FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
pure-barre-valentines-day-promo.jpg?w=620&h=320

fitspiration4.jpg

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

FINALLY!!! I got out and ran...with my new watch. I've waited a whole week and it was supposed to be ahhhmazing. But it kinda sucked. :( I just couldn't keep my HR down to where it should be. Idk if it was because it'd been a week since I ran, maybe was a little dehydrated, or because of the new HR strap (can those things get outta whack?). Anyway, there was also lots of traffic plus lots of obstacles (cars parked on the sidewalks), so just lots of problems. Oh, and some cold rain. grr. Finally, on the way back I had to abandon my HR target. The whole way back is uphill and I usually "run" (if you can call it that) some and walk some per my HRM. But with the way things were (I was having to walk in places I usually could run), I knew there was no way. Anyway, I stayed at an easy pace. God knows i coulda had a conversation...I think I could've given a speech, followed by singing the National Anthem. Sigh. Idk. I just think I need a better way of figuring out my target heart rate for aerobic training, in case the equation I used has it too low. I don't want to be spinning my wheels. Anyway, next time I'm using my old HR strap with my new watch. I'll still get GPS map, but I won't get any of the cool running metrics without the special strap, but I've got to get to the bottom of this. I hope it works out okay so I can resume, because I should be getting better/faster at this point but instead today was my hands-down slowest day yet. :(

Hope everyone's having a great day, and Happy Valentine's too!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Laura, 7 miles last week, 8 miles this week. It sounds like you're running to me. :) Hope that this coming week is better for you.

Sorry you're run didn't go as well as you'd like, Sherry.

I got a FitBit Surge last weekend. It's a long story

My work has a program (Virgin Health) where steps and active steps are counted and slowly add up to points that can be exchanged for gift certificates. It's kindof weird because at times we're not allowed to gave any electronics on us at work, so we can't wear the pedometer that the work's health program uses while we're actually at work. But I can wear it at home and I do walk and run a lot more when I'm not at work than when I am. So I've gotten the hang of it.

So on Friday I went to work as usual, worked my usual half day Friday, and came home from work and when I went to upload my steps, my pedometer for the program was dead. I went out immediately and bought a new battery. Still dead, with no warning. I went to the program on the internet to buy a new one ... a little frustrating as since I've joined this program, about a third of the money I "earn" from doing this program goes into buying new program pedometers from them. This time though it appears that the program also can handle steps coming in from a FitBit. So I looked into them.

The Charge HR seemed to be the one I wanted, but the work program was offering a bonus for miles walked from Feb 10-16 and I could get a Surge from Amazon on Sunday and for no more than the cost it would be anywhere else (the Charge is more expensive on Amazon then anywhere else, plus they didn't have any in stock). So I decided to go for the more expensive Surge and see if I can use it as a running watch as well.

When I went to work on Monday I had a note from a colleague. When he left work on Friday, he had accidentally taken my pedometer home (from the storage area we have to leave them in) and left his broken one where mine had been. So, my original pedometer was returned and is working fine.

So I'm trying to figure out the Surge without actually reading the directions. It's not working very well. I've had it for a week and I am figuring things out, but there still seems to be a lot about this watch that I haven't gotten right yet. I haven't actually managed to use it for exercise. I am, however, using it for steps, "active time" (which I'm not 100% sure how it's figuring out), stairs, sleep, and resting HR. It's comfortable and I basically like it, but I know that I'm missing out on a lot, else, that it does.

I'm still using my original pedometer for the work program, so I'm wearing both when not at work and neither when I am.

Fells and I did our long run on Friday, which was just 5.3 miles this week. Then I ran to the body conditioning class this morning and back. My legs were really tired by the last bit toward my house. Not enough for me to stop and nothing hurt, but they were feeling like noodles. I was hoping for a short run with Fells tomorrow, but might take both dogs for a walk instead.

Next week's plan is for 3 mile run/kettleball class on Monday, rest Tuesday, 3 mile run/trainer workout on Wednesday, and short run on Thursday. Friday through Sunday I'm in charge of a nosework trial from dawn to dark and may or may not get any running in. A lot of walking is guaranteed.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Donna I had the Surge & exchanged it for the Charge HR, but it was $100 less (REI) so there was a big difference. Message me questions on the Surge & I'm happy to help you out. I had my Garmin still for GPS so I really didn't need that.

I swam this morning, bought a car (Subaru), went to the location of my gym near the dealership to get in my run while they were getting the new car ready for me (washed, gas, etc) only to realize I hadn't packed a sports bra. Cannot run without one, so I wandered around Target while I waited. Got the car, stopped to show my parents, came home, ate dinner (didn't get a real lunch), and am digesting now. Will head to the gym soon. It's 7:15pm & I'm on the couch with a snuggling cat so that will require some effort. Then again it's a chance to drive my new car!
  • Aprilfoolbride
    Aprilfoolbride Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Happy Valentine's Day all!