, apply body glide prior to run
    3) For already aggravated and chafed skin apply a good Coconut Oil at night prior to sleeping and wear loose tee. Let the chafed part of the skin breathe
    4) When selecting a Coconut Oil please, please read the ingredients. The only ingredient it should have is "Coconut Oil".

IMHO the best bra for women for running is Moving Comfort which anyway you are using. However here is my little experience - I wear Moving's Vixen and there was this just one, just one bra that I bought that just won't fit. Turns out that entire manufactured lot was defective. This is just one time that it has ever happened for me in my "relation" with Moving Comfort. ;)

EDTA : Moving Comfort recommends Maia (has a hook behind) or Vixen for C and Ds.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    the same thing happened to me after i'd lost some weight, and increased my mileage on my long runs. i had to buy new, pricier sports bras. while waiting for it to heal, i slathered it with neosporin and covered it up with bandaids when i ran. i also moved my heart rate monitor down below the band of the sports bra.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Yep, the same thing happens to me. It's the 1 thing that I dislike out of the 100 amazing things about the bras I get. I just use vaseline for anything longer than an hour and slather it all over my underboobs and ribcage where the bottom of my bra goes. (Note: I also use gratuitous vaseline on my feet and inner thighs, and I am mostly chafe/blister free for months now.)
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like the bras just don't fit any more. Especially if the band rode up and chafed your boob.
  • sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yeah this also happened to me when I lost some weight. The girls were bouncing more and bam - so much pain. I bought new bras (same model) in a smaller size and no more major problems. I aquaphor around any places that have been hot spots in the past before long runs. Also taking off your bra ASAP after a workout is helpful.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I use Shock Absorber running bras and have found them fantastic but not the cheapest. Nothing moves (and I'm still pretty big on top). I have found though that they need replacing as often as my trainers. Who said running was a cheap sport?!