introducing myself

Options
Hi, my name's Renee! I'm here in hopes to learn about carbs what's considered good & what's bad. I need to learn all I can as much as I can as I am now borderline diabetic & my mom is severely diabetic. I need to learn about carbs and sugar but sugars are the easy part. I can't wait to meet all of ya'll!

Replies

• nr650
    nr650 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Welcome Renee! I think you'll find a ton of really good information on these boards. I'm fairly new here and have spent a lot of time reading the information and found it very, very helpful! Good Luck!
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Renee! You've found a source of great support in this forum. Make sure that you read the LCD Launchpad at the very top of the posting page. This great tool was put together by some extremely knowledgeable, dedicated, and very helpful folks and is meant for people just like you: those new to this WOE (way of eating) who want to learn how to get a handle on their health by utilizing a low carb diet.

That being said, the awesome people on this board won't do the homework for you...you have to be willing to educate yourself by researching everything you can get your hands on that deals with this WOE. You have to be your own best advocate when it comes to making this hugely beneficial change in your life. So research, read, research some more. Go back through old posts here to see the answers to most all of the questions that you will have...trust me, they're most likely addressed in detail. When you become confused, stressed out by the changes, or have questions that you haven't seen asked, DO POST YOUR CONCERNS. 9 times out of 10 someone will be right there w/ some guidance.

This isn't meant to sound harsh. You will achieve the most success if you take your low carb education as seriously as you would any college class. Most of the folks here do, for sure. That means you need to come in w/the basic knowledge of how this works, and continue your education from there by asking questions when necessary. It really works best that way because then you're invested in the process. The "credits" you'll earn (college analogy again) will be vastly improved health and in most cases some pretty impressive weight loss.

Again, welcome! If you need any LC friends, feel free to add me. :-)
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Welcome Renee, I'm new as well, only been on Keto for about a month. I've read so much about this lifestyle I think I over done it lol, but as I read more I discover a lot of interesting thigs. The information is there and freely available to everyone who wants to change and improve their lifestyle.
    My best wishes to you!
    Marina
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Hi Renee, Welcome!

Yes, indeed, the LCD Launchpad is your first stop. There is more than one way to low carb. Finding the style that suits you as a individual will be your starting point. This is covered in some detail in the Launchpad. Like tru2one, I suggest you give it a read through, read through some of the older discussions (there is a LOT of information, suggestions and help) and feel free to ask about concerns or questions you might have.

A piece of advice: eat the low carb foods that YOU. You don't like bacon (chuckle) don't eat it. Choose another meat. You don't need to be miserable on low carb. Eat all the fat.

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Welcome Renee. Yes, this is a journey of learning and discovery for sure, but it's a journey of excitement too, and the people in this group are awesome!
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name's Renee! I'm here in hopes to learn about carbs what's considered good & what's bad. I need to learn all I can as much as I can as I am now borderline diabetic & my mom is severely diabetic. I need to learn about carbs and sugar but sugars are the easy part. I can't wait to meet all of ya'll!

Hi Renee and welcome to this group. I can readily endorse the above advice. I wish you well on your journey to an active and healthy life.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Welcome and feel free to add me. I'm a veteran diabetic of 10 years. I tried to follow the plans given to me by nutritionists and recycled the same 5 - 10 lbs, plus a few more each time. I recently accepted that I will never be able to process carbs properly. I'm ok with it now though. Since switching to LCHF my BG has stabilized, except for something called the dawn phenomenon, I have a ton of energy and no sugar cravings. Oh, and inspire of eating a whole lot of calories I'm slowly starting to lose.
  • kerri02780
    kerri02780 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Kerri, I'm new to this group :) I have lost 30 lbs so far doing lchf I absolutely love it! Looking for some inspiration and motivation to stay on track, and maybe make some new friends along the way!
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Welcome Renee and Kerri. Always good to have lots of support and motivation in the group. I am Chris
  • ibetty55
    ibetty55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is a great place for inspiration and motivation
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

Hi Renee,

I am a diabetic for over 15 years. And morbidly obese, insulin resistant and metabolic syndrome. Instead of typing a bunch of stuff here, you can read my blog. I want to help people with this diet, I feel blessed by God to find this way of living and an answer to my prayers. So I want to share what I have learned.

In my blog, there are many short info pages about diabetics, what its like to be extremely fat, my journey, video and books that converted me to Ketogenic diet. (I was on the path to get bariatric surgery). I also have a page with links to good Keto sites. And there is an abbreviation, terms and acronyms blog about this diet that you will need when everyone doesn't take the time to spell things out.

Here is the link:

Blog #1 It's Ketogenic or Bariatric!

At the bottom of each blog is a link to direct you to the next one.

Also there is another really friendly and good group on MFP called Keto. It doesn't have as many people on it as this group, but its a good place to learn from.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

PS feel free to add me

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    kerri02780 wrote: »
    Hi, my name is Kerri, I'm new to this group :) I have lost 30 lbs so far doing lchf I absolutely love it! Looking for some inspiration and motivation to stay on track, and maybe make some new friends along the way!

Welcome Kerri, and well done on your great achievement so far!

• DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Welcome ladies, so glad you found us! This forum is full of a lot of kind and informative people. Everyone speaks from their own personal experiences, and no one attacks one another...so refreshing from the main forums!

Renee, your story resonates well with my own. I have two insulin dependent parents and older siblings going down the same path. I just won't do it to myself, which lead me to the LCHF and Keto boards. I have learned so much in the past 5 months here and finally feel that I can control my health and my weight.

Best of luck to all!
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Welcome Renee and Kerri! I am fairly new here as well but couldn't have found a better place to be right now. These people are awesome. You will find lots of support here. Feel free to add me as a friend. Carol
  • cherylann11
    cherylann11 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, today is day 1 of lchf, so far so good, I'm finding it hard to get my head around actually eating fat! ( after eating low fat/ calorie for years)
    I need some lchf buddies!!
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, today is day 1 of lchf, so far so good, I'm finding it hard to get my head around actually eating fat! ( after eating low fat/ calorie for years)

Welcome! Good luck on your first day, it will get easier, as you get more into it except "Keto flue" period. Don't give up and don't be afraid of fat, it's a good word.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

Welcome! And, make sure you supplement your sodium and probably magnesium and potassium. Otherwise the keto flu can really make you feel lousy.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Welcome, ladies!

The 3 tools that will be the best things for you are:
    1. Education
    2. Consistency
    3. Patience

Use them with determination, and time will hand you better health and success.
    Make use of us and our links to knock out #1.
    The rest is all YOU. You have that much power! Use it.

Best wishes!
  • ibetty55
    ibetty55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    baconslave That needs to be part of the introduction launch pad! (If it's already there I missed it)
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi to the new members! I am a rookie also. This group is wonderful. I check in every day for ideas, encouragement and smiles. Learning to eat the LCHF way is a process that takes time but is so interesting and well worth the effort. The more you learn, the more sense it all makes. Welcome!